Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No vehicle service pick up service :(

MetManMark

We have been on a Toyota Service plan for the last 6 years (2*3 year plans). One of the reasons for signing up for this is that they include a pick up / drop off service. This has worked really well given that both my wife and I work and the Toyota garage (Snows Toyota in Exeter) is in the middle of an industrial estate that is a pain to get to. 

I have just booked our car in for its annual service and have been told that this service is no longer offered. I am a bit frustrated as the contract that we signed (ie me and the Toyota dealership) included the pick up / drop off service. We both signed the contract. So it feels to me that the dealership is in breach of contract.

The chap who took my booking just apologised and said that the decision was made "high up" in Toyota in Feb and that there was nothing that he could do. 

Thoughts?

Mark

Mark, a contract cuts both ways.  That is a clear breach.  'High up in Toyota' is a cop out.  Insist on a name and number and cite breach of contract.

I had 3 contracts with a company (insurance but that's not the point).  All contracts were at the same time but only one specified a redemption fee of £15.  Every year they sent me a message telling me the redemption fee was increased.

When the redemption was due they tried to impose £100+ fees on all contracts.  I pointed out that as only one contract mentioned redemption fees the other two had none.  They 'waived' the fee on an ex gratia basis.

They struck on the third until I pointed out we had both signed the original contract but I had never accepted any variation from the original fee.  They then 'waived' the fee on an ex gratia basis as they had no system for charge £15 😄

Insist on your rights.

• Like 3

Would have thought the provision of a pick up/drop off service is down to the dealer/dealer group to decide, not Toyota UK.

If the plan specifically covers this element, take it up with the dealer's management.

Can they not provide a courtesy car as an alternative?

• Like 4

Except:

my wife and I work and the Toyota garage (Snows Toyota in Exeter) is in the middle of an industrial estate that is a pain to get to. 

Which are both valid reasons for the collect and drop off options  The only acceptable variation might be where and when the car is picked up.  It might be more convenient for both parties to pick up at either place or work.  Pick up is the key.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Mark, a contract cuts both ways.  That is a clear breach.  'High up in Toyota' is a cop out.  Insist on a name and number and cite breach of contract.

I had 3 contracts with a company (insurance but that's not the point).  All contracts were at the same time but only one specified a redemption fee of £15.  Every year they sent me a message telling me the redemption fee was increased.

When the redemption was due they tried to impose £100+ fees on all contracts.  I pointed out that as only one contract mentioned redemption fees the other two had none.  They 'waived' the fee on an ex gratia basis.

They struck on the third until I pointed out we had both signed the original contract but I had never accepted any variation from the original fee.  They then 'waived' the fee on an ex gratia basis as they had no system for charge £15 😄

Insist on your rights.

Roy, is the contract with the dealer or Toyota, also they could make an excuse that due to staff shortages etc they have no one available.

You may well be right that it is a breach of contract but would it be to much grief to take it further.

I would ask for some goodwill gesture for the inconvenience and perhaps a reduction on the service cost or a rebate on the policy. 

6 hours ago, Bper said:

Mark, is the contract with the dealer or Toyota, also they could make an excuse that due to staff shortages etc they have no one available.

You may well be right that it is a breach of contract but would it be to much grief to take it further.

I would ask for some goodwill gesture for the inconvenience and perhaps a reduction on the service cost or a rebate on the policy. 

An excuse should be plausible and not a vague higher up.  It really is a dealer-customer or possibly  Toyota-dealer.

At the moment you have all the grief.  They can't just shrug it off.  You have already paid for the service and any rebate (hard cash) would be minimal. 

If you would accept a goodwill gesture one might be as Frosty says is a loan car.

The key to best compensation is something that has a positive cash benefit to you at minimal cost to them.

£20 from them to you is a hard cost. 

A benefit to you worth £30 might only cost them £15.  Win-win.

PS, you might know my niece  KW.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

An excuse should be plausible and not a vague higher up.  It really is a dealer-customer or possibly  Toyota-dealer.

At the moment you have all the grief.  They can't just shrug it off.  You have already paid for the service and any rebate (hard cash) would be minimal. 

If you would accept a goodwill gesture one might be as Frosty says is a loan car.

The key to best compensation is something that has a positive cash benefit to you at minimal cost to them.

£20 from them to you is a hard cost. 

A benefit to you worth £30 might only cost them £15.  Win-win.

PS, you might know my niece  KW.

Hi Roy, my post was in reply to you and not Mark, however I agree with your comments but if it was you would you go to court over this for breach of contract or would you push for compansation in order to resolve this.

Also what does the terms and conditions say on the agreement is there exclusions to pick up and drop off or something along the lines of exceptional circumstances etc.?👍

• Like 1

Bob, I changed the name as it is not my contract.  I would have done as I suggested, go for a win-win solution.  In this case it is a relatively insignificant breach but one that could cost the dealer ££££ in a lost client.

In a case I had I was offered £500 cash or £750 of benefit.  That extra £250 was actually worth £416 of my income yet cost the other party a total of £500.

Thanks all. I sent them a polite but pointed email. I'll keep you posted regarding their response. Unfortunately the same franchise operates the closest two dealerships so I'd have to venture up to Taunton should I want a change...

Looking again at the Service Plan, the pick up / drop off service was all that I used (other than the free MoTs).

M

Just to let people know that I phoned up again. It appears as though the original person that I spoke with got it wrong. The garage will honour existing contracts and will fulfil their collect / drop off service that they offered. But they don't include this on any new ServicePlans that they offer.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links