Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross TPMS.

Jasper.

My daughter has just taken delivery of her new Yaris Cross Excel and having lowered the pressures from the pdi'd 39psi , the TPMS shows a warning of a low ns rear tyre even though it's set at 35psi , I over inflated it slightly as the sun is beaming down on the nearside tyres.

Is it simply a case of driving the car so it accepts the new settings or does it need initialising  ?

As far as I remember, pressure the tyres to the pressure you want, turn on the car, press the TPMS button and wait for 3 flashes on the icon on the dashboard, and then go for a 5 - 10 minute drive to 'set' the system.

• Like 2

Thank you , is this for the Yaris Cross  ? It's just that we don't know where the TPMS button is  ?

48 minutes ago, Jasper. said:

It's just that we don't know where the TPMS button is  ?

Have you checked the owners manual?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Have you checked the owners manual?

We have now 😊

They hadn't though.

It's acessed via the steering wheel buttons not on the large central display even though on the Cross the tyre pressures are displayed on that screen unlike my mk4 Yaris. 

Thanks for the help 🙂 

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that when the Salesman was doing the handover of their new YC , on showing my daughter how to see the tyre pressures on the screen he said "all are 2.6 bar so that's good".........🙄

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jasper. said:

I forgot to mention that when the Salesman was doing the handover of their new YC , on showing my daughter how to see the tyre pressures on the screen he said "all are 2.6 bar so that's good".........🙄

I had the same overpressure.  I won't be caught again.  Why should I go through the process that they should have done at the PDI.

I could do it, but at 81 and with my knees,  why should I?  They can afford the coffee and biscuits while I wait. 

• Like 4

TBH that's not too bad - They at least dropped the pressure from the storage pressures! I and several others were given our cars with the tyres at over 60psi - That's over 4 bar!! :eek: 

Still, are those the high-load/eco pressures for the Yaris Cross or something? Seems a bit weird they'd go to the trouble of dropping the pressures from delivery, but still leave them above the recommended... :unsure:

• Like 3

It's not a PDI only issue, it happens also after service.  I too got the car with 2.8 bar on PDI. Then I set to the suggested 2.2 bar.  After both services I found them inflated at random values between 2.3  amd 2.7 ( a different value for each tyre ).  

• Sad 2

On 9/3/2023 at 10:13 PM, Cyker said:

TBH that's not too bad - They at least dropped the pressure from the storage pressures! I and several others were given our cars with the tyres at over 60psi - That's over 4 bar!! :eek: 

Still, are those the high-load/eco pressures for the Yaris Cross or something? Seems a bit weird they'd go to the trouble of dropping the pressures from delivery, but still leave them above the recommended... :unsure:

How often do they calibrate their equipment (and their staff).

I never trust garages OR tyre houses to get the pressures right!  Half the time they don't even know what the correct pressures are.

On the Cross, you need to go into the menu of the DASH (MID = Multi-Information Display) - Settings - Vehicle - TPMS - RESET.

You need to reset it BEFORE you drive it. It requires that you actually drive it in order to calibrate. Be sure you're going to be driving for 10 mins or so at 30+ MPH (the book officially states 40+ MPH for at least 30 minutes, but I find it is much quicker than this).

When I check the pressures, I do so before the first journey of the day (so the car has been sat overnight for at least 8 hours), then reset the TPMS as the last thing before I pull away.

The Cross does have an eco pressure, which is a couple of psi higher than the "not" eco pressure setting. As far as I'm aware, there is only one correct pressure that will not result in uneven wear across the tyre. If you opt for the "eco" pressure, I suggest keeping an eye on tyre wear and check that it is not wearing the center of the tyre faster than the outside. This will also impact braking and cornering.

I dropped the pressure on my GR Sport from the PDI pressure of 38 psi down to 32 psi front and 30 psi rear (book says 32/29, but I find it doesn't harm to run the rears at a slightly higher pressure).

For some reason, the front left TPMS says the front left tyre is 1 psi lower than the right, even though my pressure gauge read the same for both. My OCD is going slightly nuts. I'm going to check it again in the morning and see what is what. It's probably just a rounding error.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

How often do they calibrate their equipment (and their staff).

Calibrate equiipment ?   Should it need calbration? 😀

Yes, all our equipment is calibrated every 6 months, if the cheap digital gauges fail they are binned, more expensive equipment is repaired.

• Like 1

Mine where up to 42psi at one point today, according to the TPMS screen, after being in the sun all day and then hooned home along the motorway! :laugh: 

Normally they're at 37-38psi when stone cold (According to the manual they should be at 40psi for the 15"s, but I felt that was too high)

25 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Mine where up to 42psi at one point today, according to the TPMS screen, after being in the sun all day and then hooned home along the motorway! :laugh: 

Normally they're at 37-38psi when stone cold (According to the manual they should be at 40psi for the 15"s, but I felt that was too high)

38 raising to 42 is normal. 
under normal conditions a “cold” tyre pressure will rise by 4-5 psi as the car is driven and the tyre warms up.
In sunny weather those warming conditions are accelerated by the outside temperature. 

• Like 1

I know, I was just making a point that the pressures will have a fairly high variance as the car is used and the ambient temperature and sun intensity changes, and that is perfectly normal.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Very helpful thanks. I was delivered on approx 38psi all around so dropped to what the door says (32 front, 29 back). It's worth noting in the recent YC and maybe others you can either choose the pressure from a menu that has a couple of presets values in, or use current. I picked the menu items that matched the door but I'll probably bump the rear up a couple next time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links