Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clock didn't change automagically

UncleZen

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with it - Fun fact - A lot of computer time systems work by counting the number of seconds since 00:00 on 1 January 1970.

They used a 32-bit Integer to store this, which holds numbers up to about 2 billion/ thousand million, but it turns out 2 billion seconds only gets us to 2038, and then it'll overflow/wrap around to the 1900's! :eek: 

They've fixed it in most modern systems by moving to a 64-bit Integer (I'm not even going to try and write how big a number that can hold - Lets just say it'd be a lot longer than the age of the universe), but I have a feeling there are a lot of old systems running important stuff that will suddenly think it's the 1900's in 15 years! :laugh: 

Arrgh, the millennium bug all over again looming.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Arrgh, the millennium bug all over again looming.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

The linux (unix) millenium bug year has always been known and is well documented as 2038

20 minutes ago, Paul john said:

The linux (unix) millenium bug year has always been known and is well documented as 2038

Never heard of that myself, but thanks for the information.

No good me pretending to understand it though.

So, what is going to happen in 2038 ?

9 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

what is going to happen in 2038 ?

My 95th birthday

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Never heard of that myself, but thanks for the information.

No good me pretending to understand it though.

So, what is going to happen in 2038 ?

Hopefully nothing, or maybe you'll get a backdated refund for 138 years of electric and gas bill or something :laugh: 

It'll probably be as anti-climactic as the first millennium bug tho', esp. since they had that as a first warning to fix it!

Might be tricky for anyone still using an Amiga or Atari ST or Windows 95 'tho :laugh: 

• Haha 1

With refunds on electricity and gas bills, it used to be a friendly chap came around every 3 months or so.

And there were big piles of shillings on the kitchen table.

He calculated the charges,minus the overpayment via the meter and usually there was a refund worked out on the spot, many shillings returned to feed the meter.

But of course, everything has improved since then, and now malfunctioning smart meters charge on direct debit and can cut off remotely even if the mistake is at their end.

• Like 3

turn off DLS and GPS on and the clock will change instantly.

• Like 1

I “think” my 2021 C-HR has reset the clock automatically. Being retired, I don’t get situations where the time is important hen driving, but will check it out.

Smart meters - I will not entertain them.  I know what the consumption is for the various appliances around the home, and quite capable of roughly assessing what energy I am using.

• Like 3

The other large grey animal in the room with smart meters for me,is if something needs to be on then why should it be turned off because of what a smart meter says?

I wouldn't turn a chicken off halfway through cooking to save money, and get salmonella.

And how does it save money when a smart meter runs on electricity,ok maybe an infinitesimal amount, but that still means more, not less.

• Like 2

Exactly right, Paul.  I would not be happy with smart meters, simply because of what horrendous experiences customers have reported.  In some cases, perhaps it could have been their own fault, but I am not convinced that this is so.  If they are as user friendly as we are led to believe, then why have some energy companies made it a condition for new customers, or used enticements to accept them.  Most people know a good thing when they see it, and take it on without pressure having to be applied.

• Like 3

Ugh, smart meters, one of the biggest lies they used to try and get people to take them is that they'd save you money.

Yeah right, only by scaring the :censored: out of you by displaying the cost maybe!

My brother caved in as the people fitting his solar panels said you needed to have a smart meter to get paid for generation (Which we now know is a big fat lie, but it's too late to go back.), and they had him on the wrong tariff for months and overcharged him massively - So much that now that they've fixed it he won't have to pay for electricity for ages since he's got so much credit (Of course they won't refund it to him...), and that's made worse since 90% of his power comes from the solar panels now (Although that seems to be dropping rapidly now it's autumn...!)

Another funny thing is with the 2G and 3G shut off, a lot of 1st gen smart meters would have stopped working and anyone with one would have had to manually submit meter readings anyway :laugh: 

(Thankfully someone with a brain realized this and managed to extend 2G for a few more years while they argue over who has to pay to replace all the old smart meters :laugh: )

• Like 1

Well we went smart last year.  Saves having to read the meter myself, except it stopped working at Christmas,  just when you don't want to go outside.  I played the age card and made them visit each month.

However,  my supplier pays 5% on credit balance,  double what my bank pays.  They also have green challenges.   It was £10/m Jul, Aug, Sep.  Our Electric consumption in September was £9.95.

Oct, Nov, Dec it will be £15/m if we hit the target.  Don't know yet.

Regarding panels, agree, it's about 50% on a good day now.  The feed in payment is derisory.

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2023 at 10:48 AM, Haliotis said:

I “think” my 2021 C-HR has reset the clock automatically. Being retired, I don’t get situations where the time is important when driving, but will check it out.

I was wrong!  The time hasn’t changed automatically.  So, reading the handbook, the info for changing the time isn’t correct for my car.   Then, searching on the infortainment screen, I found a menu with “clock” on it.  There were a few choices, two of which gave ‘daylight saving time’ and ‘Greenwich mean time’.  Clicking on the latter instantly reduced the time by one hour, making the clock correct. Still haven’t sussed out how to adjust the minutes if they were wrong.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links