Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shifting to neutral from easy while the car is moving

niki____

Hi, I have aygo 2021 with automatic transmission and I wonder is it bad to shift to neutral from easy while the car is moving and then back to easy. Would this cause a damage to the car transmission?

Also it is possible to shift to reverse while the car is moving,or the car has protection system which will prevent that?

11 minutes ago, niki____ said:

Hi, I have aygo 2021 with automatic transmission and I wonder is it bad to shift to neutral from easy while the car is moving and then back to easy. 

Why would you need to do this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi, 

check your owners manual for exact information. 
Shifting to N neutral when the car is in motion never cause problems and when you try to shift if there is no need to press brake this is as confirmation. 
Shifting to R reverse when moving forward will not be allowed on any car to prevent damage if R was selected by mistake. 

Iv got an automatic and I live on top big hill so when I got down the hill I going to N  then when I get to the bottom I have to stop there's a junction then I go in to D 

NEVER TRY TO GO IN TO REVERSE WHEN GOING FORWARD  unless your going very slow and about to stop but then you can go in to reverse....

Going into neutral whilst going downhill is coasting and it isn't supposed to be safe.

• Like 2

The X-shift transmission in the Aygo is a manual gear with an automated clutch, rather than a true automatic. 

Going into neutral whilst moving (coasting), although not illegal, does mean some loss of control (ie no engine braking when going downhill), and if there were an accident could be considered a contributory factor.

• Like 2

Never go down a hill in neutral - You loose all engine braking so the friction brakes will need to do all the work!! On a long hill there is a real risk they'll start to cook off and then you soon won't have any braking! :eek: 

And trying to switch from N to D while moving very fast is asking for a broken engine and/or transmission in most cars. 

You can get away with most of those things at low speed, even the reverse thing, but don't even try them above single-digit speeds unless it's some sort of emergency!! (Or you want an excuse to get a new car :laugh: )

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links