Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Convertible roof damaging the paint

Romy

Hi! So my convertible roof of my 2020 Aygo is damaging the paint when I open it full. Its white paint so clearly to see that it's leaving a blackspot on both sides and some small scratches as well. Is this an known failure? The dealer it self told me to clean and polish it and put a glass coating on it. But I don't think this is a way to solvd the problem. 

As far as I'm aware, this is the first topic on the Club re this issue.

If they are black marks, presumably the top surface of the paint hasn't worn through, as the primer would be something like a grey.

Have you tried what they say?

Hi Romy,

Can you take close up photos and post them on here. This shouldn't happen so it sounds like the roof maybe slightly out of line and is just catching when opening or closing.

Have you tried watching as it opens and closes to see if it catches the paint.

Clean the marks off, and apply a clear PPF (Paint Protection Film) to the affected area

Hi! Thanks for responding, I polished it myself for as far as I can, but still you can see the black spots, also did I just discover there is a whole line created now before the small spots. There is no PPF or glass coating on it now but will consider it for sure if thats the only solution

IMG-20231007-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20231007-WA0012.jpg

Looks to me that it’s misalignment as it’s further out on the paintwork fully opened than it is at the start of the opening. Check to see if opened a little further on one side than its opened on the other side.

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2023 at 12:49 PM, Bper said:

Looking at this video it doesn't look like the roof touches the paintwork on this Aygo X. I assume the roofs are the same.

https://youtu.be/CCvHdiGzXNA?feature=shared

2020 will be a Mk2 the Aygo X (KGB70) is a very different car

another look at the vid it seems the initial lift doesn't quite come down correctly

is the roof tight when closed, whens the last time the canvas was cleaned correctly

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-aygo-roof-clean/

Seeing the video its the same aygo as I have, 'the old one'. And thats definitely showing a different way of opening the roof.

Im checking with another dealer tomorrow to see what they say about it.

I clean the car mostly every 3 weeks, the roof itself only with warm water and a soft brush, no soap, that was advised when I bought the car. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links