Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What's the lifespan of the hybrid battery on these Corollas?

Atikovi

I just bought a high mileage 2020 and read it has old style nickel Battery packs instead of the lithium that most modern hybrids use. Has anyone experienced any failures yet?

I presume theirs a lot more data out there on the old Battery packs than the new ones with regards to Battery failure.

If its was last serviced by Toyota then the Battery will still be under waranty.

• Like 2

Barring an actual fault, the packs generally last at least 10 years. I can't think of anyone posting about needing a replacement Battery due to old age, so they do last. I suspect in most cases they out-last the car!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

I can't think of anyone posting about needing a replacement battery due to old age,

The person or the car .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

28 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

If its was last serviced by Toyota then the battery will still be under waranty.

No mileage limit?

14 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

If its the same as the yaris it every 10,000 miles but its stated battery service waranty after a battery service it can be part of the normal service or just a battery service on its own.

I just bought it so have no idea when the Battery was serviced or what that even entails. I thought the hybrid Battery is sealed and isn't serviceable.

It should have had a hybrid health check as part of its servicing - assuming it has a Toyota main dealer service history. It’s a free part of the service. What is the mileage on yours? 

• Like 2

I am glad i searched this is not good news - 

How long do 2022 Toyota Corolla Hybrid batteries last?

2022 Toyota Corolla Hybrid batteries frequently last between 3-5 years, but this is variable depending on weather conditions, the type of Battery, driving habits, and more. You can prolong the life of your Corolla Hybrid Battery by:

• Proactively testing your Battery
  • Cleaning the terminals and posts of corrosion with the appropriate cleaning solution & a wire brush.
  • Keeping your vehicle stored indoors away from extreme swings in temperature or climate
  • Starting your 2022 Toyota Corolla Hybrid regularly is important. Don't let your battery go unused for long periods of time.
  • Keeping the battery tightly fastened - did you know the vibrations of your car can loosen the connections and extremely rattle your battery's components?

2022 Toyota Corolla Hybrid Battery (courtesytoyota.com)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Auris hybrid from 2010 here with Ni-Mh technology.
The car has covered excess of 252000 miles , it’s 13 years old and both 12v and hybrid batteries  are the original ones.
The car is in daily use as business vehicles and cover between 200-300 miles a day since 2018, almost every day. Efficiency is unchanged, 60mpg summer and 50mpg winter. 
There  are maintenance procedure on the hybrid Battery, in your case check  and replace Battery cooling fan filter , keep the car interior clean and dry, use AC during summer or if you prefer all year around, use heating during winter. 
Service at Toyota dealer and you will get another 10k miles or another 12 months of relax warranty on the car and the hybrid Battery

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Yorkboy said:

Presumably they are talking about the lead acid battery and not the traction battery. 

DOH having read it again it indeed is referring to the 12v Battery.

Now the good news - 

Most hybrid vehicle manufacturers say that, on average, a hybrid Battery pack will last from 80,000 to 100,000 miles. Prior to 2020, Toyota went further by offering a warranty that covered its hybrid batteries for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever came first. However, in 2019, the manufacturer announced that, from the 2020 model year, it was extending its hybrid Battery warranty to 10 years from the date of first use, or 150,000 miles.

That is great news for Toyota hybrid drivers who want to keep their cars for a long time. Additionally, it will give confidence to prospective used car buyers who might previously have shied away from a hybrid vehicle because of fears about having to replace an expensive battery.

The average American drives around 10,000 miles a year and keeps their car for between six and 12 years. Some Toyota hybrid car owners have reported batteries lasting up to 200,000 miles and more. That means you could buy a used 10-year-old hybrid car with a battery that could potentially still have up to 100,000 miles of life in it. So, in many cases, the battery could last for the expected lifetime of the vehicle.

• Like 3

Toyota will cover the hybrid Battery for 10 or 12 years if its serviced by them. 

Each service covers the HV Battery until the next service against defects.

The Battery pack is made up of cells called blades on a service these may be recharged so all cells are at the same voltage thats just one of the checks.

• Like 3

My old Gen 3 prius did over 110,000 miles in the UK before I trade it in, zero problems with either 12v or the hybrid traction batteries.

In the US my sister's Gen 2 prius (owned from new) has over 190,000 miles, and she's had one Battery issue where the dealer was able to find a replacement cell from a wreck, and the cost to fit and solve was under $500.

This isn't the world of those expensive EVs....

• Like 5

The Toyota hybrid Battery warranty varies around the world, but in the UK it currently goes up to 15 years as long as the Hybrid Health Check is carried out annually:

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/toyota-warranty

• Like 3

On 9/30/2023 at 4:51 AM, Gray86 said:

It should have had a hybrid health check as part of its servicing - assuming it has a Toyota main dealer service history. It’s a free part of the service. What is the mileage on yours? 

No such thing as a Battery health check that I know of here in the USA. As long as it's under the time (yes) and mileage limit (no) of the factory warranty, it is covered. It has 240,000 miles.

• 9 months later...

We purchased a brand new 2020 Corolla hybrid in June 2019. So far it has over 225K mi original miles. It has always been parked outside in the southern California weather. No batteries issue yet. The 12V is also original amazingly. Even the accessory belt is original. I'm amazed at the little amount of maintenance that this car requires. So far the main items we've changed are engine and inverter coolant, spark plugs and eCVT fluid twice as well as the cabin filter and HV Battery fan filter once (other things include engine oil, tires and engine air filters). On a non-hybrid engine this list of maintenance items would be at least twice as long.

• Like 4

These cars had no belts but everything else yes it’s a rock solid. 
There is a guy from USA that has 2020 Corolla saloon ans has covered over 450k miles to date with original batteries and most other parts, only regular service. 

• Like 3

If the hybrid Battery pack fails it’s only around £2k for a new one from Toyota. 

compared to the costs of a clutch/flywheel in other cars it’s similar but you should get at least 10 years out of a Battery pack. On 1 litre Honda civics the timing belt is £1,600 every few years. On my VW golf it was £1,000 and that used to be every 5 years. 

I was in a dealer recently having my dash cam fitted and there was another customer collecting his car after a new Battery pack had been fitted. I believe it was an old Prius he was driving. 

• Like 1

Battery lasts for gazillion years. it is not an EV. hybrid doesnt suffer from partial capacity drop

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links