Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The security indicator flashing red about every 2 secs

olddriver

The car has been standing unused for 2 weeks and I  have just noticed that the “Security indicator” (a padlock illustration, see page 42 in the user guide) bottom right in the instrument cluster is flashing red about every 2 secs, does this indicate a problem, I haven’t noticed this before and I can’t find any info on it in the User Guide?

EDIT: After I started the engine, the light stopped flashing and was not showing, but back on when I turned the engine off!

Edited by olddriver
Bottom right in the instrument cluster,, not left.

I searched “Toyota security light blinking” and it said:-

“A slowly blinking light might mean that the system is not armed, but ready to be armed if need be.”

What does “ready to be armed” mean?

• Sad 1

OD. I imagine it means Ready mode is off and it will arm when the doors are locked.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

OD. I imagine it means Ready mode is off and it will arm when the doors are locked.

Thanks, but the doors are locked and it is not showing any are open.  I just tried the doors without the keys, ie the keys were the other side of the house, and couldn’t open them.

Oh for a return of the old fashioned metal key!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olddriver said:

The car has been standing unused for 2 weeks and I  have just noticed that the “Security indicator” (a padlock illustration, see page 42 in the user guide) bottom right in the instrument cluster is flashing red about every 2 secs, does this indicate a problem, I haven’t noticed this before and I can’t find any info on it in the User Guide?

EDIT: After I started the engine, the light stopped flashing and was not showing, but back on when I turned the engine off!

From your desciption I would say this is normal for your car, The flashing indicator is to indicate that the security system is currently active and doing it's job. Most likely you've never paid it any attention in the past.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DerekHa said:

From your desciption I would say this is normal for your car, The flashing indicator is to indicate that the security system is currently active and doing it's job. Most likely you've never paid it any attention in the past.

Thanks, that’s certainly possible as it was about 6.30 pm, when it was beginning to get dark, that I first noticed it, but it is so bright that I think I would have noticed it when I got in the car, unless it doesn’t flash during the daylight, which seems unlikely to me.  However, before tonight, I certainly have never been in or near the car when it is dark.

EDIT: that last sentence my be untrue, the car wasn’t insured for one minute after midnight between the Toyota insurance cover and my insurance company cover, so I got up, dressed, and I think that I went out and checked on the car at midnight but I can’t remember precisely what I did, but I think that I would have seen the flashing light because it is so bright.  Tonight it is parked on my drive and I can see the flashing light through the glass in my front door!

• Like 1

Best that it's bright! Putting off the scroat's is the general idea.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Most likely you've never paid it any attention in the past.

No, I would definitely have noticed it.

This morning I checked the car in daylight and the flashing padlock is clearly visible, it again disappeared on starting the engine, and I would have definitely noticed it previously if it had been present.  Interestingly there was a similar post to mine in 2017  on the other GT86 website.

After reading through over 300 items in the Index of the GR86 User Guide, I found the attached pages 38 and 39.  There are labels on the side windows saying my car has Double Locking.  Consequently, it seems to me that I must have inadvertently “Touched the sensor area on the underside of the outside door handle.” (I have only just learnt about this as it says on page 53 that “Make sure to touch the sensor on the back of the handle”) and then pressed lock on the remote, although I can’t think why I would have done that.  Presumably the flashing padlock will be a permanent feature now.
I don’t know if the car has an alarm, but I assume not, as at the top of page 39 it says that “The indicator light changes from being on to flashing when the system is set.”, and the padlock indicator light only flashes, it’s never permanently on.

IMG_5398.jpeg

Mine only flashes when double locked. As you mention touch handle to lock then press keyfob lock 👍

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 1:20 PM, olddriver said:
I don’t know if the car has an alarm, but I assume not

This has been the subject of certain consternation over at the GRZoo forum. The GR86 is fitted from factory (for the UK market) with a Thatcham certified immobiliser only. Despite what early Toyota literature and specifications declared, the car is not fitted with an alarm of any kind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links