Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

DC - DC inverter recall PHEV ‘21 to ‘22

ernieb

Toyota RAV4 (2019 – 2022)

Published on 24. 07. 2023

Problem description:

The DC-DC converter may be faulty, which can cause the current from the 12V Battery to continue to flow, generating heat and increasing the risk of a vehicle fire.

The Toyota RAV4 vehicles affected by this recall were manufactured between 26 November 2019 and 26 May 2022.

Toyota recall code: 23SD-075
Affected models: Passenger car, equipped with plug-in hybrid engine. Model code: NX450h+: AAZH26; RAV4 PHEV: AXAP54; model year: 2021-2022.
Vehicle numbers (worldwide): 47,000

• Thanks 4

Hi all.....Well spotted !

Contacted my dealer who allayed fears to a point.

The required action is an interrogation & check to the DC-DC converter.

Toyota are highlighting a worse case scenario.

I'm due a major service in 4/6 weeks & propose to leave until then.

Pick up the the DCM fix as well, at 8k miles feel the risk negligible.

Barry Wright, Lancashire.      

• Like 1

@Broadway One
Interesting Barry, my dealer was very specific that it would need to be changed. I’ll see what happens after my visit tomorrow and report back.

• Thanks 1

Hi Ernie.....ta for that.

Overlooked to mention in my post

Nowhere could I locate the model code numbers referred to leaving just the model year 2021 - 2022.

Does this mean that the quoted model code refs. are the bad boys ?

Best tomorrow.......Barry.    

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Broadway One said:

Hi Ernie.....ta for that.

Overlooked to mention in my post

Nowhere could I locate the model code numbers referred to leaving just the model year 2021 - 2022.

Does this mean that the quoted model code refs. are the bad boys ?

Best tomorrow.......Barry.    

I took delivery May 21 so assume that my model is the code that is stated in the recall notice as it’s been flagged for recall.

• Thanks 1

I had my dc-dc inverter changed today all OK. I did ask if they would be testing the original one before changing and he said that they just change the old one for a new one as per the recall. The old gets sent to Toyota Japan for evaluation. It’s located under the back seat and took about 1.5 hours.

PXL_20230802_111320570.MP.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just had a look at the paperwork that the dealer supplied and the recall is YGG27_DCDC_Converter Replacement. UNER RECALL WARRANTY. (campaign Number: YGG27)

He also mentioned that they had 41 to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ernie for a comprehensive feedback post on an important issue.
Will reciprocate following my service in September.

Barry.     

• Like 1

This is for the rear axle only on awd phev correct? The main inverter is located on the front on top of the transmission. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

This is for the rear axle only on awd phev correct? The main inverter is located on the front on top of the transmission. 

No, I don't think so. The description is clear:

The DC-DC converter may be faulty, which can cause the current from the 12V Battery to continue to flow, generating heat and increasing the risk of a vehicle fire.

and implies that we are talking about the 12V system. It would make sense to position it at the rear since that is where both the traction and auxiliary batteries are ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I think there are a number of inverters this is the 375v to 12v inverter. Traction Battery to 12v Battery and the recall is specially for the RAV4 PHEV or the Lexus 450h+, years ‘21 to ‘22. It’s a reasonable size lump.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just for clarity here as there seems to be some mixing of terminology going on...

The recall says that it for the DC-DC converter. The inverter changes DC to AC and is a different thing.

• Like 3

You are right guys. 👍

Except the  phev the other Toyota hybrids use inverter/converter one unit on top of the transmission. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

Just for clarity here as there seems to be some mixing of terminology going on...

The recall says that it for the DC-DC converter. The inverter changes DC to AC and is a different thing.

It is a converter in this case.

• Like 2

Great spot Ernie. 

Here's the weird thing. I booked the car in for its 2nd annual service. I asked about doing any outstanding recalls and bulletins. They said there's a new DCM update as of 4 weeks ago but did not mention the DC DC one. 

Going to call them on Monday since if they think I'm coming in on multiple occasions for one thing at a time they're in for a surprise. I need to make sure Leroy is in because he's the only one that knows what he is doing on the PHEVs.😂

• Like 2

Talked to my local Toyota garage today by here in Sweden they dont have got the "go" word to recall, from Toyota yet.

Seems like Toyota hasnt secured the new parts yet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my case the new converter was delivered overnight, the service guy was confident that this would not be a problem. 
(UK)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Observation:

Since the car had the DCM update the 12v Battery voltage, as indicated on my digital voltage display in the accessory socket, has been much quicker to get to 12.4v. However, it seems to be even faster having now had the DC-DC Converter change. It gets back to the 12.4v almost immediately. It will be interesting to see how it performs when the weather changes.

Anyone else noticed a difference?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Observation:

Since the car had the DCM update the 12v battery voltage, as indicated on my digital voltage display in the accessory socket, has been much quicker to get to 12.4v. However, it seems to be even faster having now had the DC-DC Converter change. It gets back to the 12.4v almost immediately. It will be interesting to see how it performs when the weather changes.

Anyone else noticed a difference?

Yes, but ... the display in the accessory socket operates only when the car is 'on'. In Ready mode it will display the voltage 'set' by the DC-DC converter rather than the Battery. (I guess that you could measure Battery voltage in Accessory mode but rather doubt that is what you are doing.)

And you've had the DC-DC converter replaced so it will be conforming to the spec of the replacement (hopefully).

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

Yes, but ... the display in the accessory socket operates only when the car is 'on'. In Ready mode it will display the voltage 'set' by the DC-DC converter rather than the battery. (I guess that you could measure battery voltage in Accessory mode but rather doubt that is what you are doing.)

And you've had the DC-DC converter replaced so it will be conforming to the spec of the replacement (hopefully).

Interesting comment as always. I’m making a direct comparison between before and after the DCM and then converter changes. Originally the voltage would take many hours of driving to get to something like 12v. It would stay at 13.8v now it will start at something over 14v and then quickly lower until it settles at 12.4v. Whatever I may be measuring there is a significant change. As I said Philip it’s just an observation, like for like comparison, I’m just interested to see if anyone else who has a PHEV and had the changes has noticed something similar.

• Like 1

... and that all seems (possibly) consistent with the changes applied:

• The DCM change should have reduced the drain on the Battery when the car was 'off'. So it should have taken less time to recover once the car was switched back into Ready mode. That is consistent with your first observation.
  • It appears that the faulty DC-DC converters may have been leaking current internally (I hesitate to say short-circuiting). This would reduce the voltage seen, and  current available, externally (i.e. to the car). This is consistent with your second observation
  • Like 2

I just saw a posting on Facebook mentioning that their UK car was subject to a recall and talked about the CANBUS theft problem (accessing the security via the wheel are and stealing the car).  

I've put my 2022 Plug-in Hybrid index in the Toyota checker and it says it's subject to a voluntary recall but not for the CANBUS issue but DC-DC Converter.

Rang my Toyota dealer who was unaware of the Can Bus theft issue and checked and said it was a DC-DC Converter replacement which may cause overheating in certain circumstances, dealer didn't seem too bothered.

UK Toyota vehicle checker website: https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker

U.S. Website below:

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/07/toyota-rav4-prime-and-lexus-nx450h-have-a-dc-dc-converter-that-could-catch-fire/

Maybe more prevalent in the U.S but worth checking and getting it booked in if needed.

We have done quite a few, get it booked in to be done

My dealer was very keen that I should get it done PDQ. In the very worse situation, unlikely, it could cause a fire.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links