Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jump Starter Recommendations

Mr Billiards

I would like to purchase a jump starter (as a backup) to carry in the boot of my 2023 2ltr Corolla.

Any recommendations from experience regarding a reliable jump starter to purchase please.

This one does well in the Auto Express group test

https://www.mobilesolarchargers.co.uk/shop/details/overland-waterproof-car-jump-starter

Edited by Mr Billiards
added text

I have seen plenty of these mentioned in the very long 12v Battery thread in the Yaris forum  they can run to hundreds of pounds, this is £90 at Argos - 

I believe some Toyotas boots wont open if you lose power so best to store it in the glovebox or inside the car.

Buy Ring 6000mAh Jump Starter | Car battery maintenance | Argos

About this product

Small, safe and easy to use lithium jump starter is your ticket out of many sticky situations. It's suitable for use on cars up to 2L and includes a powerbank to charge your mobile devices. It's also got an LED torch, so you can see what you're doing in case you get a flat Battery at night.

• Charge time to charge up internal Battery is up to 2 hours.
  • Suitable for petrol engines up to 2000cc .
  • LED status indicators.
  • Booster cable length of 0.28m.
  • Built-in light.
  • 150 amp booster current to assist engine starting.
  • Requires full charge before use.
  • Protective rubber casing.

Accessories included:

• USB power socket.
  • Manufacturer's 1 year guarantee.
  • EAN: 5055175243382.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

I believe some Toyotas boots wont open if you lose power so best to store it in the glovebox or inside the car.

Spot on, and even better if you store it under the boot mat 🙂

In a locked car the best location is near the driver's seat.  You open that door with the mechanical key.

PS, my jump starter cost around £30 from Amazon. Superb design with clamp Shell case, multi-cable cable and about 4 000 ma

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Spot on, and even better if you store it under the boot mat

Is this a typo?  if the boot wont open if power is lost having the booster under the boot mat is the worst place.

2 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Is this a typo?  if the boot wont open if power is lost having the booster under the boot mat is the worst place.

No typo, reverse logic, it's the very worst place.  To access you would have the devil's own job just getting the floor out.

Our first car was a Standard 8 and the boot did not open.  I was too young to really explore and don't know if it had a spare wheel.   Getting that out would be beyond many.

6 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

No typo, reverse logic, it's the very worst place. 

I am confused and am not trying to be the forum pedant but surely it should have read -

Spot on, and even better  worse if you store it under the boot mat.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I have seen plenty of these mentioned in the very long 12v battery thread in the Yaris forum  they can run to hundreds of pounds, this is £90 at Argos - 

I believe some Toyota boots wont open if you lose power so best to store it in the glovebox or inside the car.

Sound advice...re - storing the jump starter in the glove box, never thought about how I would open the boot.  Thank you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Billiards said:

Sound advice...re - storing the jump starter in the glove box, never thought about how I would open the boot.  Thank you.

Glad I may have saved someone the nightmare of finding this out when theirs fails. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I am confused and am not trying to be the forum pedant but surely it should have read -

Spot on, and even better  worse if you store it under the boot mat.

You took me literally and missed the smiley

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Glad I may have saved someone the nightmare of finding this out when theirs fails. 

Forgive my silly question, this car is my first Toyota Hybrid.

On my 2ltr car the 12v Battery is in the boot. If the Battery was to go flat I assume I would have to gain access to the Battery to use the jump starter by lowering the back seats as I would not be able to open the boot with a flat battery.

Or is there another way to open the boot lid - Is this a practical solution?

3 minutes ago, Mr Billiards said:

Forgive my silly question, this car is my first Toyota Hybrid.

On my 2ltr car the 12v battery is in the boot. If the battery was to go flat I assume I would have to gain access to the battery to use the jump starter by lowering the back seats as I would not be able to open the boot with a flat battery.

Or is there another way to open the boot lid - Is this a practical solution?

There are terminals in the fuse box under the bonnet designed to be used for jump starting. It's shown in the owners manual. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

There are terminals in the fuse box under the bonnet designed to be used for jump starting. It's shown in the owners manual. 

Thanks for the information, that sounds a much better solution, much appreciated.

• Like 1

We have used one of these for many years, so long we have even had to change its Battery, though quiet cheap and easy to do.

Its got a lot more power and has an inbuilt light and good long strong leads.

You can  now get the same  model with inbuilt compressor. https://www.machinemart.co.uk/categories/?search=jump start

Its larger and one for the boot, but as said surely if your Battery was completely dead you could just lower the back seat to get it out, unless the new Corolla has some problem in doing that ? 

001853.thumb.jpg.627ec30963c147699921b2962a5b4b13.jpg

I have some points to add.

I have a couple small jump starter/multi use power banks. The first one was a Streetwise with 300amp peak. I had that when my Avensis Valvematic Battery showed early signs of weakness. This happens especially if I had did something without starting the engine, like doing diagnostics or fitting and testing the Dashcam. The Streetwise is adequate, but once in a while check and top up. That goes for any Battery device! I just put both jump starters on charge.

Then Lidl on their middle of Lidl deal with the following - 

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/ultimate-speed-portable-jump-starter-with-power-bank/p10007894   Go to full screen view: Ultimate Speed Portable Jump Starter with Power Bank - Image 1

I bought this and say it is very good. I have started many other cars, especially a few neighbours BMW cars two of which are 5 series diesels. 

An advantage with these jumper starters is the reverse polarity and short circuit protection! I have had to fix a car, and read on forums, when a car has been jump started and the person handling the cables has connected in the wrong order (negative first instead of positive), shorted or connected to the wrong terminal. Even experienced mechanics have made mistakes!

Jumper starters can give you time to sort out getting the right Battery and finance, depending on the state of battery. 

9 hours ago, Roy124 said:

You took me literally and missed the smiley

As i said i didn't want to be a pedant but imagine if someone else also didn't realise it was a joke and left it in the boot.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links