Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cutting corners

Haliotis

A common practice by drivers, using much of the lane for oncoming vehicles.  Had one today - a taxi driver coming out of Tesco car park as I was driving in.  Took up centre of road as he was about to turn into road leading. Onto main road.  I had vehicles behind me, nd he was expecting me to reverse instead of himself backing up and positioning correctly.  My refusal to move caused him to mouth off, and I shouted that he should know better.  Isn’t it sad that drivers think that, by trying to protect their bad behaviour, the fault transfers to the innocent party.  Are these drivers afraid to use their steering wheel properly in case they break it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see this a lot both as a driver and pedestrian,this culture of the whole road belongs to me and never mind anyone else seems to have got worse.We have seen this happen in supermarket car parks with multiple entrances and exits that all filter out to one main access road.

the times drivers merge out of these exits in the middle of the entrance side preventing drivers from entering is all to frequent.

today we followed a driver out of a garden centre on to a main A road and whilst the exit road is large enough for left and right turn vehicles he was turning right and decided to block the left turn by staying in the middle. It took ages for him pull out and a queue of cars built up behind us. 

I Have seen many drivers shouting and swearing at the inconsiderate but they often look blank as if they do not care.🤬

Yeah, I see lots of drivers whose road positioning leaves much to be desired... I reckon 2 thirds of drivers would fail their test badly if they had to take it now, even if they were allowed double the number of faults... that'd be one way to lower the number of cars on the roads! :laugh: 

• Like 3

Is it a case of the entitled snowflake??

• Like 2

I think the phrase we are looking for here is "lack of lane discipline."

• Like 1

I took my driving test in 1953 - much more simple by today’s standards.  But I had a good instructor, and he was a strict disciplinarian.  I passed after 9 hours of tuition. Being jubilant after the test, he simply said something like, “ You have passed the test; now you have the rest of your life to improve your driving - your level of skill will stop improving when you stop bothering.”

Over the years, with stiffening up of the test, I expected to see younger drivers “showing me the ropes” and yet, daily I see much younger drivers behaving in a way that, were it me, I would be ashamed.  And a good deal of the problem impatience - “Why drive at 30mph when I can get there quicker at 35?”  And a great many treat the speed limit as a  target speed, not as a maximum in ideal conditions, and to lower the speed as conditions worsen.

Also, hybrid cars require good ‘thinking ahead’, and more diligence in the use of accelerator and brake, so many hybrid owners will probably never achieve the mpg benefits that their car can produce.

• Like 3

Albert, had exactly that.  I was in an E class estate, hardly short, turning left off a fast A road into the garden centre.

This large SUV was positioned so I could not enter properly though I was clear of the road.   She wanted me to reverse as I was stopping her turning right.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, I see lots of drivers whose road positioning leaves much to be desired... I reckon 2 thirds of drivers would fail their test badly if they had to take it now, even if they were allowed double the number of faults... that'd be one way to lower the number of cars on the roads! :laugh: 

Some seem to drive like they have been on the shandy these days but my favourite is always the Audi driver go as fast as possible, do not indicate and change lanes at will.

• Like 1

One thing that boils my p***..................When following somebody in an average sized (even small) car, and they turn left, for some reason behave like they have a 40 foot trailer on the back of the car and have to swing out into the oncoming lane in order to do the turn left, drive me bonkers, why is it? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eddie G said:

Some seem to drive like they have been on the shandy these days but my favourite is always the Audi driver go as fast as possible, do not indicate and change lanes at will.

I came out of a superstore a few days ago. In the C-HR, I drive at a steady pace, proportionate to the road conditions. There were speed bumps on the exit road towards the main road. I was driving at around 20mph (due to the speed bumps) with an Audi driver behind me. He tried a number of times to overtake, getting seriously close to my rear end. Unfortunately for him, I wasn't intimidated.

As we got to the roundabout, the lane split into two. He shot past, at Warp factor 6, and sped off. I continued at a sedate pace. and passed him a few minutes later. He was stuck behind a truck. I ended un in the same lane as the truck, but now in front of him. 

I had to ask myself, what was the point of his speed. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, glencrannog said:

I think the phrase we are looking for here is "lack of lane discipline."

That's almost what I said; Entitled snowflakes 😁

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Parts-King said:

One thing that boils my p***..................When following somebody in an average sized (even small) car, and they turn left, for some reason behave like they have a 40 foot trailer on the back of the car and have to swing out into the oncoming lane in order to do the turn left, drive me bonkers, why is it? 

Here’s another one to raise the BP.  You are in the inside lane, with two lanes going in your direction, and following traffic that is in both lanes. A short way ahead there is a turning to the right. Just ahead of you is a car in the outside lane - let’s call him “Wally”. In front of Wally is a car stopped and blocking most of the outside lane, waiting to make a right turn. But Wally wants to go straight ahead, and doesn’t intend to wait for that car to move.  So he makes a quick swerve into your lane (usually without signalling), forcing you to brake hard to avoid a collision.

Who, reading this, can honestly say, “That has never happened to me?”.  I think we’ve all met Wally!😡

• Like 1

I did post this incident before, but I think it's worth repeating.

There is a shopping/business parade near here with a single lane in and duel lane out, for left and right turn.

The junction is very tricky coming out,as it's within a few feet of the junction with the A46 with traffic lights.

So if you come out of the parade, it's wait in the left lane, then swiftly over to the right lane on the road, to turn right onto the A46,(for me to go home).

So there I am waiting in the left lane for the traffic to clear, keeping an eye on the lights changing, and this idiot in the right lane swings across my front to turn left towards the lights,no signal,no looking, nothing.

Very close call, I think it was one of those giant hausfraupanzers that Cyker seems so fond of.

Will get a pic soon to add,as difficult to describe.

• Like 1

The one that gets me the most is the 2 lanes approaching a roundabout. I am in the outside lane turning right with a flow in the inside lane going straight ahead. You can bet your bottom dollar "Wally" doesn't maintain his correct lane and cuts across you. I come now, to expect it just about every time.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links