Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre suggestions and recommendations '20 Aygo

ColinJ451

My 20 plate stock Aygo has just done 30,000 and with tyre rotation the tyres are getting to about where I need to consider changing all 4. The current tyres are Conti Eco Contact 5 that came as stock, as I do a lot of motorway driving the psi is normally about 36-38 and getting an average of around 60mpg which is decent. Their current price is about £120 each or £480 in total for the standard 165/60/15 size.

Yokohama Blu Earth are the cheaper option, but does anyone have any experiences with stock aftermarket tyres?

Ta

Cheaper mid range tyres are suppose to be not as good at stopping in the wet (Distance to stop) but found the likes of Landsail excellent but have ever had to slam on in the wet yet? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eddie G said:

Cheaper mid range tyres are suppose to be not as good at stopping in the wet (Distance to stop) but found the likes of Landsail excellent but have ever had to slam on in the wet yet? 

You're absolutely right - the biggest difference for cheap chinese tyres is the wet performance; In the dry they are near enough to better tyres as makes no difference, but they can get very scary in the wet or cold! :eek: 

Michelin and Continental tend to be up there with the most expensive tyres; Brands I've used that are cheaper but still very good are Goodyear, Dunlop and Hankook. Uniroyal tyres also tend to be on the cheaper side but have some of the best wet grip vs cost of any tyre.

If you don't mind some trawling, the tyrereviews.com website and youtube channel have a lot of reviews, both professional and user, of lots of tyres and can help with finding a tyre. I tried the Goodyear Efficient Grip 2 and Hankook Ventus Prime3 based on reviews there and they didn't disappoint!

The cost of tyres has had a significant bump tho' - The ones for mine have gone up by £20 a corner since I last bought them. It makes me laugh and cry a bit when I think the tyres for my Mk1 Yaris cost £35 each when I was relatively new to this forum, and that was for Continentals!! :eek: 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

You're absolutely right - the biggest difference for cheap chinese tyres is the wet performance; In the dry they are near enough to better tyres as makes no difference, but they can get very scary in the wet or cold! :eek: 

Michelin and Continental tend to be up there with the most expensive tyres; Brands I've used that are cheaper but still very good are Goodyear, Dunlop and Hankook. Uniroyal tyres also tend to be on the cheaper side but have some of the best wet grip vs cost of any tyre.

If you don't mind some trawling, the tyrereviews.com website and youtube channel have a lot of reviews, both professional and user, of lots of tyres and can help with finding a tyre. I tried the Goodyear Efficient Grip 2 and Hankook Ventus Prime3 based on reviews there and they didn't disappoint!

The cost of tyres has had a significant bump tho' - The ones for mine have gone up by £20 a corner since I last bought them. It makes me laugh and cry a bit when I think the tyres for my Mk1 Yaris cost £35 each when I was relatively new to this forum, and that was for Continentals!! :eek: 

Real test will be in the winter and snow but i tend to do short trips on 30mph roads and drive as fast as Ernie The Milkman most of the time 😂

• Haha 2

Suppose you also have to consider who owns which brand, as there may be some commonality in terms of design, etc.

Eg: Continental own Uniroyal in Europe, and Semperit; Goodyear own Dunlop (in Europe), Fulda, Kelly, Debica and Pneumant; Bridgestone own Firestone and Daytona; Michelin own BF Goodrich, Kleber, Riken, Tigar, Stomil, Taurus, etc; Pirelli own Courier; Sumitomo own Falken; etc, etc.

• Like 3

As regards reviews, I have an issue with many customer reviews of new tyres, as most new tyres will usually appear to offer better roadholding, grip, etc, precisely because the comparison is between new tyres and older worn tyres, which may well be at the end of their lives. Hence most of customer reviews are subjective.

• Like 6

I’ve never strayed from Continental tyres 

doesn’t matter what car you got , those 4 tyres are the things that matter the  most , they are everything in terms of safety on the road , 

buy the best you can get , I’d never consider a budget tyre , winter is coming and you need a decent tyre 

• Like 3

Actually now is a good time for tyres. There are discounts all around because it’s not a tyre season but holiday one. Everyone is at  the airports and garages are empty. Book your tyres and save yourself some £££. All major retailers does offers. 👌

• Like 3

Thanks for the input. Ignoring Speedo issues as the difference is not enough to result in my Speedo underreporting my speed would 165/65 15s fit on the front? A little close to the bottom of the spring but if they would fit without rubbing (0.6" or 1.5cm in diameter) then quite a bit cheaper and more choice of tyres in that size. Can speak to insurer but can't really figure why taller tyres would be an issue tbh

No reason for 65 sidewall not to fit. If 175/60/15 is at a better price and Speedo is ok then consider that. 

120 a corner on such a small size is on the expensive side. Other brands suggested are also an option. When my current tyres are done on the Yaris, will go 205/55/16 on the Goodyear EGP2 for 30 a corner less than current profile, approx 300 a set. 

Not a Google idea to deviate from original size tyres on the origin size wheels. Savings are minimal, the car behaviour may change with surprising results. The Speedo readings are the least you can worry about. The car handling, stopping and acceleration will change, you may not find that until  you get yourself into a pin emergency situation where 90cm might be the difference better accident happen or not, add the fact that the insurance will check these things first if they need to pay someone something especially if we are talking a big money for casualties and you are putting yours into trouble just to save 50-100£ . 
And lastly if you decide to sell the car privately or trade in any professional body or potential buyer who knows little cars will see that and either refuse to buy or lower the price as non original equipment been fitted. I had customer walked away because on my hybrid the hybrid emblems were removed, we put back these and sold it without question. 👌

Disagree with Tony, done it on a few cars, resulting in better grip/handling and braking performance. 

Inform insurance, most don't charge extra if the profile is specified in the handbook as alternative. Even if they make a charge, the saving difference may still be better. 

• Like 1

If you're not going to switch to winter tyres in the winter, then all-season tyres make a lot of sense for all year round use.

In cold weather, summer tyres can take over twice as long to stop compared to all-season tyres.

The below two tyres, as well as doing well in tyre reviews (such as tyrereviews.co.uk) aren't expensive on websites such as camskill.

Hankook Kinergy 4S 2 H750 165/60R15 77H (3PMSF symbol)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m138b0s9012p187668/Hankook_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Hankook_Kinergy_4S_2_H750_165_60_R15_77H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_D_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_71dB

Vredestein Quatrac 6 165/60R15 77H (3PMSF symbol)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m138b0s9012p202135/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_165_60_R15_77H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_D_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_70dB

• Like 1

You are based in Yorkshire, it's probably a good idea to get all season tyres. 

• Like 3

yeah I had all season tyres before changing to my current Aygo. Unfortunately they're not making all season tyres for new Aygo wheel sizes, so without chopping and changing to winter tyres, I'm just going to stay with summer tyres. Fortunately if snow and ice occurs (which hasn't been too often) I can choose to work from home.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

...they're not making all season tyres for new Aygo wheel sizes...

Continental and Goodyear all season tyres are available in size 175/65R17.

She's got the 18" wheels.

In case of bad weather, I leave the car home. If buses don't go out,  I'm staying home too.

• Like 3

yeah that's correct they're 18 inch wheels. Not worth the hassle to switch winter tyres as we usually only get three of four days worth of snow.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links