Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox oil 2010 Aygo

junot

Hello everyone,

I own a 2010 Aygo petrol with a manual transmission, and it's time for a gearbox oil change. I'm wondering if it's suitable to use the Motul Gear 300 75-90 oil (Amazon link), as I already have two bottles in my garage, making it a cost-effective option. However, my mate, who is much more knowledgeable about cars and will assist me with the fluid change, has some reservations about whether it's the best choice for my car. I'd greatly appreciate your opinion on this matter. I'm a big fan of this little vehicle, and I want to ensure it stays in good condition without any issues.

Cheers

Carl

Hi Carl,

I recently changed the gearbox oil on my partners 2006 Citroen C1 with the manual gearbox. Like you it seemed there was conflicting information on which oil is best or suitable. In the end I bought this Comma MVMTF Plus 75W FS Manual Gear Oil. It's a fully synthetic API GL4 spec that seems to meet to surpass the recommended grades and didn't conflict with advice I had from others more knowledgabe than me on here.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Important that you use GL4 spec only, (DO NOT use GL5 as can damage gearbox internals) as above fully synthetic GL4 75W is common preference.

Thank you all for your responses. After reviewing the specs for the Motul 300 oil, I noticed that it is rated as both API GL-4 and API GL-5. Does this confirm that I should not use this oil? 

Yep, don't use it, seem remember they do a GL4/GL5 spec, which is also a no no, don't use anything with GL5 on/in it, API GL4 spec only.

Cheers, Steve! I'm glad I stumbled upon this splendid forum before using those bottles I had in me garage.

It's 75w GL4, the book states

1.7L, API GL-4 or SAE 75w

The recommended oil is. Toyota manual transmission gear oil LV 75W

Crack the fill plug loose first

GL-4/5 and GL-5 Contain sulphur, this will eat the bearings for every meal

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't use anything other than Toyota LV 75W.

You can find them on eBay or local Toyota dealer.

In fact, I just bought a litre from my local Toyota dealer a week ago at a price of £16.80 inc VAT. (Dealing with a leaking driveshaft seal on my sister's Toyota IQ after changing the clutch).

What's the interval to change it on ? Every 80 or 100.000 km ? Or even more ?

mk1 and 2 inspect and/or replace at 40k miles (60k km)

haven't a clue on the KGB70 manual or cvt

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links