Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Secret Yaris Hits The Road

eternity575

Auto Express reader Peter White could hardly believe his eyes when he was overtaken on a French highway by a group of heavily disguised cars. So, as his wife drove, he began to take a series of photographs - and this is the result. Unknowingly, Peter caught the first pictures of Toyota's new Yaris on the road.

The next-generation model is due to go on sale in 2005, and is bigger than the car it replaces. Both three and five-door editions will be available, codenamed 980N and 970M respectively. Peter said: "The disguised cars were all five-doors, and there were also some current Yaris models, which were clearly testing engines. One of them even had a series of turbo boost gauges mounted on the A-pillar, next to the driver. But no one in the convoy looked too happy when I started to take pictures."

The five-door Yaris is expected to be fairly conventional. We revealed how the car will borrow styling cues from the Avensis In Issue 784. However, designers are believed to have been let loose on the look of the sportier three-door version, which will feature a sliding pass- enger door to improve access to the rear cabin. Inside the new Yaris, buyers can expect fold-flat seats and a flexible load area. Secure underfloor storage is also set to be developed.

Entry-level cars are likely to use a 1.0-litre engine, but two new ultra-efficient D-CAT diesels are also being developed. While exact specifications have yet to be confirmed, it's thought this unit will be based on the 1.4-litre D-4D powerplant available in the current line-up.

Two flagship models are also planned, including a 1.5-litre turbo. There's even talk of a hybrid version, offering at least 80mpg. But it's not all good news - following poor UK sales, the Yaris Verso may not be part of the new line-up. Dan Strong Published: 11/08/04

http://www.carsplace.co.uk/news/news_55.html

post-49-1093163941.jpg

still featured at op of the page too :rolleyes:

cant tell much from that pic but to be honest the turbo has been out

else where for ages but will toyota bring it to uk? i think NOT :( :crybaby:

Hmm .. really need better pics than that .. cos the one there looks like someone took a nice slanted chop .. and chopped the butt off it!

I prefer the pics i saw before from that chinese mag/newspaper that was shown a while back.

cant tell much from that pic but to be honest the turbo has been out

else where for ages but will toyota bring it to uk? i think NOT  :(  :crybaby:

Maybe not, if it does end up with 'more conventional' avensis-like styling cues (like the fiesta looking like a mini focus), then our friends at toyota gb may feel the new model will be in greater demand, and we may yet see a turbo yaris officially on sale next year in the uk.

Then again, those idiots in their marketing department could just stick it outside a hairdressers again... :ffs:

oh dear looks like theyve taken door handle inspiration for VW! *puke*

They all beginning to look like the Jazz, new Colt etc with that kinda shape!!

Well, Mitsubishi will be launching a Colt CZT, a 1.5 turbo with 150bhp next year, so maybe Toyota will have one to rival it???!! :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links