Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo new clutch

VROOMScot

Hi Ryan,

I'm no expert on clutch changes but I found a Youtube video on doing the whole job and it includes changing the thrust/release bearing with good images. Looks like the release bearing shaft does move up and down but take a look as it may be a good guide.

23 minutes ago, DerekHa said:

Hi Ryan,

I'm no expert on clutch changes but I found a Youtube video on doing the whole job and it includes changing the thrust/release bearing with good images. Looks like the release bearing shaft does move up and down but take a look as it may be a good guide.

Yeah mate been referring to this video over the weekend. I have put the old clip onto the bearing and it fits perfect. Will have update later tonight or tomorrow 

Do you mean the splined input shaft, it should have next to no movement, good Move on the LUK clutch you get what you pay for

Edit. i take it you mean the centre collar on the bearing if so yes it does move as it's self centring

https://aftermarket.schaeffler.com/medias/LuK-0098-en.PDF

https://aftermarket.schaeffler.com/medias/LuK-0073-en.PDF

33 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Do you mean the splined input shaft, it should have next to no movement,

I think he was refering to the release shaft and fork - which, yes, does float up and down.

Update folks: awaiting on a new driveshaft to take the car out a proper drive as damaged end on old one however, the car is now going into gear and moving back and forward so all is good with the new clutch. I think the moral of this one is don’t buy cheap. Spend the extra 20 quid and get decent parts 👍🏽 appreciate all the help

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi I have a clutch question .when I bought the aygo .there was a bit of a long clutch travle  so as its for teaching the kids to drive an 2and car about town than mpv .

We had a new clutch fitted by a garage just down the road  when I booked it in the guy asked me the reg an asked if I wanted a  yaris clutch fitted.   I just ??????  You mean the car or isn't a make of clutch  .he said the car as its a bigger clutch an it's better ??  As I don't know anything about clutches   I just said the aygo one for the year . 

So did I make the right choice or not  can you fit a bigger/better  clutch to the aygo ?????.  

If you think I need to start a thread plz let me know . Just reading about this I thought I ask . Cheers 

8 hours ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

Hi I have a clutch question .when I bought the aygo .there was a bit of a long clutch travle  so as its for teaching the kids to drive an 2and car about town than mpv .

We had a new clutch fitted by a garage just down the road  when I booked it in the guy asked me the reg an asked if I wanted a  yaris clutch fitted.   I just ??????  You mean the car or isn't a make of clutch  .he said the car as its a bigger clutch an it's better ??  As I don't know anything about clutches   I just said the aygo one for the year . 

So did I make the right choice or not  can you fit a bigger/better  clutch to the aygo ?????.  

If you think I need to start a thread plz let me know . Just reading about this I thought I ask . Cheers 

One of the others who are more technical will know if it’s the same clutch or not. I learned not to cheap out as it caused me a lot of problems. What I will say though is the Aygo has a very low biting point. It is very good for new drivers when parking etc using clutch control so if a low biting point was your concern it’s normal.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

When the 1.0 Aygo was first introduced (2005 ?) it was fitted with a 180mm diameter clutch plate. The Yaris with the same powertrain was fitted with a larger 190mm diameter clutch. The 180mm Aygo clutches were then found to have a rather short service life so the 190mm 'Yaris clutch' was subsequently specified for the Aygo. This was from around 2009 I think.

The 2014-on 'Mk II' cars have a 200mm clutch - this cannot be fitted to earlier cars.

Aygo clutches tend to live a hard life so stick to top tier brands such as LuK, Sachs, Exedy, Aisin, Valeo.. etc.  Beware some of the old brand names such as Borg & Beck (First Line), QH (Tetrosyl), who no longer make their own clutches but source parts from other low cost suppliers (often in India, China etc). Not saying they are necessarily poor quality, but if you are planning to keep the car then it pays to fit top quality parts.

Don't overlook that it may be beneficial to fit a new cable - they do deteriorate. And make sure the cable is correctly adjusted. You can alter the bite point (within reason) to suit your preference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They only supply the 190mm clutches, autodoc does show so no name junk in 180mm

Hi yes we plan to keep the car for long time lol . 

I don't know what name they used. He did say once we done 500 miles we was to go back and he would readjusted the cable . So we did . 

To be honest  when I drove the new clutch I did not feel any difference. 

The doctor I bought it off said he's had the car almost from new an he's not put a clutch in it . It had done 134000 he had it from 60000 so it done a few miles. Main reasone Why I changed it really. . 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links