Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Going to be an MOT fail

dads Taxi x3

Hi all as the aygo is due for the MOT I thought I'd book it in an today I thought I just check it all . 

Turn on the lights pop .the fuse popped.  So no dash.lights no back lights an no number plate lights 

Everthing else is working 

Iv even out in a 20 fuse and popped it  the fuse is a 7.5 thought I'd do a 20 to hit thro the mot . 

So what can be wrong and how to fix it . I have not touched any the cars electrics  as I was fitting front and back parking sensors  I run all the cable and a car sparky is to wire them up  now he's coming Monday to see what the prob   

Main reasone we don't have a car now . So wondering  if you guys can help . Cheers 

Hi Iain, 

You say you ran cables for the parking sensors that may be the cause, perhaps you have trapped or caught a cable when you ran the cables. However if you are confident you did not disturb or touch any wiring etc then have a look at this link to a post and it may help to trace the problem, Read down the post for a suggestion of what to check. Hope it helps until someone can give you a more informed answer.👍

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/102514-tail-lights-dashboard-illumination-fuse/

• Like 1

look for the fuse marked tail, a bulb may have blown dead short taking out the fuse

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

look for the fuse marked tail, a bulb may have blown dead short taking out the fuse

Hi don't want to sound stupid (prob do ) where will that fuse be under bonnet or on the dash/clock 

Cheers 

This is where I pushed the cables thro 

20230719_190639.jpg

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Fuse 4, internal F/B

https://fuse-box.info/toyota/toyota-aygo-ab10-2005-2014-fuses-and-relay

never replace a fuse with a larger amperage one, that's how fires start, a 7.5a fuse will pull up to 15a for 20-30 seconds

I just put it in just too see if it would work and so I could check if the power was still going thro the car .but soon as I turned the light switch on the stack its popped  just as fast as the 7.5 

Iv checked all the wires in the engine bay incase I damaged one but nothing its all clear . 

I'm going to take the back bumper off tomorrow to check the wires  (reg plate lights /wires ) as that was only one we touched other wires as we didn't take the whole bumper off we undone the left side an middle screws and moved it away from the car while the right side still in place .

All the ends of the wires on the parking sensors are in the boot ready to be wired to the car . 

Which is why I don't understand why this has happened  must be just coincidence its happened. 

Thanks for your help keep it coming 

Bit off a odd  Place to have fuses around the clock 

I did check the back lights today the reverse light works  and so does the brake light  yet the back light don't work  but it's a dubble filament bulb ???

I checked the no4 fuse with a multi meter in the right part (towards the bonnet ) it had just under 12v on the mulit meter but on the left (towards the seats ) side no power  it o.oo

So there is power from the Battery an stops at the fuse 

What makes a fuse pop I thought it was to much power ?? 

Sounds like a full short circuit in your case Iain. If the tail light is the one that's not working now try removing both of the bulbs and see if the fuse still blows like that. That would help identify the problem especially if Flash is right and one of the bulbs has failed and caused an internal short inside it.

• Thanks 1

The tail fuse covers  - Daytime running lights (if fitted) tail lights, Number plate lights, position lights, headlight beam level control system, instrument panel lights

Brake, fog and reverse are all on their own circuits, I suspect you have nicked a cable when drilling a hole

Let's narrow it down if it blows on just side lights - the rear tail and number plate lights come off the same feed - logically as you have drilled the bumper* the likely suspect is the number plate light loom is nicked and shorting on the bumper bar/reinforcement, the plate lights join he loom at the junction H22

kgb10H22tailjuct.thumb.jpg.b68192d535f65fde498fb27b6c724596.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi there . OK iv taken the bumpers off and where i have drilled there is no cables anywhere drill holes . There is no wires near the bumpers at all ( don't have running lights ) 

The numberplate lights cables are untouched  as there still covered in crap lol an iv checked them all way to the part where they go into the car . I have check the bulbs and the conectors going in to the bulb casing there all OK.  Went back to the front and there no electric cables in the front I followed the cables I put in an no damaged the cablel ties are loose (holding the new cables) 

Only part I can't check is where I put the cable thro the bulkhead (pic above ) they went tro one part that was all on its own. 

