Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota's Dash Cams - Any Good?

Alan Hurst

Any thoughts on Toyota's 'in-house' dash cams - are they any good, or would I be better going for an independent brand?

Being rather 'mechanically constipated' I am just a bit concerned that if their own cams are as difficult to fathom and operate as the infotainment system in my RAV4, I might end up wishing I'd chosen a different make.....

Thanks Bob, that is appreciated.  I will check out reviews for that camera.

Good cameras, independent from Toyota, good support, but not the only kid on the block.

Good features are satnav information, speed details, audio, clarity.

If it's of any help, I have a Nextbase 322GW my C-HR, my wife uses the Nextbase 380GW in her Yaris, my son has the Nextbase 421GW in his Aygo, as has my daughter.

In all the years we've used Nextbase we had one incident where a camera mount failed. This was replaced free of charge by Nextbase.

Many years I used 70mai WiFi DVR camera from Xiaomi, it's small, can be easily hidden backside of the mirror, it makes good quality movies even in 2K, no need to set 4K filming and it has no display, connects easily to the phone.

Screenshot_20230703-0907522.thumb.png.2b4fc75d03a6f81ff6203e3a84f2bc75.png

I was very happy with this camera, but I took it out of the car because it became redundant after I installed an Android Auto / Car Play player. 

Make sure whichever cam you get, it has a super capacitor. 

This 70mai cam has super capacitor insteed of lithium accumulator and the player has also super capacitor.  In addition, DVR of player saves movies in H.265 video encoding, this saves memory and if the power suddenly cuts the videoclip can be visualized without any problem.

• Like 1

Nextbase cameras have batteries in them, not super capacitor. From experience, Battery based Dashcam will last about 4 years, before Battery starts to play up.
Make sure the camera is installed within the wiper cleaning area. I see lots of dealer installed dashcams at the top of the windscreen, which is pointless. Ask to hardwire to the fuse box as well.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My new Corolla is fitted with a Nextbase system, front and rear, it has a Battery and is hard wired. 

Instructions say that with the Battery fitted to avoid the camera constantly recording you must select parking mode. With the Battery it also requires a constant live feed. 

This set up drains the 12VOLT battery if the car is left parked up for a few days. I've added a solar panel but still not enough to keep the battery 12v battery charged. Unclipping the front camera and removing it's battery improves the solar panels ability to just about keep the car battery at around 12 volts, not really good enough but often have to leave the car when away. 

Not sure what the answer is !

I have the Nextbase front and rear, AFAIK I have the Battery pack.   I have an insignificant Battery drain.  I dont know it that is due to the camera or normal.  Either way it has not been a problem.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links