Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I Sell It?..

JT

i do really like my car, but im getting sick of having manual everything, no power steering, and of the fact that the only people who appreciate it are those that have owned one - to 99% of ppl it's an old B reg corolla.

i couldn't afford a CRX when i bought this, but i probably could now, if i sold the rolla. and they have power steering, leather, blah blah blah. my only prob would be finding a decent one, and one that hasn't done an intergalactic mileage. or, my other option would be to spend a bit more money on the AE82, but in some ways i begrudge doing that, because i kinow ill never see it back. AND, i know id probably regret selling it - ill never find another as good.

what does everyone think!? :unsure::help:

I know what you mean about it being an Corolla to 99% of people - I still get that when i get an AE82 (although haven't had one for a while)

Had loads of crx vtec (over 30...!) to be honest they are a better car in my view - full electrics/leather, ABS, and of course the almighty VTEC POWER... (By the way they dont have POWER STEERING)

Personally mate if you can afford it - and hand around finding the 'right one' i'd go for a VTEC...

Rash

There's a difficult one mate....what do you do.......i have been puzzleing over the same thing for about the last six to eight months.

its a decision only you can make and when you do no matter which way you decide you will regret it for about a month.

there are two's and fro's for both arguments

but if you want my two peneth, i think the motor you have at the moment is an absolute beaut. just think about things like insurance running costs etc before making a decision. :thumbsup:

rash, i take it you've none in now then? that celestial blue is my fav colour!

i hear what you're saying as well gus. im certainly not just gonna go and sell it tomorrow. its just a bit disheartening sometimes, when you spend money on it and people are like, "what are you bothering for on a 19 yr old corolla - its probably only worth £500". (btw, before anyone has any ideas, its worth a LOT more than £500 :P ) - but there's another problem, what id get for it.

as far as running costs go, tax will be the same, insurance about £30 more per year, and id imagine fuel consumption would be pretty much the same.

lol, but then i think, ive spent a year doing it up, only to sell it a few months after starting driving it. IM SO UNDECIDED!

Hi JT,

unfortunately none in at the mo - last one i had was just over a fortnight ago...

To be honest the ONLY reason you should buy one over your corolla (which is a lovely mota by the way) is if it is a proper genuine motor - low miles/mint condition.. otherwise keep the corolla as i know you'll be hard pressed to find another - also the Corolla can only rise in value due to the fact it is damn hard to find a decent AE82......!

Rash.

I am changing over to Vtec power just sold my Corolla T-Sport and pick up a 2001 Accord Type-R in a week and 1/2 time, I cant wait.

What do you thing, 217BHP goes like stink!

Accord_R_3.jpg

as the dog from the ad would say "oh, NO NO NO NO NO......."

I have been in your situation, i had a rolla AE82 GT, my bro in law had a celestial blue 91 CRX V-T. his dad bourght him a new civic when he had his first child and offerd it to me. ( not the child, althoe i know which i would prefer!)

any way, dident get the CRX, because when we both went out racing there was nothing in it between the cars, at the end of the day any one can buy a CRX they ain't that rare, look at the reasons why you have the rolla and not say an MR2 or saxo, be indvidual.

P.S to draw this to an end i sold the rolla got a 306, 12 months later now have have 2 GT's and making one good one from the 2. :thumbsup:

if the rolla is your daily drive consider geting a cheap diesel and having 2 cars it is not that expensive.

How about just upgrading to the AE92 GTI?

It's got Power steering, and Electric everthing. Looks alot more modern than the AE82 aswell!!

JT keep your rolla coz it iz hard to find one of these ae82's nowadays

i've got a white one that i never eant too sell had it for 2 years now

i am still lookingfor another ae82 they are just fab carz

u can get crx's all day long

they are on sale everywhere

corollaz are hard 2 find think about that m8

look at the reasons why you have the rolla and not say an MR2 or saxo, be indvidual.

Shame on you!!! Putting an MR2 in the same sentance as a Saxo! :o

Go and wash your mouth out youn man.!!!!!!! :!Removed!:

BTW - MR2's are not THAT common. :ffs:

My appolgies Earl.....

i notice you drive an MR2 turbo t-bar. i also notice this your particular MR2 is number 6 on the list with rocking horse ****, hen's teeth ect.......