Iv checked the cables from the dash to the boot where they just in a pile to be connected to the car . I ran the cable along the door sill then around the door piller back under the door sill(back door ) then along under the cover next to the back seat in to the car 

I will now take up the plastic casing which is along the side the car to see if there is any wires (original car wires I might have damaged )  an see if there any damaged  .back in a bit .

Plz keep with the help as I'm jot getting anywhere.  And iv used up £10 worth fuse so far . Lol prob cheaper to pay a sparky  to find prob lol 

OK then guys taken all the door/sill plastics and nothing al wires are in there plastic covers no damage.  The cables I run along the sill doors are now along side with the originals cables .( and my god trying to take the back seat belt bolt out  jesus ) it was a hard job I tell but again no damage to the wires . I had my son in the foot well upside down trying to see if there was any damage to the cables while they was coming g the the rubber grommet  nothing  again checked all wires from the grommet to the driver door sill an along the car  nothing .

So I am stumpet and have no idea how to fix this or even where to go next .

Would a blown bulb cause the fuse to blow .??? 

Plz any more helpful ideas plz  thanks .  

Remove the tail, front side lights and number plate light bulbs, are they all standard bulbs and not leds

do the indicators work ?

Are you using gold-plated fuses they are not that expensive

yes, bulbs sometimes do not blow clear, but don't usually give a dead short

• Like 2

Hi m8 . All bulbs have been removed and left without bulbs and still blows the fuse .

The indecators work so does the brake lights and reverse light . An fog light .

Iv been taken the bulbs out an changing them an turning on the lights to see if which one not working  but it's blown all fuses 

Just normals fuses m8 60p each . Ib blown 4 today lol 

So what's next as I'm losing hope here FAST lol 

Hi Iain,

Sounds like you've been busy! Though I don't see you mention having taken out the rear number plate bulbs! If you have got them out already and it's still blowing the fuse(s) have you got any screws driven into the bumpers or other bodywork as part of your parking sensor project? If you have take them all out and then check with a fresh fuse.

Something you've done is causing a short circuit, one of cables that are fed by that fuse is being earthed/grounded somewhere.

A little while ago another member had a professional body shop fit some body kit. When they got the car back it kept blowing the same fuse. Turned out the body shop had drilled through a body panel into for a self taping screw and into the wiring loom behind there causing a short circuit. Took him sometime to find it I recall. The bodyshop denied being responsible until he presented them with the evidence.

• Thanks 1

Hi yes I had taken the number plate bulbs out . 

When we fed the cable thro the bulkhead  there was a rubber grommet is was say 4 inch across the main cables fed thro the big middle hole while there was  (only describe as two long nipples ) I cut the end off one on the left and fed the 4 parking sensors thro that . 

When I drilled the back bumper I taken it off so there was no cables where I drilled (18inch off the floor it said on instructions)  I checked the number plate cables and there still covered in crap and they are too high for me to have drilled. 

The front bumper I just undone the top screws and pulled it back to see that there was no cables when I drilled  the other day I taken the front bumper off to check properly  and again too low for cables  as I don't have running lights . 

The rubber grommet under the dash is all on its own no cables near it when the plastic rodni used to push it thro . The cable I ran thro the car I have not tried to connect them as all they was just left in the boot till I could get them wired up properly.  

So i have not touched the original wire loom . 

So all bulbs are out the back lights number plate lights and side lights . Still pops the fuse when I turn the lights on 

I'm going to out all new bulbs in now and see if it makes a differences and not blow the fuse . 

Again plz keep helping as I'm no closer to sorting this . Cheers 

OK got you Iain,

Only other thing that I can think of is the rear brake and tail light. My partner has a Mk1 Aygo but I don't have it here now to check but I think like you mentioned its a dual filament bulb. It's been done before, but could one or both of the bulbs have been inserted the wrong way? Dual flimanet bulbs (brake and tail light) by rights should only go in one way!

If one or both are in the holder(s) the wrong way it's possible to cause an earth fault which will blow a fuse, contacts on the bulb won't line up with those in the bulb holder.

Its also worth checking the bulb holder for corrosion both on the inside where the bulbs fit and also on the back where the wiring loom rear light plug is, they can be difficult to get off the the back of the light unit. Corrosion on electrical contacts can creep and cause shorts. Also check that there are no bent pins or contacts as they can cause a short if they make contact.

