Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear door hinges.

Crickleymal

Hi. On my wife's 08 Aygo the right hand boot hinge pin keeps sliding out. It never comes right out but no matter what I do it seems to like being 1cm out of the hinge. I've tried loctite and super glue.IMG_20230721_152821_813.thumb.jpg.f1597f80280c5fc7bf378ef2d965f96c.jpg

From that picture the hinge is not square with the mount. This offset might translate to a twisting torque on the pin until it comes put as you show.

I think the answer might be to realign the hinge parts.

I have seen this happen with worn door hinges.

• Like 2

Hmm, has it been removed at some point?

I might be thinking of a different car, but I swear the pin has a smooth side and a hatched side, and the smooth side is supposed to go in first so the hatched side grips in the end to stop it coming out...

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Hmm, has it been removed at some point?

I might be thinking of a different car, but I swear the pin has a smooth side and a hatched side, and the smooth side is supposed to go in first so the hatched side grips in the end to stop it coming out...

No idea I'm afraid. We've owned the car nearly 4 years and not done anything to the tailgate apart from tapping the pin back in.

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

From that picture the hinge is not square with the mount. This offset might translate to a twisting torque on the pin until it comes put as you show.

I think the answer might be to realign the hinge parts.

I have seen this happen with worn door hinges.

How do I do that? I can't see any way of driving the left hand pin out to remove the tailgate. Or is there a way of getting to the bolts that secure the hinge?

Malcolm, no idea, just suggesting the possibility of the cause.

The usual way to secure a pin like that is to get the pin flush, then with a punch, stake the edge of the pin

eg. Yellow do is the punch mark

pinstake.png.75fc53cd40d416ec14dbca3a8353ad09.png

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links