Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anybody managed to sleep in the aygoX ?

haelewyn

I am asking cause hotel prices have gone up so much. About doubled since pre covid on most destinations.

I was wondering if I could use the X as a big tent (although...  big..?)

So would it be OK to ask the most daft question of the day today ? 

Has anybody used the aygo or X to spend the night sleeping ?

I am a bit afraid I would have to ask somebody to open a back door and pull my arms or legs until I come out completely.

Your opinions ?

Hi Ivan,

There are other cheaper options then a hotel. Bed and breakfast, premier inns, caravan or mobile home static night rentals. Air bnb to name a few. 

It depend on how many nights you are looking for but sleeping in a car is not a great idea. And if it is a holiday or a special occasion then I would definitely want a good night's sleep especially if a good meal and a few drinks are in the mix.👍

• Like 5

Not slept in an Aygo, but have in a hired Fiat panda on the Italian side of the Austrian/Italian border of the Brenner pass when every b and b and hotel was full in Italian holiday season.

I would not recommend it unless you are young and fit, as I was then .

Even so it was uncomfortable to say the least.

Looking back, I would say book something with a bed, even if a bit extra money.

Just find a strong person to pull you out if you go with the car option.

• Like 5

I've slept in my old Mk1 Yaris, albeit in the passenger seat with it tilted all the way back. It was a surprisingly good night's sleep until the morning seagulls invaded the carpark and woke me up, but I wouldn't want to do it repeatedly!

There are some more extreme and pretty hilarious and bonkers examples on Youtube if you search for "sleeping in X", where X is aygo, yaris, fiesta etc :laugh: 

• Like 5

Had to once in MK3 Yaris back seats due to leaving keys indoors. It wasn't comfortable at all, did not get much kip. Also had to use outdoor loo wild west style. Be prepared, for one night you can survive. 

• Like 4

Are there not the equivalent of youth hostels which are significantly cheaper than hotels and usually have no upper age limit.

Eg: a youth hostel in Bokrijk costs €24.60 per night for someone aged over 30.

• Like 5

I was used before to sleep in a doblo but that was rather ok.

Although every time I did that in winter (tried it one time in Danmark  and one time in poland), I came back sick.

Always throat infections.

Did a 5 day trip to sicily and back one time with a vectra sedan.

Drove 1000 km a day, for 5 days in a row.  Always slept well because at the end of the day, I was terribly tired.

The last night of the trip,  I went for a b&b / pub in Germany. 

But I was in my thirties then 😀

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

At there not the equivalent of youth hostels which are significantly cheaper than hotels and usually have no upper age limit.

Eg: a youth hostel in Bokrijk costs €24.60 per night for someone aged over 30.

I used to sleep in youth hostels in Scotland... always liked them a lot. No idea if they would still have me because of age.

No idea what they cost nowadays.

Was a bit army style comfort and beds.

In the morning the first 2 or 3 had warm water in the showers .... the other 122 didn't. 

One of the managers told me one day that they had a choice about that because of government rules.  

Install hot water for all customers or close the place by next year.

These would do fine though...   I would just have to forget my germ fobia about getting covid again.

Edit : just bought a membership card again. 

Edit 2 : see this conversion  😀

• Like 3

I had an old Talbot autosleeper a few years ago, different kettle of fish, I know.

But very comfortable, and leak free due to one piece fibreglass living area,no joins, no leaks.

Sleeping in cars and on the beach is for the young uns imo.

• Like 3

Of course you can sleep in any car as long as you can stretch on the seat. You will need two small pillows, IKEA has a good selection. You need two instead of one because the headrests are tricky and with two, one over the other you can actually create a natural curve and make a more comfortable position for your neck. Also best not to fully recline the seat but just before it gets flat with slight angle upward is great.
Make sure you have some small cosy blankets too to cover yourself. Tesco sells the best.  You and a partner can  easily sleep no problems.
And remembered to lock your doors. Enjoy your car sleep. 😂👌

• Like 3

nah cheaper to stay at home and do day trips lol. I think it also depends on when you go as well - I always book self catering cottages in late September or October, they're much cheaper.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Ivan,

There are other cheaper options then a hotel. Bed and breakfast, premier inns, caravan or mobile home static night rentals. Air bnb to name a few. 