• Thanks 1

Hi m8 yes I did check to see if there was an corrosion.  

BUT STOP PRESSA ... 

ITs alive its ALIVE  HA HA ITS ALIVE.  

I put in all new bulbs tail number plate an small headlight bulbs  out all the bits back then pulled out all the fuses around the dash/clock checked them put them back .

Then went under the bonnet and where we pushed the wires thro I pulled them back a touch then wiggled the main wire loom to see if it was damaged or see anything nothing so 

Then I thought  one more go as I found an original red fuse  and its went beep as the doors open and dash lit up 

Ha ha  Thank you guys I'm so dam chuffed ha ha  I think one the small bulbs must be the f%&@?£>÷;,broken one lol  so I'm off for a drive to have a full check . 

Thanks again to you all . 

If you blow a fuse   check you bulbs lol 

• Like 2

That's good to hear Iain!

Sounds like you had a Dr Frankenstien moment back there.😁 Just wondering now, when the fuse blew was that the first time you'd tried the lights on since getting the car?

By one of the small bulbs do you mean one of them capless types? The wire contacts on them can get bent easily and then touch if they aren't handled carefully put in right especially if they're old ones.

Glad you got it sorted anyway and it wasn't your handy work nor nothing major.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DerekHa said:

Dr frank 

Only a bit  lol 

No it was the 1st time since runing the cables that I turned the lights on.

The bulbs was the very small number plate bulbs which are the same as side lights . 

I put clean gloves on an wiped them with soft cloth before fitting them .

I'm not too sure what I actually did to fix the prob as I was all over the dam thing lol .it was odd mind as I thought  one more time I don't know what it was but somthing said try it  yet I'd been doing the same ruddy thing an blowing fuses . 

If it happnds again 5lts petrol an a match lol . 

So thanks for all your help . I appreciate it  it was good to ask and get help from you all cheers. 

Ps still need too sort the back brakes lol .going to enjoy the car for a day or two . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well we're all here to try and help each other Iain.

Oh yes your brakes! I thought you'd forgotten about them with all the electrical problems. Be good to hear how you get on with those brakes.👍

• Thanks 1

Never had one go dead short like that before if a bulb blows short it with usually blow clear the next time but this clearly didn't

It may have just been a loose bulb or even moisture, disturbing the bumper upset it

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, flash22 said:

Never had one go dead short like that before if a bulb blows short it with usually blow clear the next time but this clearly didn't

It may have just been a loose bulb or even moisture, disturbing the bumper upset it

Well now you mentioned it . The numberplate lights glass/plastic  are a bit loose so maybe it was that awell  but as I'm in sunny Wales (yea right lol) I'll check them an seal them up might just buy 2 new ones . 

Thanks for your help  an yea I still had the brakes to do but as iv not been driving  the car (don't want to drive when lights an fuse not working )  they was out to be back line for attention lol . 

Hi guys .............yes   yes you guessed it ..   its blowen fuse again .then after messing about an blowing 6 fuses   I got it to work then ... it blew another fuse .

BUT   I had the lights working all 6 bulbs .so I went thro them wiggling them till I got to the last one which is the passenger side  white connector block  when I pushed it in to wiggle it  it blow a fuse . All the others I wiggled the lights stayed on . 

So I need a new white connector

Help guys anyone have spare  and what do i call them if to need contact toyota dealers .. thanks . 

Hi again Iain,

You are in the wars with this aren't you! Sorry to hear you're still having related issues but at least you seem to have identified which bulb/connector is causing you problems.

If you need help identifying this connector you'd be best posting an image of it and where it's located on the vehicle. There will be someone here who can supply you with the part name or even number.

• Thanks 1

white connector ? Is that the one at the backlight ? Or white block in the footwell, check for corrosion and see if the pins are spread apart also known as pin fitment

let me see what pins the lighting uses, off the top of my head it should be a thick red Brown wire (HC1 pin 13)

Plug (left) and Socket (Right) face on view

kgb10HC1tail13.thumb.jpg.2a03c38f4aaed71dea1c240d9f4ca32d.jpg

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links