Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo X Noise.

Anthony Psaros

I find my new Aygo X  automatic noisy when pulling away from start. Could it be because I have the rear seats down to accommodate my golf trolley & clubs? No other complaints though.

• Sad 2

Hi Anthony,

I'm going to start with the fact that Aygo is the cheapest Toyota you can buy and the materials used for sound dampening are not the best or sometimes lacking. The fact you take the back seats down affects a little bit but not more then 1-2 decibels.

That doesn't mean that the car is not great the 1.0vvti is legendary and bulletproof and the CVT is the same, for most doing city driving it would be great car to have.

I test drove the new Aygo (my wife wanted one) and it was as expected a little city car noisy at higher speeds. The automatic is a CVT so it is noisy when pulling away as it revs quite high (5000-5500 rpm). Also i use to have the old Aygo as a company car a log time ago ant they were super reliable little city cars, but again noisy. 

What car? review:

"Alternatively, Toyota gives you the option of a CVT automatic gearbox, which drops the 0-62mph time by 0.1sec. While it will give your left leg a break, the limited grunt of the Aygo X means the engine revs rise for prolonged periods of time as the auto 'box struggles to manage what little power there is."

I also have a Yaris 2021 Hybrid that I find quite noisy compered to other cars.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

Hi,

I think you should check the sound in normal conditions, with the back seats up in position. I have driven different cars with the back seats removed and noticed that the sound is much different, as though the space in the back formed a sound box and made the exhaust louder. It sounds as driving with a window left open.

• Like 3

Mine is loud when going up hills and gathering momentum on motorway slip roads. She settles down though.

• Like 2

In any car with rear seats folded down the road noise increases a lot.  
The reason is acoustic noise barrier principle, the seats backrests acting like a noise barrier and reflect the noise from the rear tyres back into the boot area, when folded down the noise goes everywhere in the cabin.
The reason why these cars together with all hatchbacks and estates especially those with flimsy parcels shelf covers are noisier than a standard saloon car. Lift up your seats and the noise will reduce. Fill up your boot with soft bags like cloths or rugs and your car will because even quieter. 😉

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links