Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Puncture repair kit

Andy BZ4x

Hi All,

I had a puncture a couple of days ago & tried to use the emergency puncture repair kit supplied with the car, unfortunately the hole was a bit big so the glue didn't work & I needed a new tyre. I then contacted Toyota for a replacement bottle of 'glue' for the kit & was quoted £48.00 

I decided not to purchase this & bought a complete new kit from Halfords complete with a new compressor for about £35, at least when i need replacement glue in the future it will only cost £20 

• Like 3

This has been the case for a number of years - not new and not just Toyota - and one can buy just t he sealant for £12-20.

The sealant often has a use-by date as well - used to be around 3 years.

• Like 2

May want to look into getting this kit, myself and other forum members have used this kind of kit with great success, last the lifetime of the tyre. Can get from eBay

Screenshot_2023-01-08-19-13-30-967_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.3d00d5bd7b9aba0382e76067c5749dee.jpg

• Like 4

I bought a puncture repair kit about 5 years ago which comprised of rubber plugs which you inserted into the pierced tyre and then pumped the goo into the interior cavity.  Needless to say I have not had the need to use it and therefore cannot comment on its effectiveness.  However, some of my friends who are still bikers all carry these kits with them and have used them in the past.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bilthehut said:

I have these for small holes ( nails, screws etc) in the tread area. Bought from Amazon.IMG_8779.thumb.png.f7166153a77ebed1258fd47631083af3.png

Does it work well

3 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Does it work well

No idea as not needed yet.  However, they were bought in light of the Daughter’s BZ4X having a screw puncture.  The repairer did not like the rubber plugs one can self buy.  This seemed a good way of ‘plugging’ the hole when taking the screw out.  It is not a permanent fix but will get you to a repairer in due course.

• Like 3

Not sure what that repairer did not like regarding the string plug. A member on this forum had used those to plug 1800 tyres in a year and had no come back. 

Done 3 myself, permanent fix. Some other members done many of these plugs. My go to indy tyre guy used this method, I no longer go to him since I have learnt how to do it myself. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I got a set but without instructions and no glue.  I guess (correct me if I am wrong) you insert the string in the hole, pull the plunger out, then cut the excess off.  Then reinflate with the foam. 

Now the same vendor put up a video with the hole in the side wall.  I guess this might make an acceptable emergency repair on the proverbial wet winter Sunday night, but never as a permanent repair.

• Like 1

If this is the sticky strings, you basically have to thread a sticky string half-way through the stabby thing and stab the stabby thing part way into the puncture (Maybe reaming out the puncture hole with the round abrasive tool thing first if the puncture hole is too small to stab - The stabby part requires a very strong arm!), then sharply pull the stabby thing out again so the sticky string bunches up on the inside and is left blocking up the puncture, then lastly cut off any excess still sticking out of the tyre and re-inflate the tyre (Not with foam, just air!).

(It's a good thing I'm not employed to write instructions professionally.)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I got a set but without instructions and no glue.  I guess (correct me if I am wrong) you insert the string in the hole, pull the plunger out, then cut the excess off.  Then reinflate with the foam. 

Now the same vendor put up a video with the hole in the side wall.  I guess this might make an acceptable emergency repair on the proverbial wet winter Sunday night, but never as a permanent repair.

Use the other part first - file piece to make the hole bigger. The glue is actually a lubricant to make the rubber string go in easier. Can't comment on sidewall, done it 3x times myself and it's a permanent repair, TonyHSD done it many more times than me. 

16 minutes ago, Cyker said:

(It's a good thing I'm not employed to write instructions professionally.)

For that sir, you're worth minimum wage. (Think you are one of the translator for products from china English translations) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I got a superb,  inexpensive,  6 in Battery chainsaw.  I have taken 2 8 inch tree trunks down.  Confined space and my 24 inch one would have been awkward. 

But the Chinglish instructions were something else.   No mention of putting oil in the reservoir, in fact no mention of the reservoir at all.  Some other instructions were impossible to even guess at.

• Haha 4

I swear they do it on purpose - Even google translate would have made more sense! :laugh: 

• Haha 2

On 10/19/2023 at 4:39 PM, Bilthehut said:

No idea as not needed yet.  However, they were bought in light of the Daughter’s BZ4X having a screw puncture.  The repairer did not like the rubber plugs one can self buy.  This seemed a good way of ‘plugging’ the hole when taking the screw out.  It is not a permanent fix but will get you to a repairer in due course.

Finally had to use the screw repair kit.  It worked perfectly and sealed the puncture.  The screw was screwed in to below the tread.  I then had a proper repair done later.

• Like 2

Yeap, these repairs are life saver if done correctly they can last lifetime of the tyre. My last repair lasted over 60k miles and was wearing together with the tyre tread depth and no issues at all. No air loss, no damage.
Usually after each tyre repair even those made in a professional tyre shop it is advisable to check once a week after the repair and look for pressure loss or any visual damage near the area of repair. If there are any best to replace with a new tyre. 👍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links