Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bonnet release cable broken, Toyota chr 2019,

John66

Bonnet release cable broken on my Toyota C-HR, 2019,  how do I open bonnet to replace it? Any ideas welcome. 

Would this be covered under the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty??

• Like 3

The warranty is transferable.

• Like 2

Frosty's right - The manufacturer warranty follows the car, not the owner.

The tricky bit is arguing that it is covered by warranty and not a wear and tear item :laugh: 

• Like 2

How much wear and tear can a bonnet release cable be put through in four years. Even if the bonnet was opened once every month for four years, this would be a total of 48 times. If the bonnet is opened twice a month, this equates to 96 times. Surely any bonnet release cable should withstand more wear and tear than this.

I understand that any lubricant in the cable will dry out and cause additional friction, and this may shorten the life of the cable, but even so, how can this be seen as fair wear and tear.

• Like 1

Oh ok, didn’t know that about warranty, but yes think I might have problem about wear and tear. Thanks for info. Greatly appreciated. 

It's only under warranty if dealer serviced / serviced to dealer specs

do you know what end is broken, or has the plastic handle broken, do you feel any resistance

• Like 1

Has the outer cable failed letting mosture into it then its sized and snapped the inner cable.

There is no resistance from inside car, it’s very loose. Not sure if it has snapped or just come unhooked under bonnet, can’t open bonnet to find out. 

If you are going to claim on warranty best to book a check into a dealer. If try to fix yourself then they may refuse to fix it under warranty conditions. The cable may snap if any rust as noted earlier form or lack of lubrication on the moving parts, lack of use. I open my bonnet twice a week minimum, now over 8 years. 

At a guess it may require disassembly of the front.  Probably not difficult  just need tools, time, and space. 

However they may also know a shortcut from below.

• 11 months later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links