Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Little rant

2toyos

I'm looking for a 100 or 200 series land cruiser, I'm appalled by the amount of people(I wanted to use other terms) converting them to LPG, well done for ruining the car, if you can't afford it, sell it, don't ruining it. Morons

Why does it ruin it, usually these conversions allow the car to use either lpg or petrol?

Burns at a higher temperature, ruined piston rings, and it's instant not prolonged use

• Like 2

Well it was the in thing back then, and it did save on running costs since they didn't tax LPG anywhere near as heavily as diesel and petrol.

The fact that it's still taxed so low shows how little it took off in the end (If it had, you bet your donkey the tax would have risen to the same level as petrol and diesel!). I can't even think of the nearest gas pump near me as they've all shut down over the years!

I didn't think it was particularly bad for engines tho' - I have heard there can be valve seat issues in older cars, but I figure if the car can run on unleaded it probably has hardened valve seats already which should withstand LPG. Wasn't aware of piston ring issues tho'!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 2toyos said:

I'm looking for a 100 or 200 series land cruiser, I'm appalled by the amount of people(I wanted to use other terms) converting them to LPG, well done for ruining the car, if you can't afford it, sell it, don't ruining it. Morons

I think that’s a little harsh.  Once they have bought it, it’s up to the new owner if/how they wish to modify it.  From my own viewpoint, the most important factor when an “enthusiast” modifies a vehicle, is that they do not result in putting a dangerous vehicle on the roads.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Cyker said:

I didn't think it was particularly bad for engines tho' - I have heard there can be valve seat issues in older cars, 

LPG does a lot of damage to valve seats/valves, anything 2006> is not really suitable for LPG, manufactures specifically exclude LPG conversions from manufacturer warranty due to the ongoing problems, you are probably looking at 25% worse MPG too, I know the prices stack up, but not much else 

• Thanks 1

Wow, that's good to know! Good thing I didn't get my Mk4 LPG-converted! :laugh: 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Haliotis said:

I think that’s a little harsh.  Once they have bought it, it’s up to the new owner if/how they wish to modify it.  From my own viewpoint, the most important factor when an “enthusiast” modifies a vehicle, is that they do not result in putting a dangerous vehicle on the roads.

I don't think it's harsh from my view point, I totally accept people can do whatever they want, I wouldn't call them an enthusiast, an enthusiast would Improve, not destroy, I'm more of the enthusiast by highlighting the damage these CHEAP people are doing to a fantastic car that they cannot afford, and also by selling it on and making the next owner stuck with repair bills because of a gimmick add on that ruins the engine

I had an uncle in the mid 2000s had the older style Range Rover (P38) with this. I'd not go near any car with this level of modification to be fair.  Pretty sure Fiat sold some cars with dual fuel options including LPG... don't hear of that anymore now 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links