Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird, too long, activation code for Map update via USB

SimonJBlandford

Hi, I just purchased a 2 1/2 year old Corolla and it looks like the maps/software have never been updated since new. Having successfully registered the car via the Multimedia Device ID given on the display I downloaded the "Map Update Spring 2023 Toyota Touch 2 MM17/MM19" zip file, all 13GB of it and loaded the unpacked files on a USB stick. It verifies OK when I plug it into the car but then challenges me for the activation code.

The activation code I printed out from the "Purchased item" looks something like (but I've flipped all the digits for anonymity) M2CFKWEHH2LQSPXFW26HC2. However the car is asking me for an activation code that looks like XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX. Obviously 22 characters into 16 slots isn't going to fit.

Where/how can I get an activation code that is in the right format?

The activation screen also gives a "Device ID" and "Request Code" or a QR code to be somehow used to get an activation code but I can't find anywhere to enter this either on the MyToyota website or app.

The attached image shows the unexpected activate code format shown with the purchase.

image.thumb.png.2b32ebd82cd4935f554941b57dc89cdc.png

I've done some more research on this. I can't find anywhere on the Internet where a 22 character access code is mentioned for Toyota. There are only references to a 16-digit code.

So my current theory is that the https://www.toyota.co.uk/ website is broken.

I would be grateful if someone could verify this for me by logging in to their My Toyota portal e-store, checking their "Purchased Items" and report back if the access code shown is the expected XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX format or is 22 characters with no dashes in between as I have.

I will be trying to contact Toyota today. I've so far had no response from the website help form, although I only submitted the request yesterday evening.

• Like 1

The Toyota estore is so broken it's unbelievable. I can't even get it to load 90% of the time.

It won't load this morning. Yet typically the crap like the my rewards section works fine.

• Like 2

just looked at my purchases and all my update codes (3 off) are 22 characters long with no dashes. Whether these 22 characters have been altered/distorted lately I don't know.

My Totota/estore etc site is rubbish!....not user friendly at all.

Good luck.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Click, print activation code - Print to PDF

Same story. 22 char activation code.

I've contacted Toyota and they confirmed that they did receive the ticket I raised. Let's see what the next few days bring. It looks like this issue is affecting more than just me so I hope they give it some priority.

On my 2020 Corolla I updated for 3 years with the free map updates. It was always a 22 digit code. There was enough space on the head unit to enter the 22 digits so I don't know what has gone wrong here. The code looked like this  9TQ4LEJH32WH7QCN7R2HKG. So I would say the website is ok but something not right with the in car activation process. This is an odd one.

• Like 1

22 digits may be for the MM19 that is OTA,

have a look in the estore on the updates tab, it may require a DCU update

• Like 1

Talk to Toyota technical support.

I didn’t update the maps on my new car until it was almost 3 years old. It wouldn’t work and it was because the maps were too old. I spoke the Toyota and they took me through the procedure.

13 hours ago, flash22 said:22 digits may be for the MM19 that is OTA,

have a look in the estore on the updates tab, it may require a DCU update

I don’t see any Updates tab on the e-store, although this morning it isn’t showing any items even after a minute (it takes its time loading).

I was able to find a firmware upgrade page on Toyota.com, but not Toyota.uk. The .com website didn’t recognise the VIN and when I put the make and model in I could see that the firmware had US in it instead of EU.

My current DCU model ID is 17TDT2EU-DA31 and MEU is 17TMT2EU-FA10.

OK. This is going to be embarrassing: I tried again and just kept entering the digits and found that it did, in fact, scroll over and let me type them all in. Then the update process started as expected.

So, yes, 22 characters is the correct length now. I guess I was confused when I saw videos and documentation showing a 16 digit code with dashes and this one had no dashes.

The car is updating itself now but only when the engine is on, which I thought was a bit weird. I would have preferred it to update and shut down when I leave it at night or something.

• Like 1

The car has to be in 'ready' mode while updating to avoid killing the 12v Battery. Updates via USB take about 70 mins; not a problem if you have a garage, but I understand the system let's you complete the upload over a series of trips nowadays.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links