Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart key malfunction

SimB

Hi all,

anyone had this problem and can tell me how to resolve please , 

Many thanks

Might be useful to know in what way the key has malfunctioned - perhaps you could unlock more information?

• Haha 2

Sorry opened the car up and the message “smart Key Malfunctioned” on the dash. Looked the manual and online for any tips and nothing appears to resolve the issue , checked Battery state and this appears fine as it was noted this is a constant pointer.  The car is stuck in Park and I cannot move it to allow it to be picked up either - any thoughts most welcome

Here is a link to a chap on YouTube that shows the shift lock release method.

• Like 2

The steps to take include:

When the electronic key does not work properly:

• Make sure that the smart entry & start system has not been deactivated in the customization setting. If it is off, turn the function on.
  • Check if battery-saving mode is set. If it is set, cancel the function.

And, maybe, simply replace the Battery in the key.

To get the car going in any case:

Screenshot2023-10-23161324.thumb.png.ab51c6a93f32cb3bf4ecf79a3705f5c4.png

Screenshot2023-10-23161232.thumb.png.e50a4491586a2171eb1693ad1980122b.png

• Like 1

Thanks for all suggestions and manual page snippets no joy with any unfortunately.

Just to add to the story with malfunctioning smart keys.  I cannot open the car with the fob but touching door handle works then all other functions activate, 

The AA failed to find any fault and the car still won’t start.  Something quite weird going on,

next move car is off to local dealership 

• Sad 1

This is a very intriguing fault for sure. Something must be working cos touching the door handle unlocks the car! Is the car trying to start or just completely dead? I watched a YouTube video of a couple of chaps (americans) running their toyota RAV 4 PHEV out of fuel just to see what happens. Apparently, when this happens there is some sort of interlock invoked that prevents the car from starting to avoid damaging something in the Hybrid system, however, they managed to clear the indicated faults with an OBD plug after filling with a gallon of fuel and the car eventually started and they were on their way.
Please post what the garage comes up with when they sort out the problem.

• Like 1

Mine is 2008. Key not detected. Tried a new Battery, after a week, same error. Took Battery out, carefully cleaned contact points within the fob. Seems to work better now. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links