Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Garages unplugging Dashcam !!!

152bobby

I've just collected my daughter's Aygo to do some safety checks, check tyres, fill it with fuel etc 🤣 and found the Dashcam on the windscreen has been unplugged.  My daughter swears it was not her, so it must have been the local garage (not Toyota) when they checked her brakes for her.  I REALLY BLOODY hate when they do that.

So she's been driving for weeks with it unplugged (to be honest, if she just glanced at it, she would have noticed it was unplugged).

So this garage has lost my future business.  Another garage also did this when our business vehicle went in for a MOT.  I sort of would not mind if they plugged it back in and or told me !!!  

From now on, I'll unplug it and tell them if they touch it in anyway, I'll be complaining to head office and they'll not get my business in future !!!

Muppets 🤬🤬🤬🤬...my evening rant is over.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Why unplug the Dashcam when they are only looking at the brakes I can't see any reason for that? 

When I take mine in for a service 

They take out the mats and put them in the boot because toyota don't like them 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, Dave the aygo said:

Why unplug the dashcam when they are only looking at the brakes I can't see any reason for that? 

When I take mine in for a service 

They take out the mats and put them in the boot because toyota don't like them 

I can only assume, the mechanics do not like being visually and audibly recorded.  Just makes me think they have something to hide.  Either way, no more business from me.  You'd think, if they do this, they would at least plug it back in !

• Like 5

Don't want their trip to the chippy to be recorded....

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, mrfixer said:

Don't want their trip to the chippy to be recorded....

Or the way the car is driven if it is taken out for a test run after the work is done ...

• Like 6

Well, many years ago I had a Skoda Octavia, and took it to the dealer for a service.

After I picked it up I went to my parents to wash it (I refused service wash). I found a huge gouge and scratch on the tailgate, initially I thought I did it with the hose, but convinced it couldn’t be me.

So, I rang dealer, they immediately said they would repair it, I thought that was good of them but a bit suspicious, but didn’t admit it was them.

Now, I had a camera front and rear, but only worked with ignition on….which they must of left on for the time the car was in the workshop.

I downloaded the footage and found the technician rubbing the damage with his t shirt, then there was a collection of technicians all standing round it looking at it and looking up, then the service advisor I dealt with was standing looking at it, I recorded the sound as well where they agreed to NOT tell me!

I decided to act dumb, put the footage on an iPad, then when I took it back for the repair i decided to give one last chance to redeem themselves. So I asked I’d love to know how it happened to which the advisor on the video replied “I don’t think we will ever know Sir”.

At this point i properly lost it and proceeded to press play on my iPad and rip the advisor a new **** hole. Eventually my father (who came with me) had to intervene as I was going to get physical with the advisor because he refused to acknowledge the video.

Damage was caused by a ventilation pipe hitting the tailgate when it went up on the ramp. 

The car was repaired and I received my service money back, the advisor was forced to apologise to me which ended in another full on argument (must of really hurt him to apologise to me as you could feel the hatred😂), funnily enough I never went back to them again.

The same group of dealers all started unplugging dash cameras after that, now I just unplug it myself and tell them so they don’t mess around with it. 

• Like 4

I caught a mechanic taking my 911 out in excess of 100mph.  I told him it would go much faster 😂

• Haha 9

I caught my Dashcam being unplugged when it went in for some work at the Toyota Dealer. I did however manage to track an unauthorised visit to the local shows though the MyT app. 

This, along with some other incriminating footage (recorded prior to the Dashcam being unplugged) was all addressed with the Workshop Manager and we now have an understanding that my Dashcam does not get turned off, or obscured while work is done on my car.

In a separate incident, my Good Lady also had an issue with her previous car being damaged at a Mercedes dealership. She had a Smart ForTwo which went in to the Mercedes Dealer for the MOT. The tester can clearly be seen pulling on the bonnet release, and snapping the catch. He is adamant it wasn't him who broke it, despite dashcam footage which clearly shows him breaking it. I was told that I must have broken it and was trying to claim from them. They finally replaced the catch, which retails at £7.50 and is held in place with a single screw, as a "gesture of goodwill" and would not accept any responsibility. 

My daughter, who has a Smart ForFour now takes her car elsewhere, and the Good Lady bought a Yaris Excel rather than another Smart car. All in all, the Mercedes Dealer lost out on the profit of multiple services, and the sale of a new car for an amount of a £7.50 part

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

yeah my Dashcam was unplugged when I had her collected for a service and MOT. They didn't even plug it back in before driving her back.

• Like 3

Don't blame your MOT tester, blame the MOT system, you are not allowed to record the MOT/tester, hence why they get unplugged, however they should plug it back in again when the test is completed. 

Just now, Parts-King said:

Don't blame your MOT tester, blame the MOT system, you are not allowed to record the MOT/tester, hence why they get unplugged, however they should plug it back in again when the test is completed. 

