Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MPG Aygo with CVT

scar

Hi All,

My daughter had a 2012 aygo manual and that returned on average 60mpg. She is thinking of a new Aygo with the auto (cvt) box.

Any users car to comment on their mpg and their views of the auto gearbox.

Thanks Steve

• Like 1

I had a mk1 Aygo before buying my current auto Aygo Edge. The new one is better on the mpg.

If I take it easy, I can get over 60mpg on my commute to work - I'd struggle to get 50 in the old one (25 miles of twisty Warwickshire country roads).

The CVT box can take some getting used to, but I love it. It can be loud if you put your foot down, but apart from that it just works - nice and smooth, no hassle from it at all.

• Like 5

The CVT-esque cars are just loud because if you push the pedal down hard, the CVT will 'downshift' immediately; It's like downshifting to 2nd or 1st - If you did that in a manual, it would be loud too! :laugh: 

Most drivers, esp. manual, will floor the accelerator but not downshift (Or downshift a single gear) and just wait for the revs to pick up more slowly.

After a while you learn you don't need to floor the accelerator to accelerate in a CVT like you do in a normal car (Unless you really want to :naughty: )

It's something that's taken me a while to change with my driving since I got the Yaris Mk4, but now I even subconsciously simulate the rising engine note by progressively increasing accelerator pressure rather than just going straight for max power. (Well, except when I do want max power immediately :naughty: )

• Like 6

Hi, my MPG on longer journeys is really good. Obviously for short trips it does go down, but my trip to Doncaster and back on Saturday just gone averaged 55mpg with a mix of going through roadworks at 40mph, as well as ordinary 70mph most of the time. The CVT gearbox is a real game changer to the Aygo and I love it.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links