Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

DC - DC inverter recall PHEV ‘21 to ‘22

ernieb

My dealer has said they would like my car in for 2 days to get this recall done! 

Mine was done in just over a couple of hours including a wash, really don't know why they need 2 days.  The converter is under the back seat so access is not a real issue.  It took them much longer a week later to change the hinge mechanism on the charger flap as they had to go in through the boot side wall.

Similar topics merged

On 8/1/2023 at 12:57 PM, Broadway One said:

Hi all.....Well spotted !

Contacted my dealer who allayed fears to a point.

The required action is an interrogation & check to the DC-DC converter.

Toyota are highlighting a worse case scenario.

I'm due a major service in 4/6 weeks & propose to leave until then.

Pick up the the DCM fix as well, at 8k miles feel the risk negligible.

Barry Wright, Lancashire.      

The recall letter says they will change the unit and it will be sent back to be checked. 

On 8/31/2023 at 4:18 PM, JDK-SL7 said:

My dealer has said they would like my car in for 2 days to get this recall done! 

Mine said 2 hours. 

Although my car has been updated with the new converter I got my official recall notice today. Campaign: YGG27

At the end of the letter is a warning that until the converter is changed “it is very important that you do not plug your vehicle in to charge the high voltage Battery when the temperature is below 5 degrees Celsius”

Guess we are still someway of that temperature in the UK but more information for those who are awaiting the recall.

• Haha 1

Didn't read that 5C note Ernie, maybe good to know as mine is booked in for 30 Oct, by which time below 5C is highly likely overnight.

• Like 1

Apparently Toyota are also fixing the Can bus car theft issue but charging the customer £70 

Got my RAV4 PHEV 2020 fixed today. 

Left the car at 07.00 am and got it 11.20 am.

Then they made an mid sise original service to

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 3:02 PM, Broadway One said:

Thanks Ernie for a comprehensive feedback post on an important issue.
Will reciprocate following my service in September.

Barry.     

Hi again......all done & dusted yesterday.

Both recalls dealt with at the major service, 2 years in (8k miles).

(1) DC-DC Convertor replaced.

(2) DCM Software mod. carried out.

Dealership deep in major showroom/office refurb.

Crazy busy, portacabin temp. reception not conducive to post work conversations & feedback.

I took delivery Sept. 2021 (1) & (2) above supported by Toyota recall paperwork.

Barry Wright, Lancashire.

• Thanks 1

Got mine done last week, DCM software upgrade and DC_DC converter recalls along with a 20k service, car one year old. 

On 8/31/2023 at 4:18 PM, JDK-SL7 said:

They have since called me back (happening tomorrow) and said the technical team has advised them 4 hours. 

i suppose the office staff were being conservative when booking it in, all is well!

I'm sure these recalls, paid for by Toyota, will have been carefully costed and the service time established well before the recall notices are published.

On 9/4/2023 at 6:52 PM, George22 said:

Apparently Toyota are also fixing the Can bus car theft issue but charging the customer £70 

Can I ask where you heard/read this, as if correct, I'd say would be worth it if vulnerability was truly fixed, even if it smarts to be charged for a design flaw. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mike2222 said:

Can I ask where you heard/read this, as if correct, I'd say would be worth it if vulnerability was truly fixed, even if it smarts to be charged for a design flaw. 

Mike

Worth noting that the last canbus attack video shown on the "2022 RAV4 Stolen" thread showed the thieves accessing the canbus via the front bumper and not the wheel arch.

9 hours ago, Mike2222 said:

London dealers are offering Steel Wheel Arch Protection Upgrade for £101 inc vat. 

I’m booked in next week, 3-4 hours they reckon. 

I expect it to I’ll be rolled out further afield soon enough… 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 11:05 AM, Mike2222 said:

Hi. Sorry for delay, been away. A colleague emailed a Toyota Dealer in Purley, Croydon Surrey and the email reply as follows (also, this maybe the part although not confirmed by anyone) 

IMG_7277.png

IMG_7210.jpeg

Edited by George22
Add piccy
  • Like 1

Looks interesting and from the image seems to enclose the connector completely.

I’d probably get it done as the cost looks to be responsible but do feel it should be a no cost modification carried out during a service?

I had the letter about the module but nothing else? Rav4 PHEV 71 plate.. service was carried about and what I assumed only to be this . Car was ready at 12.45 from going in at 7.15 being told I would be first done.. wondering if I had that done too !

I had my car booked in last week to get the DC-DC converter and charging flap replaced. 
They did a good job on the charging flap which is much better but I was told that Toyota hadn’t released the parts for the DC converter recall. It was really helpful to show them the posts from this forum. Apparently the parts should be issued during the next few weeks.

I’m really looking forward to seeing the look on their faces when I ask them about the canbus fix!

• Like 1

When I login to the checker tonight it reads " We have identified that your Toyota is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall."

It doesn't say what though....

Did anyone receive a letter in post?

I did but only for module... 

Is there any way to see what updates the dealer has done somewhere online ?

Screenshot_20230913_233445_Chrome.jpg

I spoke to toyota this morning re this gave them my registration and they said the only recall I have is the DCM on their system.

Read out the info and they said my 71 plate was indeed built in Japan on these dates however its not down as needing replaced.

So no idea really 😆

1 hour ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

I spoke to toyota this morning re this gave them my registration and they said the only recall I have is the DCM on their system.

Read out the info and they said my 71 plate was indeed built in Japan on these dates however its not down as needing replaced.

So no idea really 😆

The DC-DC converter issue applies to the PHEVs only - HEVs don't appear to be affected.

PHEVs and HEVs are built in different factories. Guessing wildly, I would suspect that the PHEV factory got a batch of duff or doubtful DC-DC converters - hence the recalls. It may even be the case that HEVs and PHEVs get different DC-DC converter models due to the different traction Battery architectures but that would be taking even wild guessing rather too far! 😉

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

The DC-DC converter issue applies to the PHEVs only - HEVs don't appear to be affected.

PHEVs and HEVs are built in different factories. Guessing wildly, I would suspect that the PHEV factory got a batch of duff or doubtful DC-DC converters - hence the recalls. It may even be the case that HEVs and PHEVs get different DC-DC converter models due to the different traction battery architectures but that would be taking even wild guessing rather too far! 😉

Thank you yeah mine is not plug in, Japan build.  All good I will step down my pursuit haha 

• 1 month later...

Interestingly, I received (here in Germany) a recall notice from Toyota about the DC/DC converter for my 2021 RAV4 PHEV a few days ago. That is a couple of months after most of you guys in the UK! I remember reading somewhere that North America started this recall a long time ago. My dealer here told me that the part has to be ordered and expected delivery is late November! They didn't mention checking the old unit before replacement. The problem seems to be rare (i.e. not immediately a cause for concern), but if the car goes up in smoke in the next month I'll post an update.... 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links