Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Who's car not ULEZ and who IS

dads Taxi x3

Hi all I'm not sure if this is been asked on here if it has plz let me know 

So who's car is ULEZ complient an who's getting ripped off  when it starts .

Iv got a aygo 2012 reg see the story about loads of cars from 80s 90s mint looking cars but going to cost a bomb to have on the roads of London. 

It soon spread across the UK these rip off charges . 

• Like 1

Our last five cars including the current ones, going back to 2012 have all been ULEZ compliant. Live outside London anyway, but we do have the Birmingham Clean Air Zone.

Moved to General Discussions.

• Like 4

Anything over 40 years old or 51/2001 onwards petrol or 2016 on diesel

Bristol and Birmingham is going ulez soon, I can see Cardiff forging the way in wales

it will kill the classics market just like scrappage scheme did it 2009, some 80s and 90s performance cars go for big money

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Birmingham is going ulez soon

Birmingham's Clean Air Zone (equivalent to a ULEZ) began on 1st June 2021.

• Like 2

Not been up that way since 2018 - I will need a new passport to get pass the Watford gap

• Haha 5

Me and my colleagues already got bitten by the first expansion so had to dump our diesels (That, gallingly, we got in the first place mainly because KHAAAAAN!'s party, i.e. Labour, encouraged us to do so in the first place!)

There is a lot of concern around here as there are a lot of car clubs with nearly-but-not-yet-vintage cars that have been here for decades who will now need to find new locations outside of London to meet and even store their vehicles...

• Like 2

Thankfully our aged petrols are ok, which is helpful cos although I moved from near Heathrow Airport decades ago, my grandparents are buried nearby so will be within the new ULEZ zone and before that they were threatened by the proposed 3rd runway, so much for RIP. But we shall see, I can see the goal posts moving again on vehicle ages etc for this charge depending how much money it initially rakes in or doesn't!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Me and my colleagues already got bitten by the first expansion so had to dump our diesels

Always shied away from diesels when buying our own cars - most of the Crown cars I had access to were diesels and hated them. 

• Like 4

Indeed; Before they started encouraging all of us to go diesel - Telling everyone they were much better for the environment, and more refined, better fuel economy etc., even entering all of us into a prize draw for them when we renewed our car tax! - nobody in my family would have even considered getting a diesel!

That's what makes it so galling that they're now blaming and penalizing *us* for the result, while refusing to acknowledge any responsibility for their part in encouraging it in the first place!

The environmental aspect is just divide and conquer tactics - The ones with compliant cars won't fight it so they won't have as much opposition, and once the system's in place they can raise the goal posts as they please, now that we know there is no oversight, and then it'll be too late.

• Like 4

I read that quite a few councils in the UK are going down the ULEZ scam as London was the 1st then once that is in place with all the camera's  there's talk of !!  pay per mile !!. 

No longer able to enjoy a drive to the shops .beach. family .friends  so wrong .

• Like 2

One thing the goverment  is exelent at is 'U' turns so its possable the ULES area or definition will move again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

I read that quite a few councils in the UK are going down the ULEZ scam

Birmingham, Bath, Bradford, Bristol, Glasgow, Portsmouth, Sheffield, and Tyneside (Newcastle and Gateshead) already have Clean Air Zones/ULEZs.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I know of two Landrovers the oldest is exemp for now and the yungest vehicle has to pay for going into Newcastle but tobe honist neither go to Newcastle Upon Tyne.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Derek.w said:

One thing the goverment  is exelent at is 'U' turns so its possable the ULES area or definition will move again.

It's the U bend I want these to go down .

As I'm sure paying TFL an that little creep £12.50 aday  I'm sure some polar bear on his wee iceberg appreciate it . While his fleet of 4x4 who don't pay it making the iceberg smaller lol.

