Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo new clutch

VROOMScot

Hello,

I have fitted a new clutch on a 2009 Aygo. When the wheels are off the ground the car goes into gear and the wheels move.

When the car is on the ground the car refuses to go into gear. If I put the car into gear when turned off, keep foot on clutch and start the car it stalls.

Any ideas?

Thanks 

• Like 1

Obviously the clutch is not clearing (not fully disengaging). Either its been fitted wrong or the cable is not fitted correctly or adjusted properly.

Usually the clutch centre plate hub is deeper on the gearbox side and, on many cars, if fitted the wrong way around might possibly foul the flywheel and prevent the clutch from working. Don't know if its possible to do this on an Aygo though (never tried!)......

• Like 3

I have made the mistake before of fitting the clutch plate round the wrong way so I highly doubt I would have done it again. It is just strange how it goes into gear when the wheels are off the ground

3 hours ago, VROOMScot said:

It is just strange how it goes into gear when the wheels are off the ground

Its because when the wheels are off the ground the gearbox can turn and therefore it will go into gear.  I bet if you press down on the footbrake the engine stalls.

Clutch is not clearing. If you are sure the cable and release arm are working correctly then the 'box needs to come off to find out what's going on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrfixer said:

Its because when the wheels are off the ground the gearbox can turn and therefore it will go into gear.  I bet if you press down on the footbrake the engine stalls.

Clutch is not clearing. If you are sure the cable and release arm are working correctly then the 'box needs to come off to find out what's going on.

Appreciate the reply. I will whip the box off tomorrow and take some pictures of my findings to send 

13 hours ago, Stecha said:

You have tried adjusting / tightening your clutch cable ?

Yes the cable was at its tightest point. I have taken it out anyway to see only takes an hour. These are the pics. The clutch is defo in the right way and the grease marks look nice and even all round. The centre part in gearbox also looks good unless I am missing something

E401CB54-2D51-419C-944E-EFBD030F1AAC.jpeg

A383B9AB-2548-4B6A-A143-C91214E9D29F.jpeg

34 minutes ago, VROOMScot said:

Yes the cable was at its tightest point.

That's suspicious. It should result in a clutch that doesn't engage fully and slips, i.e. the opposite to what you are experiencing. Especially on a brand new clutch.

I'd take it all apart. Measure and compare to the old pressure plate and disc. Double check everything. I seem to recall there are two different sizes of clutch for the 1KR-FE. As you say the grease marks seem to shown the bearing is engaging the fingers at the correct point. On that point, you've got a bit too much grease on there and it looks like it's started to move out towards the friction surface. Just wipe off the excess. You don't want any grease anywhere but a tiny bit on the splines.

2 hours ago, APS said:

That's suspicious. It should result in a clutch that doesn't engage fully and slips, i.e. the opposite to what you are experiencing. Especially on a brand new clutch.

I'd take it all apart. Measure and compare to the old pressure plate and disc. Double check everything. I seem to recall there are two different sizes of clutch for the 1KR-FE. As you say the grease marks seem to shown the bearing is engaging the fingers at the correct point. On that point, you've got a bit too much grease on there and it looks like it's started to move out towards the friction surface. Just wipe off the excess. You don't want any grease anywhere but a tiny bit on the splines.

They look quite similar. What I do notice though the pressure plate side of clutch sticks out 3mm more on the new clutch. The springs are also a lot bigger on the new clutch. Pics attached 

5F22C55C-36F6-4872-8E8E-912A6A579CC4.jpeg

6FF3B0E6-064A-482B-BEC4-A074C433678A.jpeg

D7670DA6-183E-4597-8D76-5DD38B34AC88.jpeg

As an aside remove that grease from the clutch plate, the input shaft only needs a light film on it

what make is the new clutch and what is the part number on the box in came in

It looks like it is the wrong clutch kit

your original is a Valeo TYC-22 - oem should be 31210-0H030

• Like 3

Hi Ryan,

Did you source a complete clutch kit (cover disc for your Aygo?

