Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel question

Ex Toyota owner

Hi

Hope you can help....

Asda delivery driver decided to ram my car and now wrote off 😞

I know I had three bars of petrol in the car, anyone know round about how much the fuel in the car would amount to?

Insurance company has totally ripped me off and I am planning on taking them to court.  Lost my excess £550, insurance has doubled in price but accident was not my fault, I was not even in the car.

Apricate any help 

As far as I'm aware the fuel gauge shows up to 8 bars. Simplistically 3 bars would be under half a tank - around 13 litres. However, the bars tend to go out faster as the fuel tank empties, so 3 bars would probably represent less than 13 litres.

• Like 3

Thank you so much for your help and speedy reply.

Why did you loose your excess? If it's the other party's fault your insurance company should claim it back.

The insurance doubling it probably unrelated - I didn't even have an accident and mine doubled last year! :crybaby: 

If you've already started a claim through your insurer, and the other party has admitted fault, then they will be claiming everything from the other party so you should not be out of pocket for anything.

In fact, a lot of the time the other party's insurer will often contact you to handle the repair, as they don't want to get taken to the cleaners by your insurer!

• Like 3

Cyker, Insurance company saying Asda not admitting liability.  Totally mind blowing for me and yes I admit it, I am a woman and this has really tested my mental health.  I paid Beam AA insurance for my policy to then find out Agues are the actual main insurance company.  

This has been going on since 10th August 20323 for a minor incident.  All parties involved dont talk to each other.

Third party did contact me but my insurance company said to leave it to them....yep I know live and learn.

I have contacted Asda, Beam AA and Ageus and non of the money grabbing *wats will admit they are in the wrong.

Been driving for 30 years and never felt so stressed and upset dealing with puppets.  

Poor Aygo and poor you 😞 My insurance went up by £160 this year, I don't think its getting any cheaper despite only being two years off 40. No claims either. 

Ack that sucks... so, are they (ASDA) saying it's your fault or just denying it happened at all?

I hate it when people are so dishonest, but unless you can get some evidence or witnesses against them, then it's your word against theirs and your insurer will likely not want to push for it.

It's never pleasant dealing with insurance claims, but I hope things go better for you!

Asda driver admitted liability and his manager rang me and also ''Admitted the driver was a fault''

Thanks

Can you speak to them and get that in writing from them?? That would help a lot!!

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware the fuel gauge shows up to 8 bars. Simplistically 3 bars would be under half a tank - around 13 litres. However, the bars tend to go out faster as the fuel tank empties, so 3 bars would probably represent less than 13 litres.

There's only six bars on the Mk1 gauge

My estimate on 3 bars is around 2.5 gallons x 4.54 = 11.35 litres.. Unleaded approx 1.54 x 11.35 = £17.48

• Like 3

1 bar (flash warning) is 5 litres

2 bar is roughly 10 litres

3 bar is anything in between 10 to 15

I wouldn't say I'm an expert at car insurance, but I do have some experience.  In a car accident, you generally have two options:

1. Claim your own insurance.

2. Claim opponent's insurance.

Either way, it usually start by phoning your car Insurance company. 

Claiming your own insurance will usually be the fastest.  However, it will consider yourself be at fault.  There will be a tribunal or some sort at a later date to determine who is truly responsible (so it erase your claim's record).  Nevertheless, the standard they held can be different from the police report (or the Highway code), simply because a lot of insurance companies are scumbags.

Claiming opponent's insurance will take the longest time, especially if the other side doesn't claim the responsibility.  But if the opponent is cooperative, it can be dealt with in 1 to 2 months.

For the Aygo X, if you have the MyT app set up, it will report fuel in percentage values. The tank is about 29L, so the math is straightforward.

I am not sure if Aygo has similar features, but if it does... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Something does not sounds right here. 
Your insurance charges you the excess because the opposite side refused to take responsibility. Since it’s not your fault your insurance should chase their insurance and take the responsible party to court and after you win the court your insurance will return your excess and you loose nothing. 
And why there is any interest about fuel in the tank? This the least you have to worry about. You need legal advice and help. The fuel just leave it with the car. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Something does not sounds right here. 
Your insurance charges you the excess because the opposite side refused to take responsibility. Since it’s not your fault your insurance should chase their insurance and take the responsible party to court and after you win the court your insurance will return your excess and you loose nothing. 
And why there is any interest about fuel in the tank? This the least you have to worry about. You need legal advice and help. The fuel just leave it with the car. 

Totally agree and that is my point.  I paid for my insurance and now they are expecting me to do their job for them and chase Asda's insurance.  I have told Beam AA, Agues and Asda insurance, if this is not sorted within 7 days will report them to Finance Ombudsmen and last option, small claims court.

The reason my asking about petrol, why should I also loose out on this, when there was still petrol in the car.  So far I am loosing out on £750 for something that was not my fault.

Asda insurance has today contacted me to say they are waiting for cctv evidence...wtf, surley they have this from the 10th August

• Sad 2

And this is why I swear by having a Dashcam in my car. I had a similar incident where I was sideswiped on the motorway. My insurance insisted it was to be considered a 50/50 accident, until they saw the Dashcam footage which they passed to the third-party insurers. It was clear that the accident was the other person's fault. I was considered to be in the right, didn't have to pay any excess, and had my car repaired. 

• Like 4

I hate insurance company's they are all scum  end off . 

As you said few diffrent names  and they been dicks  I would not be surprised to find out one owns the other  so they mess about to save money(paying out ) and again mess about to rip you off for more money (paying them) .

I had a similar run about when I had a bump on a roundabout  I have zero excess  so they made up one if you have a bump on roundabout it's auto £100 up front b4 they even start .they messed about over 6 months  (both insurance comps one was owned by the other R S A) in the end they fixed the car  and when they claimed for all expenses  they didn't claim my £100 back .as there was nothing in the excess   as its zero . So I lost out £100 as it been closed  cant open a closed claim both side argued it was the other sides fault ... 

If you tell them your going to report them to ombudsman  do it  don't bluff  its just a call  it help .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links