As for clean air in London   London never had clean air you watch all the londoners will be dropping dead due to fresh air .its like the big signs you see on motorway slow down bad weather/rain   in Wales it's slow down sun shining  there not used to it . Lol 

• Haha 3

My current Avensis 1.8 Valvematic Tourer, '58 plate (2009) is compliant, but my previous Mk1 1.8 leanburn would not be. My brother is in the process of changing his 2007 Renault Grand Scenic which is diesel, and using their second car, a compliant Micra that is 3 years older.  

Another thing I notice, is that some vehicles that are older than the general information given by TfL (2005 petrol and 2015 diesel cars), will meet and be shown as compliant on the checker! So always check to be sure. 

• Like 2

Previous Aygo and current Aygo X is compliant, not that I live anywhere near London or its boroughs. I used to travel to Bradford for work but I now go to Leeds which for the moment isn't a clean air area unless I go into the city centre which I never do (office is on the outskirts near Kirkstall)

7 hours ago, Konrad C said:

My current Avensis 1.8 Valvematic Tourer, '58 plate (2009) is compliant, but my previous Mk1 1.8 leanburn would not be. My brother is in the process of changing his 2007 Renault Grand Scenic which is diesel, and using their second car, a compliant Micra that is 3 years older.  

Another thing I notice, is that some vehicles that are older than the general information given by TfL (2005 petrol and 2015 diesel cars), will meet and be shown as compliant on the checker! So always check to be sure. 

I was talking to someone today and apparently the magic number is 0.08g/km of NOx

It seems if you can get a Certificate of Conformity for your car or otherwise prove that it produces under 0.08g/km of NOx, even if it's pre-Euro4(Petrol)/Euro6(Diesel), you can submit it to TFL and after some wrangling you can get them to mark your vehicle as compliant.

Might be worth a go for some people, as any petrol car with a catalyst will likely have very low NOx.

• Like 3

On 8/29/2023 at 12:33 PM, Wiz201 said:

Previous Aygo and current Aygo X is compliant, not that I live anywhere near London or its boroughs. I used to travel to Bradford for work but I now go to Leeds which for the moment isn't a clean air area unless I go into the city centre which I never do (office is on the outskirts near Kirkstall)

Leeds is clean air as there still using horse an cart up there I believe   lol .

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

Leeds is clean air as there still using horse an cart up there I believe   lol .

So, do they have a DLHP charge instead 😁

DLHP = (Don't Leave Horse P00)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Both of our current cars are ULEZ compliant, as was my 2009 petrol Auris. Our recently sold 2012 Avensis diesel wasn't but it didn't seem to stop us getting a decent trade in price for it. 

All largely academic in my case though as I live in a backwater of Lincolnshire, where old cars come to die, and you're considered a bit flash if you drive anything newer than a 55 plate Focus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had an 09-plate VW Touran diesel that was Euro6, so would be OK in ULEZ.  What does puzzle me is how the various local authorities set up their cameras to detect compliant against non-compliant.  There must be a wave of cars that have similar registration years, but with different engine specifications. So, if an authority simply sets a cut off year, then vehicles with same year of registration could be either compliant or non-compliant.

My V5 showed my 09-plate Touran as being Euro6, but my 2017 VW 2-litre diesel Caravelle, although it was Euro6, had no indication of this on the V5.  If a vehicle with Euro6 on the V5 was charged, would an authority accept an owner’s argument that their vehicle was compliant?  How many authorities are willing to hand back cash, once it has been taken?

The ANPR detection element of the system verifies against the DVLA database which would hold the compliance status for your vehicles emissions  

The dates given in the general information were a guide for uneducated “joe public” as the years where the emission standards were most commonly adopted by the majority of vehicles. 
There will be many examples of younger vehicles who do not comply and older ones which do.

That is why the advice is “check your vehicles compliance on the website”

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Also the ULEZ limits apply to specific pollutant figures for NOx and particulates recorded against the vehicle's specification, rather than being 'Euro 6' as such, so older vehicles can comply based on NOx and PM even if they don't meet Euro 6 limits in other respects. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links