Are you sure your were supplied with the correct kit/parts for the car.

You mentioned Toyota fitting a bigger clutch in later vehicles, they first fitted a 180mm disc and then uprated it to 190mm to cure issues with the early Aygo's.

• Like 1

op has an oem 190mm (Valeo TYC-22)

edit. There are 2 types of release bearing on an 2009 can you compare with the old one

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

Yes I noticed that on his images printed on the old clutch cover plate Flash.

clutch bearings

31230-0h010

thumb?id=2896620&m=0&n=0&lng=en&ccf=9407

31230-52040

image.thumb.jpeg.f3c796412b4942862c92953a76d830d7.jpeg

That would explain the lack of any sort of clutch feel

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, flash22 said:

edit. There are 2 types of release bearing on an 2009 can you compare with the old one

Picture of 2 

011926D3-C307-41A4-AE60-1C3F69F4B09D.jpeg

did that old bearing have a carrier it does look like the second type

can you PM me your vin to confirm either way

36 minutes ago, flash22 said:

did that old bearing have a carrier it does look like the second type

can you PM me your vin to confirm either way

The bearings came the same as in picture. I can send the vin in morning when back in. Thanks again

Are we thinking it’s the wrong clutch or bearing?

Yes, maybe both, can you give me the part numbers of the clutch you purchased ?

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Yes, maybe both, can you give me the part numbers of the clutch you purchased ?

Does this picture of label help?

Only numbers on the parts are CS5 K222

Purchased from Euros so usually reliant on their system getting it right 

9A41D0FA-88D3-44B2-93B1-8FF410706C51.jpeg

I swapped the clutch this morning at Euros for this one which is more expensive and looks more like the original one in pressure plate and bearing. Will DM my vin number. Thanks 

975D812B-D629-4231-B4D9-B89DCF91A2BF.jpeg

• Like 2

That new clutch kit is a LuK - a good quality brand. Personally I would not fit a Transmech clutch - they are a low cost brand and when it comes to clutches I prefer Valeo, LuK, Sachs, Exedy etc.

I no longer use ECP - they are not particularly cheap and the quality of some of their 'off brand' stuff is very suspect (e.g. 'Starline' ?). 

BTW - if the car has the original cable then you might want to replace it. The cable action does deteriorate with age/use. 

10 minutes ago, mrfixer said:

That new clutch kit is a LuK - a good quality brand. Personally I would not fit a Transmech clutch - they are a low cost brand and when it comes to clutches I prefer Valeo, LuK, Sachs, Exedy etc.

I no longer use ECP - they are not particularly cheap and the quality of some of their 'off brand' stuff is very suspect (e.g. 'Starline' ?). 

BTW - if the car has the original cable then you might want to replace it. The cable action does deteriorate with age/use. 

Brand new cable was installed before the clutch as I initially thought it could be a stretched cable as pedal sprung. 

Hopefully get it installed later today and will post results 👍🏽

21 minutes ago, VROOMScot said:

I swapped the clutch this morning at Euros for this one which is more expensive and looks more like the original one in pressure plate and bearing. Will DM my vin number. Thanks 

975D812B-D629-4231-B4D9-B89DCF91A2BF.jpeg

Think you made the right decision there Ryan, that replacement looks a whole lot better quality wise. LUK have a very good reputation for parts. Hope replacing it now all goes well without any hitch's.

1 hour ago, DerekHa said:

Think you made the right decision there Ryan, that replacement looks a whole lot better quality wise. LUK have a very good reputation for parts. Hope replacing it now all goes well without any hitch's.

Another headache. The clip on the new bearing now seems to be hitting at the bottom. Pic attached. 

Also, may be being daft here but should the shaft which the bearing goes onto be able to move freely up and down?

CB0DBC89-7A92-400B-AF00-BE66039815B7.jpeg

9FACCD92-5C7E-42CD-A165-7245F6B9A187.jpeg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links