Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vibrations fron the front while slowing down 60mph to 50mph

dads Taxi x3

Hi everyone 

This is the main reason of joining as who else to ask than fans of the car .

When in in the passenger seat an my son is driving  when he slows down from 70 or 60mph  down to 50mph there is a slight vibrations in the foot well an he says on the brake pedal .soon as it hits 49mph it stops .

Now when the car got 4 ppl in the car and again slowing down there is a lot more vibrations  again hit 49mph it goes.  

It's only felt in the footwell an brake pedal. 

No vibrations in the steering wheel car does not pull to left or right .

Checked the wheels no play at all .

Brand new tyres (2 months old ) .

Iv been told its a warped disk ??? Is that about right .. 

Now chuck a spanner in the works . The driver side I spotted when the wheel was off  the small screw that holds the brake disk on has snapped  clean off . Could that be cause  vibrating. 

The brake disk and pads are one year old this week and done 2500 miles or so . No scratches or marks on disks or pads . 

Thanks any help will do . 

Hi, 

as you described the vibrations by general mechanics rule we are talking about rear brakes problems. Has your car fitted with rear brake discs or drums? Also some pictures of the front and rear wheels and brakes  will be a good idea and may help us suggest you next steps. 
Warp discs is only a myth or name of the real problem which is called DTV disc thickness variation if you think about research online.
New brakes if installed incorrectly at this mileage is just about right to cause vibrations as a result of dtv. However if the fronts are the reason the vibrations should be felt on the steering wheel mostly and brake pedal will be pulsating. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd suggest this is a rear brake problem. You don't give the mileage but with a 10+ year old car I'd advise a clean and thorough inspection of the rear brake assembly.  Possibly new drums and shoes depending on what you find.  Buy decent quality parts (e.g. pair of Mintex drums under £50 and shoes less than £25).  Change the fluid too, unless you know its been done in the last year or so.

Missing disc screw is not a problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Iain,

From your description my guess is that the rear drums have become distorted, gone out of round slightly, and this will cause the symptoms you describe exactly. Time to consider getting a new pair of rear drums and if your doing that you'll be needing to replace the brake shoes on both rear wheels, would say that it's not a serious problem as the car will stop ok for you but the pulsing brake pedal and vibration through the floor will remain until it's fixed, you'll likely also find you can feel the vibrations in "ya bum" through the seats when this happens

Agree with mrfixer on this one.

• Like 2

Hi thanks for the information an replying . 

Sorry I should have said some things you pointed out . 

It's done 135000 

It's disks front an drums on the back

I don't know when they was changed or the brake fluid 

I only know the front  due to the seller having the receipts for the parts . 

When braking towards 50mph  its pulsing (better than vibrations) on the brake pedal 

BUT I feel the vibrations in passenger  footwell . 

There is no other place you feel these pulsing or vibrations 

Not in steering or under you bum 

Completely nothing anywhere else  than pedal an footwell .

I  will check the back brakes today or weds and get back to you 

The reason I didn't check the back as its only felt in the front   but I'll check 

So thank you  giving me somthing to look at an poss fix . 

An thanksn for the info on the screw as that looks like a real pain in the toolbox 

• Like 1

Pulsing in the pedal without corresponding shaking through the steering is invariably rear brakes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

Hi thanks for the information an replying . 

Sorry I should have said some things you pointed out . 

It's done 135000 

It's disks front an drums on the back

I don't know when they was changed or the brake fluid 

I only know the front  due to the seller having the receipts for the parts . 

When braking towards 50mph  its pulsing (better than vibrations) on the brake pedal 

BUT I feel the vibrations in passenger  footwell . 

There is no other place you feel these pulsing or vibrations 

Not in steering or under you bum 

Completely nothing anywhere else  than pedal an footwell .

I  will check the back brakes today or weds and get back to you 

The reason I didn't check the back as its only felt in the front   but I'll check 

So thank you  giving me somthing to look at an poss fix . 

An thanksn for the info on the screw as that looks like a real pain in the toolbox 

Hi Iain,

I'm sure at the end of the day this will definately turn out to be distorted rear drum(s), I've experienced the same myself in the past.

One thing I would say is that you'll likely not be able to see the actual distortion! The only 100% way of checking for that is taking them to an engineering place and have them put a special gauge on the inner surface drum(s) to check if they're out of round. 135K on a small car like the Aygo is a lot of miles so probabley less fuse and stress to get new drums and shoes and replace.

The most likely cause for the drums being distorted is that at some point the rear drums have been over heated, either they've been binding to a degree or the car being driven very enthusiastically followed by being parked and the handbrake applied on hard. If the drums are original they're more likely going to be more prone to this. If the drums are well worn you will likley have a problem getting them off as the drum will will have developed a ridge on the back edge which the shoes will hold onto.

Oh and that small screw on the front disc, nothing to worry about like mrfixer says, but you can get those screws  from eBay for around £5 for a set or get stung for £5 for one!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The car is on stands so I'll be checking the back brakes tomorrow. So thank you for your help as I would never thought that vibrations in the front would be caused in the back so you saved me a lot of head scratching/stress  as its for learning the kids in and want the car 100% when there in there   so many thanks   iain 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links