Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EGR Valve Problem

naomidyer82

Hi I have a 2004 Rav 4 2.0 D4D. It has a EGR Valve problem.  The old EGR valve brought up P0400 code, fitted a new after market one and now have code P0403 coming up every 10 miles or even on start up.  

The wiring loom has all been tested and back probbed.  Earth and wiring to ECU and EGR all good. 

Any one got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Hi Naomi,

Have had plenty of diesels in the past but never owned nor worked on a Rav 4 but EGR on diesels valves are a pain in the backside and I'm glad I now run a petrol engine once again.

If your still getting codes after changing the valve it's either the ECU isn't happy with the new after market EGR valve itself or that the intake manifold is choked up with carbon deposits and needs a really good clean out, though I realise it's likely not a job for you.

I believe there are also other causes for the 0403 code which may relate to a vacuum leak also.

I have issues for the past few months after with this EGR valve and the same trouble code of P0400. I can't get rid of it and still can't. I got 2 posts but to no avail as I got no replies back, so I will try to tell you what I went through. After I got the EGR replaced I still got the P0400, then I had the injectors replaced but perhaps that should be the last concern. After that I ordered a vacuum boost solenoid (here's the part number - ((25819-27050)) compatible on my 2003 Avensis 1CD-FTV as I believe should be compatible for your RAV4 but better check it out yourself. Considering what P0403 means this is most likely the cause. Your solenoid should be in the top of the engine or the front (but look up yourself just in case as I might be wrong) and this is how it looks like. Good to clear the EGR cooler too, might be the reason its mainly located behind the engine and looks like a tube. Looks like radiator on the inside and most likely clogged with carbon deposits. The worst case scenario which I hope its not in my case is that the PCM is failing but this is highly unlikely and very rare. I still can't get this resolved but I hope yours will be far easier.

th-2270414250.jpg

s-l1600-512417635.jpg

Thank you both DerekHa and ImaSoupa that is helpful.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links