Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery problem with Toyota Corolla tourer - Hybrid

Gillian Buckley

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

My battery survived 13.5 years , all lockdowns and occasional use previously. No connected services and no screens in the car. 

Its the ‘connected services” that is the issue

On 9/28/2023 at 10:27 PM, Corolla Mike. said:

Surely plugging a solar charger at night is a no no. Where does it plug in to, as the internal power socket is ignition feed so will not charge the battery. Would have to go direct to battery. 

I have had my 2000 Corolla a year now and never had a problem, I am retired so don't use it every day, it kept it's charge when I went on Holliday for 12 days, so what is the difference between cars.

I know That I will have problems in the future when the Battery ages

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2024 at 9:01 AM, Greg999 said:

My 2000 Corolla 2.0 hybrid has the same issue. After it started doing some weird stuff and wouldn’t move, Toyota recovery was called and the guy from the AA couldn’t have been more helpful.  It was a failed 12v battery.  I cover 16K miles a year so it hasn’t failed from low mileage. Interestingly, he said that he had been called out to a lot of failed Toyota batteries in the last few months. Mine is covered under warranty so it will be back at the garage tomorrow as this is the second time it has happened. They need the car for 48 hours to charge the battery and retest. What’s the betting they tell me it’s fine like the last time? 🤔

This happened to me. Dealer did test, Battery passed at 24 hours but failed the 48hr test. They replaced it free of charge as car was one year old with 10000 miles done

• Like 2

I also have a 2L TS which is now 6 months old.  After seeing this post I measured the voltage on my 12V Battery and it was just under 12V so a bit low.   I have an old classic car which I keep on charge using a CTEK Trickle charger so charged my Toyota over night and it went up to 12.6v.  I will keep an eye on this in future and maybe give it a charge every 6 months or so.   I also have a NOCO GB40 booster pack which I keep in the car just in case, especially if I leave in an airport car park for some time.  

• Like 1

New Corolla 2.0L has revised bigger capacity Battery. But I am not sure when it was updated, probably about 1y ago. 

If we don't use it for more than 1 month, then connect it to trickled charger is a good idea. On facts, we need to turn the car On for 30 minutes every 2 months without driving to prevent the Hybrid Battery depleted below the threshold. 

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Tmy said:

Which size solar panel should I fit to my Toyota Yaris hybrid car and where exactly do I connect it ?

Hi, 

you can put any size solar panels., the bigger is the better. Plug into obd 2 port located under steering wheel column to the right under dashboard. 
Make sure always unplug beforehand you attempt to start the car.
AA has large panels on amazing, there are also other options. Toyota also sells some. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

you can put any size solar panels., the bigger is the better. Plug into obd 2 port located under steering wheel column to the right under dashboard. 
Make sure always unplug beforehand you attempt to start the car.
AA has large panels on amazing, there are also other options. Toyota also sells some. 

Please excuse my ignorance 🧐 When plugging a  trickle charger into the OBD port, does the trickle charger need a special plug/adaptor etc to connect to this  OBD port ?

Just now, badlywornroy said:

Please excuse my ignorance 🧐 When plugging a  trickle charger into the OBD port, does the trickle charger need a special plug/adaptor etc to connect to this  OBD port ?

Some come with an OBD port like this one: AA Charger

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links