It depend on how many nights you are looking for but sleeping in a car is not a great idea. And if it is a holiday or a special occasion then I would definitely want a good night's sleep especially if a good meal and a few drinks are in the mix.👍

I recently had one night in a DoubleTree Hilton. It was cheaper than the Premier Inn.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Donrald said:

I recently had one night in a DoubleTree Hilton. It was cheaper than the Premier Inn.

Are but you wouldn't have had a chance to meet Lenny Henry would you😅

• Haha 1

I remember seeing him at Brant road social club on a Saturday night, when he was fresh from new faces.

He was the turn between the bingo and the pie and peas supper.

As the late Bob Monkhouse said "they said I would never become a comedian,well nobody's laughing now"

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Bper said:

Are but you wouldn't have had a chance to meet Lenny Henry would you😅

Sorry, but that is lost on me.

5 hours ago, Donrald said:

Sorry, but that is lost on me.

Lenny Henry promotes Premier Inns on TV.😃

• Like 1

I was actually thinking of installing myself on the back seat..  no idea if there is a space to be found that is spacious enough.

These are days I wish I bought a camry 😀

Or a stationwagon corolla.

11 hours ago, haelewyn said:

I was actually thinking of installing myself on the back seat..  no idea if there is a space to be found that is spacious enough.

These are days I wish I bought a camry 😀

Or a stationwagon corolla.

Back seats aren’t comfortable to sleep at all in a small cars and best to be avoided. I have a great experience sleeping in a car, trust me. Only front seats are ok. The rear seats are good on estate cars that can be folded completely flat and using a mattress topper cut to size you can actually create a proper double bed and sleep good  for more than one night. All you need is pillows and blankets. When you are sleeping most important is to have your legs stretched, otherwise you will wake up with muscles pain and feel more tired than before.
Aygo cars are roomy on the front and rear is more like a luggage area. Now another thing to organise are sun or privacy blinds and do the windows before you go to sleep. Street lights or even the moon light can be very distracting and also the cars that may drive around. Amazon has a good selection of blinds that will help. 6 Pcs Car Windshield Sunshade, Car Sun Shade, Blocks UV Rays Sun Visor Protector, Front Window Sunshades, Foldable Car Sunshade Windscreen for SUV Truck to Keep Vehicle Cooler https://amzn.eu/d/4hYKFZf

• Like 1

Thanks, will keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Unless you are very short you'd be unlikely to be able to lie across the back seats, and you don't want to sit upright in them to sleep or you'll probably be cramped as heck in the morning! If you fold them all down, slide the passenger seat forward and tilt it as far forward as possible you might be able to lay some bedding down to make a flatish surface and lie lengthways with your feet in the boot and your head on the back of the passenger seat, like some of those crazy youtubers do, but if it's just a one-off, easier just to sleep in the front passenger seat with it tilted back like I did in my Mk1 :laugh: 

• Like 3

The idea was : slide the right front seat as forward as possible. 

Sit in the back, half sitting - half laying down with both feet on the ground where front seat (right) leaves a bigger space to put feet.

Making use of a good pillow and 2 cushions. 

Just don't know how I will be able to get out through the small door gaps the next day if everything hurts when I get up.

I'm 1.78 m tall, by the way.

• Like 2

I have only been in an Aygo X for around 2 minutes in total (showroom model), but, does the rear seat base easily come out?  If it does, will this offer you extra choice with regards to having the rear seat backs flat, and having your legs part-way into the boot space? 

So this needs you to adopt a 'foetal' sleeping position, and preferably use a plywood deck across the area above the fuel tank, and also above the rear seat foot well area, this would need supporting in the footwells with large plastic containers (cheap) and/or wooden supports.

All a bit involved, and lots of reasons why this wouldn't work, but thought I'd chuck it in anyway!

FWIW, in our Skoda, taking the rear seat base out makes everything more practical with regards to getting a flat surface in the back.

(Seat base gets left at home, and some sort of mattress is required, obviously.)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links