Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help me drive this C-HR :) :)

newauris

Hi, I was told today that my C-HR will be ready to collect mid next week.

I've never driven an automatic before, so a few tips would be greatly appreciated.

I know before I drive away in it the dealer will run me through the do's and dont's.

I've seen it writen to be careful selecting the correct gear, even ehen leaving doors open when cleaning the car interior.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

If you've never driven an automatic before, the best advice I can give is to tuck your left foot back, away from the pedals. You'll get the urge to push the non-resistant clutch pedal and will probably hit the brake pedal instead.

Apart from that, it's a real pleasure. It really is easy to drive. Your dealer should run through everything with you when you collect the car.

• Like 4

The first time I drove a friend's Rover 800 automatic years ago I accidentally caught the brake pedal when going for the non-existent clutch. I did an impromptu emergency stop and the driver of the car behind wasn't amused!

I was subsequently taught Bob/Big_D's tip of tucking your left foot back under your right leg when driving automatics, and it's good advice when getting used to one. Try to forget that your left foot exists 🙂

I really like automatics now and wouldn't go back to a manual by choice.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

I did an impromptu emergency stop and the driver of the car behind wasn't amused!

I was subsequently taught Bob/Big_D's tip of tucking your left foot back under your right leg when driving automatics

Thank you Nick.

20 hours ago, Big_D said:

If you've never driven an automatic before, the best advice I can give is to tuck your left foot back, away from the pedals. You'll get the urge to push the non-resistant clutch pedal and will probably hit the brake pedal instead.

Apart from that, it's a real pleasure. It really is easy to drive. Your dealer should run through everything with you when you collect the car.

I was a stick shift driver for 50yrs, and did exactly the same. I tucked my left foot in almost under the seat every time I drove the car until I got out of the old habit and my leg got sore and it made me very aware that I didn’t need my left foot. It also trained my mind.

• Like 2

You'll get used to it very quickly - The hybrids aren't like other automatics; They're much easier to drive and don't do anything weird. Everything's very predictable and intuitive.

The hardest thing is to not go for the gear lever or press the clutch when you're in muscle-memory mode as everyone says! :laugh: 

I'm lucky as the Yaris has a dead pedal, but I did jar my left leg when I tried to stamp on it during a sharp stop when I'd only had the car a few months :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/19/2023 at 7:37 PM, newauris said:

Hi, I was told today that my C-HR will be ready to collect mid next week.

I've never driven an automatic before, so a few tips would be greatly appreciated.

I know before I drive away in it the dealer will run me through the do's and dont's.

I've seen it writen to be careful selecting the correct gear, even ehen leaving doors open when cleaning the car interior.

Thanks in advance.

Enjoy it!

You will love Toyota autos and the Hybrid system, I'm still surprised by the fuel economy and how easy is to drive  

I did the same switch from manual to automatic and I will not go back, me and my wife we are already talking about buying another automatic most likely Toyota hybrid 

• Like 4

Im in the same boat. 1st automatic car. Will put the left leg under my right one until i get use to it. This is the only effective way to not floor the brake pedal accidentally. 
Did it twice on a test drive car thinking that will not be a problem. People at my back not happy at all. My wait is almost over🦾🤩

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Marjan said:

Im in the same boat. 1st automatic car. Will put the left leg under my right one until i get use to it. This is the only effective way to not floor the brake pedal accidentally. 
Did it twice on a test drive car thinking that will not be a problem. People at my back not happy at all. My wait is almost over🦾🤩

If you tuck your left foot back for 1-2 month until you fell that you got use to it you should be fine 😅

Very curious if you will do like me and ask yourself why I did not do the move to automatics a long time ago 

• Like 2

I changed from a VW Caravelle automatic, so was already used to an automatic gearbox.  My difficulty was not having a mechanical handbrake, and kept feeling for it on my L/H side.  I have driven for over 80 years, and only had an automatic for the last 5+ years, but I would not go back to a manual box.

What I would advise if, like me, you had a fairly basic vehicle and are now going to have one with umpteen gadgets - concentrate on familiarising yourself with the driving basics, and then gradually get to use all the “boys toys” on your new vehicle.  Then - ENJOY! 😀

• Like 2

Keep your left foot firmly off the footrest and don’t move it. Other than that, accelerator to go, brake to stop - all with right foot.

• Like 3

Don’t worry too much about it. There is no way not making a mistake, everyone did or does at some point. 

My first ever automatic car experience was a total failure and I was a driver in a company. The boss gave me to drive him in his Mercedes E250 auto back in the days as he was having his lunch and of course I did pressed the brake with my left foot 🫢, he almost dropped his burger and nearly hit his head into the dashboard, no joke.  At least he didn’t sacked after that. But it was his idea I drive he eats.  He should perhaps stop at restaurant and have a proper lunch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links