Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Probs!

sussex_ae92

anyone had trouble with the hydralic clutch on an ae92gti? started to get loss of pedal,as if im loosing hydralic pressure,which comes back if i pump the pedal a few times.i changed the fluid,as it was very black,but no differance.there is no signs of leaking round either master or slave cylinders,and the master looks v.new.clutch was replaced only 10000 miles ago. any ideas?

You say the master cylinder looks new, do you know if it was a Unipart replacement, apparantly in the 90's there was a problem with replacement/partern part master cylinders.

This I know because a friend who had a 1986 AE82 GT replaced his in 1994 (yes I know it wasn't old then, supprised him as well) with a pattern part. it was £37 quid as opposed to nearly £200 from Toyota (I kid you not, but they are cheaper now)!

It 'popped' 3 weeks later!

He then bought a second hand genuine Toyota one from Fensport (unknown age, millage etc.) and it was fine from that day forth.

On the topic of clutches,

How many miles have people being getting out of the clutch before a replacement?

My Ae111 G6R has now done 51k and i have noticed a judder first thing in the morning, but once warm its not a problem. Am I getting close to that replaceent time? ;)

On the topic of clutches,

How many miles have people being getting out of the clutch before a replacement?

My Ae111 G6R has now done 51k and i have noticed a judder first thing in the morning, but once warm its not a problem. Am I getting close to that replaceent time? ;)

My '93 AE102 1.8-litre is still on its original clutch, and has displayed the symptoms you describe since I purchased the car with 113,000 miles on it (it belonged to my auntie before, so I am 100% sure of the car's history, as I rode home from the dealership in it the day it was new). Now, at over 143,000 miles, it's still going... burnouts are no longer possible, but that's not what I drive a Corolla for. Normally, you might expect the torquier 1.8 7A-FE to wear through clutches faster than the 1.6 4A-FE, but that just shows the difference in driving styles.

According to secondhand buyers guides from the mid 80's to the present day clutchs seem to be given a 'safe' life expectancy of 100k miles for the standard models and 80k for the perfomance variants. Of course we all know that driving styles and conditions vary and so on.

My '89 AE 92 GTi has now reached nearly 87,000 miles so should the original clutch have gone 7000 miles ago! ?

I lost all the pressure in mine last Feb. It just went one day. I just managed to limp to my mechanic's garage. The last mile involved me driving at about 20mph cos I couldn't change gear by then. Turned out, the bleeding nipple had come loose. So he topped it up and tightened it up and it's been fine since.

My clutch was on its way out when I had my gearbox reconditioned (on about 125000 miles), so I had the clutch done too. That was the 3rd clutch on it (including the original) and that was 2 years ago.

Apparently, whoever had the car before me liked to ride the clutch , so it was almost completely worn out. It used to make a wired ticking noise when the car was in nuetral, but when I pushed the pedal down it would stop.

have decided to re-seal the master cylinder.this is after i rang toyota and got quoted £92 +vat for a new one!re-seal kit only cost £20,so gonna take my chances with this.will let you know how it goes,as long as mr toyota delivers tomoro!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links