Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2018 Aygo- lack of power

EL92

I’ve a 2018 (auto) Aygo which I’ve had about 7 months now- 22k on the clock. No warning lights are on the dash but any road which isn’t flat/downhill the car struggles now.

Sometimes when I accelerate absolutely no additional power comes/nothing happens. For example when driving a slight incline up a slip road the other day no matter how much I accelerated the revs didn’t increase (even with my foot to the floor) and I was stuck doing 28mph trying to join a busy 70mph road.tried pumping the accelerator to jump it into change but nothing. When the road becomes flat it realised I’m accelerating and will jump into high revs/some power.

other times it sounds like the cars about to take off with revs just under the red- still lacking power and speed but it acknowledges I’ve my foot down. 

My first thoughts were maybe the clutch but my old Yaris did 80k and 14 years before that needed change. Any other suggestions/ideas what may be wrong?

I’m feeling increasingly terrified to even drive the hunk of metal after almost getting in an accident the other week with the whole lack of go issues. Garage I brought it from won’t look at it despite extended warranty I brought as ‘it’s normal for 1.0l cars’ 🙄  Any ideas so I can go back to them sounding like I know what I’m talking about is appreciated! 

1 hour ago, EL92 said:

I’ve a 2018 (auto) Aygo

55 minutes ago, Wiz201 said:

Are you driving manual or automatic?

Auto.

What is the service history? Servicing is every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. So a 2018 car should have had two Intermediate services and two full services, with another intermediate due this year. When was it last serviced?

• Like 1

Sounds like an MMT issue, either the clutch or clutch actuator

it needs a full diag

when you turn the ignition on does the engine light come on then go off as it should

edit. Every odd symptoms, no throttle, No rpm

the MMT aka X-shift does not act the same as a traditional auto, there is no kick down as such, use throttle - let the rpm's rise, back off the throttle and the gearbox will change up then back on the throttle

just like you would in a manual

I take it you are 1 foot driving, the left foot does nothing

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wiz201 said:

oh yeah duh! sorry.

Wasn't obvious ....

14 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Auto.

What is the service history? Servicing is every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. So a 2018 car should have had two Intermediate services and two full services, with another intermediate due this year. When was it last serviced?

Last serviced in November (full service). 5k miles since the last service and it had them per the handbook before then too yeah.

14 hours ago, flash22 said:

Sounds like an MMT issue, either the clutch or clutch actuator

it needs a full diag

when you turn the ignition on does the engine light come on then go off as it should

edit. Every odd symptoms, no throttle, No rpm

the MMT aka X-shift does not act the same as a traditional auto, there is no kick down as such, use throttle - let the rpm's rise, back off the throttle and the gearbox will change up then back on the throttle

just like you would in a manual

I take it you are 1 foot driving, the left foot does nothing

My last Toyota was an MMT too and the ‘pumping’ of the accelerator (I don’t know how else to describe it!) for gear changes does nothing in this car. If I ease off/push down again- the car stays at the same revs and speed.

I’m not the most clued up, but it screamed to me gearbox issues but I wanted to get some wiser opinions before I go back to the garage again! Thank you! ☺️

Did you buy the car from a Toyota dealer?

A 2018 Aygo, depending on what month in 2018 it was first registered, may still have some of the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty remaining. So

So if the extended warranty from your dealer does not cover the issue, the Toyota new car warranty might. But it would need to be assessed by a Toyota dealer.

• Like 1

yeah it does sound like gearbox issues, my last MMT was really responsive with gear changes when I took my foot off the accelarator. I used to sometimes make it change down with the paddles on the steering wheel if I needed to overtake something or just go a bit faster uphill.

• Like 1

It may not be an MMT issue, if it's holding rpm and not responding to throttle input something is up with the TPS

disconnect the Battery for 20 mins and let it all reset

go and get the Battery and alternator checked

if you have a 3rd party warranty, contact the provider with the info on the paperwork, (if they even put the warranty paperwork through)

when you turn the ignition on does the engine light come on then go off as it should ??

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links