The point i was trying to make is that a crx and a corolla don't really compair, ok the CRX is a rare beast but the rolla is on a level playing field VA VA voom wise if you know how to drive it.

besides who gives a ***** the guy should not sell it, after all the thing is appreciating in value!

P.S have you had any probs with your MR2-t ? i like the Mk2 t-bar and with a turbo to boot i think it's probbly the car i would die in (well in the rain, or do you take the safe option and get the bus?)

ae82gt,where bouts in kent are you from?im moving back the next week,would be nice to see some more gti's about!

as the dog from the ad would say "oh, NO NO NO NO NO......."

I have been in your situation, i had a rolla AE82 GT, my bro in law had a celestial blue 91 CRX V-T. his dad bourght him a new civic when he had his first child and offerd it to me. ( not the child, althoe i know which i would prefer!)

any way, dident get the CRX, because when we both went out racing there was nothing in it between the cars, at the end of the day any one can buy a CRX they ain't that rare, look at the reasons why you have the rolla and not say an MR2 or saxo, be indvidual.

P.S to draw this to an end i sold the rolla got a 306, 12 months later now have have 2 GT's and making one good one from the 2. 

if the rolla is your daily drive consider geting a cheap diesel and having 2 cars it is not that expensive

it would be expensive for me - im only 17 :crybaby: . i hear what you're saying about the rarity thing, though (btw, have u any pics of your GT? :thumbsup: )

How about just upgrading to the AE92 GTI?

It's got Power steering, and Electric everthing. Looks alot more modern than the AE82 aswell!!

4 groups higher to insure (so i can't), not as quick, prefer the looks of the AE82, still loads of em about.

well, ill keep everyone posted on what i eventually do. im just gonna keep an eye out for a good crx. if one doesn't come about locally, then ill probably keep it. but if someone were to make a strong offer on the twincam, id probably be very tempted! :P

DONT GET A !Removed! VTEC HONDA X_X

if you want !Removed! power buy a supra...

you better mean delsol crx btw, the ONLY good looking ones, the rest are peices of ****.

if you buy a honda you must also leave these forums and i will laugh at you :)

ae82gt,where bouts in kent are you from?im moving back the next week,would be nice to see some more gti's about!

I'm in Tunbridge Wells, i must add i'm at least 2/3 months away from completion, had a good laugh this weekend hacking the sills off my donor AE82! ready to be welded on to the beast!

other than that just fitting pannels / ICE / new suspension / disks & pads / and off i go. i'm going to run it looking s#it for a while give it a good shake down then re spray (white - the only colour) i'll post pic's

4 groups higher to insure (so i can't), not as quick, prefer the looks of the AE82, still loads of em about.

They aint 4 groups higher at all mate!

AE82 GT is insurance group 12.

AE92 GTI is insurance group 13.

CRX non-V-T is insurance group 14.

CRX V-T is insurance group 15.

That is info from CIS Insurance company.

There is no difference in speed from the '82 to the '92, unless you get the non-T-VIS model AE92 which has 7 more bhp due to its narrow port head design, max power kicks in at 7200rpm instead of 6600prm like our motors! Plus you can rev it to 7200rpm every time without worry due to it has a stonger block with bigger crank journals & small end bearings!

I do agree about the looks tho! AE82 has got alot more classic looks about it!

Your in the same boat as me cuz as u no i was going to sell my '82 for a CRX, but now im doing an engine rebuild im not going to bother selling it!

Advantages of a Corolla:

4 seats! But can sit 5! That is great for when you want to get your mates in the back for trips to Newquay etc! Plus a good size boot!

No PAS! That is a good thing! More feed back through the wheel, and less things to go wrong! E.G. PAS pump/rack.

Quote by Rash

(By the way they dont have POWER STEERING)

This is also true unless you get an import CRX!

The more electrics you have the more can go wrong! And that means more money, especially cuz its Jap! Always expensive!

If you ask me keep the Corolla, Lower it 35mm with stiffer springs! Fit a exhaust system and air filter! Keep it in good nick and watch the value rise! As everyone else has said they are getting hard to find especially in cond like yours! :thumbsup: :D ;)

They aint 4 groups higher at all mate!

AE82 GT is insurance group 12.

AE92 GTI is insurance group 13.