Seems "unfair" as most places have a viewing window anyway !!  So next time I walk into a garage, I'm going to ask them to turn off all their CCTV cameras because I don't want to be recorded 🤣

14 hours ago, 152bobby said:

I can only assume, the mechanics do not like being visually and audibly recorded.  Just makes me think they have something to hide.  Either way, no more business from me.  You'd think, if they do this, they would at least plug it back in !

Good point for the first part. Would u like being recorded at work?

3 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Good point for the first part. Would u like being recorded at work?

Personally, I'm one of those people who have got nothing to hide and I'm a law abiding citizen, so it wouldn't bother me.  CCTV cameras and dashcams have brought many a criminal to justice !!

And the last two jobs I was in had CCTV cameras everywhere except the toilets.  

• Like 2

Dash cam can record audio too, wouldn't want my private conversation to be recorded on someone's car equipment. Nothing to hide, privacy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojo1010 said:

Dash cam can recorded audio too, wouldn't want my private conversation to be recorded on someone's car equipment. Nothing to hide, privacy. 

It is for that very reason. Imagine some unreasonable person not agreeing with an MOT tester/result plastering it all over the internet, Mr Uppety making a video and calling the tester all sorts, some things need to remain private despite people's protestations 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Dash cam can record audio too, wouldn't want my private conversation to be recorded on someone's car equipment. Nothing to hide, privacy. 

Most CCTV cameras also record audio.  The ones I have around my house do two way audio.....never used it though 🤣

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

Seems "unfair" as most places have a viewing window anyway !!  So next time I walk into a garage, I'm going to ask them to turn off all their CCTV cameras because I don't want to be recorded 🤣

As is your right to ask, but that isnt going to happen is it? The viewing area is a legitimate MOT spec, recording the MOT test is not. Take that up with the Government not the tester/garage 

This is my new laminated sign to be put on the passenger seat for any future garage visits.👌

16928693073053705084298599999284.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Big_D said:

I caught my dashcam being unplugged when it went in for some work at the Toyota Dealer. I did however manage to track an unauthorised visit to the local shows though the MyT app. 

If you take your car in for service, and a technician uses it for his personal use (as per above), then the law of taking without consent still applies.

Is there a serious grey area here?   Many garages state that cars are left at their owners’ risk, so the owner has handed over the car as far as their insurance is concerned.  Does that indemnify the garage against misuse?

When our daughter’s BMW X3 went in for a new windscreen, she later received a FPN for breaking the speed limit; the offence being committed whilst in the repairers’ care.   Fortunately, her car infotainment system, her mobile, and her home CCTV together gave enough proof that she and her car were separated from each other at the time of the offence, and still in the possession of the repairer. Every owner doesn’t have that amount of evidence available to them.

When I picked up my previous VW Caravelle after a service by the VW dealership, the inner armrests (which we never used) were down, and the front passenger seat raked well back - similar to a ‘feet on the fascia’ pose. I got nowhere with the service manager - his technicians don’t do things like that!   Now, I always note the indicated mileage and reset the trip to zero.

• Like 3

Under GDPR dashcams will be turned off.

The regs are that NO recording is to be made without the explicit permission of the person you are recording.

This goes for telephone calls as well

15 minutes ago, Sooty said:

The regs are that NO recording is to be made without the explicit permission of the person you are recording.

The GDPR rules were a absolute joke BEFORE covid and is shockingly worse now !!! Do you realise that when you call companies like British Gas, Sky, your Bank etc, it's people sitting in their house with the kids etc running round.  There was an article a while back about one of the major banks employees working from home with loads of customer confidential information under their bed !! I work from home, abide by GDPR because we run a business and we have CCTV and we are registered with the UK CCTV Registry and have a sign up stating that. To be honest, there are very few companies who REALLY abide by the GDPR rules, they may say they do, doesn't mean they do.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Now, I always note the indicated mileage and reset the trip to zero.

I take a photo of my mileage outside of the dealer, with their building visible through the windscreen.

1 hour ago, Sooty said:

I insist on my Dashcam being on when the car is in the workshop. I have discussed this with the workshop manager who is aware of my requirement, and this is always confirmed before my keys are handed over. My car is worked on by a technician who is aware of this requirement and therefore consents to this. Therefore no GDPR infringement.

• Like 2

GDPR - I am shortly to take my car in for servicing.  The Toyota and VW dealerships are adjacent to each other.  Whilst it is being serviced, I may have a look around the cars at both dealerships, so the following hypothetical situation came to mind:  Suppose I saw my car leave the premises (could be for a test drive) and, seeing it returning, I used my phone to take a picture of it, and the person driving.  Considering the car is in the care of the dealership, and I could still be standing on their premises, could my photography come under GDPR?

From what I understand, No. You would be taking a photo of your own car in a public place. I am open to correction here though. 

Unplugging Dashcam seems to be a widespread issue "GDPR" and all that.

My last service the dismounted the camera and I only found it in the cup holder.

Next time I wonder if they will find a 3rd camera?  I have an amazing Chinese cam, is has a 170 degree cover.  When mounted on the windscreen it could see the steering wheel and gear lever too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links