CRX non-V-T is insurance group 14.

CRX V-T is insurance group 15.

That is info from CIS Insurance company.

well, i dont get it then. im with CIS, and they won't quote me at all on an AE92, yet provide the exact same price for a VT and non-VT CRX, which is only about £50 more than the AE82. i always thought mine was group 10, as ive always been quoted the same price as other cars in group 10.

im not really keen on the AE92 anyway, tbh. i hear what you're saying about the steering as well, but ive a strong suspiscion mine's not as it should be. there's quite a lot of play around the striaght ahead position, where the wheel is quite light. when you "wiggle" it, the wheels do move - so it's not all free play, but it never really feels right. and it always feels as if you need armfuls of lock (but i think thats just the way it is :D )

unless i find a mint VTEC at the right money, in the right colour, i wont sell it. its just im getting paranoid about the tailgate (2 small bubbles appearing below screen) which i know they all go on (but its a pain in the ***** to get sorted) and also its gone in a few places along the back of the roof, where the tailgate bolts on. so far as i can see, there's no real way of sorting that, due to its position, so apart from rustproofing it (which i have) its probs just gonna get worse :crybaby:

anyone else had these probs with an '82?

To be honest m8, U gonna get rust with any car of that age you buy I think. Ive been around CRX's alot in the past and they DEFINATELY arent rustproof.

Ive yet to see one with no rust around the rear arches that hasnt had work done (they go real bad around here on the bodywork and up in the arch). If U buy one that looks mint, make sure the arches have been cared for or repaired well (IE - welding a new arch in!)

They also end to leak in the boot as the hatch is so big and the seals go so check for rust here also!

In terms of the CRX your AE82 its completley up2U I guess. IMHO I think the CRX is a better looking car and they are completely indestructable engine wise. (I have a video of a group of tosspots running one bouncing off the limiter with no oil or water in it and it runs for 27mins before catching fire and stopping - Thats reliability).

Performance wise I gather there about the same from what other people on here have said! I recon that the CRX may just have the advantage acceleration wise coz of the 8k redline!

The CRX has electric windows, sunroof and mirrors. Half leather interior and some sweet seats, but Ive never seen inside an AE82. UK Spec CRX's def have no PAS. The Jap spec ones (better ones to have) such as the Si (UK 16V spec) and SiR (UK VTEC spec) do have power steering and also air con. Some have lovely glass roofs also! :thumbsup:

If you want some more info on the CRX's try www.hondacrx.co.uk/forum

Is a shame to change sell AE82 as its in such mint condition tho. Every other one I have seen is ragged! Look after it m8!

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Ad

To be honest m8, U gonna get rust with any car of that age you buy I think. Ive been around CRX's alot in the past and they DEFINATELY arent rustproof.

Ive yet to see one with no rust around the rear arches that hasnt had work done (they go real bad around here on the bodywork and up in the arch). If U buy one that looks mint, make sure the arches have been cared for or repaired well (IE - welding a new arch in!)

They also end to leak in the boot as the hatch is so big and the seals go so check for rust here also!

In terms of the CRX your AE82 its completley up2U I guess. IMHO I think the CRX is a better looking car and they are completely indestructable engine wise. (I have a video of a group of tosspots running one bouncing off the limiter with no oil or water in it and it runs for 27mins before catching fire and stopping - Thats reliability).

Performance wise I gather there about the same from what other people on here have said! I recon that the CRX may just have the advantage acceleration wise coz of the 8k redline!

The CRX has electric windows, sunroof and mirrors. Half leather interior and some sweet seats, but Ive never seen inside an AE82. UK Spec CRX's def have no PAS. The Jap spec ones (better ones to have) such as the Si (UK 16V spec) and SiR (UK VTEC spec) do have power steering and also air con. Some have lovely glass roofs also! 

If you want some more info on the CRX's try www.hondacrx.co.uk/forum

Is a shame to change sell AE82 as its in such mint condition tho. Every other one I have seen is ragged! Look after it m8!

cheers mate :thumbsup:

yeah, ive just joined that forum. im currently making enquiries about a red vt

but Ive never seen inside an AE82

trust me, you're not missing anything! :D mine's brown and tweedy. the birds can't get enough! thats why i like the crx's!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links