Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

scar

33 minutes ago, CPN said:

Well, as it happens, when the car is off, it is off also so not much risk there then.

no but I expect some might leave it plugged in and use it to charge several devices whilst travelling. I think that would be a risk

• Like 1

There's no risk, the built in fuse would blow. Mine has sat nav, Dashcam and phone plugged in when driving, 3 devices. 

• Like 2

It's not about the power consumed by the correctly working devices but the power dissipated as heat by the invalid working one, drawing just enough current to heat up quickly and not enough to blow up the fuse 🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Found out that Sainsbury's light bulbs were made by Philips, it was sold cheaper than Philips bulbs in the store. 

Still might be lower specs (higher tolerances) than the original Philips ones 🙂 Same story goes for food. A friend of mine worked for a cookie manufacturer who got a contract from Lidl to deliver some products under their own brand. They did and the process was identical, just the ingredients were changed slightly.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the myT app works in conjunction with Home Assistant?
Would be good for someone like me who doesn't drive much to run the Ready mode automatically once a week using Home Assistant (car would be parked on driveway).

Nice to see a car manufacture is fitting solar cells to the roof of one of its hybrid cars.

Maybe Toyota should follow the example of which ever company makes the 2024 Prius and fit them to keep the 12 volt Battery of their hybrids topped up......... unless you happen to live somewhere where  it always rains.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chas G said:

Nice to see a car manufacture is fitting solar cells to the roof of one of its hybrid cars.

Maybe Toyota should follow the example of which ever company makes the 2024 Prius and fit them to keep the 12 volt battery of their hybrids topped up......... unless you happen to live somewhere where  it always rains.

Perhaps so, though the expense v benefit ratio may not be good especially for someone like you with your 12v garage setup. I would not pay £££ for it on a Yaris as I have not had a problem with the 12v with my current usage. 

• Like 1

I would!! The traction Battery is so small it would provide a significant % of charge on a day like this, and help mitigate the drain from the AC!! :laugh: 

I think anything with an electric drive should have a whole-roof solar panel as standard, esp. as they're so cheap now. Doesn't even have to be a cutting-edge high-efficiency one, even those cheap ones that are essentially printed out on to a flexible substrait would do me!!

• Like 3

Ok kiddo I will do it for £800. Stick on solar panels on the roof, drill a small hole in the roof to feed the cables through and connect to 12v Battery

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Can you do a wind turbine too while you're up there? :whistling1: :laugh: 

• Haha 5

Not my field sorry, I think Chas G is working on a mini prototype in his 12v garage, as he now enjoys keeping the Battery alive. Besides, a discount of non added vat has been given to you for being a loyal and helpful toc member. 

You want the solar to chase fuel efficiency really, want to break into the 90 mpg average. The printed stick on solar can help with that, comes with a 24 months manufacturer warranty from china. 

• Haha 5

Car last used 5th July, ignition on today (24th) and went into ready mode and engine started as it went into drive.  Absolutely no issues on Yuasa Battery.

• Like 10

I have a similar problem: after a 40 mile run today, I had a warning on the display- ‘battery low, switch off power’. 
I thought it should be fully charged after a run like that. 

Battery is probably gone, u have a 2024 car? It may be possible to put it on a charger overnight and see how it goes if able to do so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strathspey said:

after a 40 mile run today, I had a warning on the display- ‘battery low, switch off power’. 
I thought it should be fully charged after a run like that. 

It might have been (though 'full' can be only 80% sometimes) but if you put it in accessory mode after stopping rather than leaving it in Ready then it will drain to that warning quite quickly.

Did you have it in acc/aux?

If so how long?

• Like 1

So...today, we collected our shiny new 24 plate Yaris from the dealer. 4 miles on the clock at collection, 10 miles once home, and then I spent an hour or so setting up the nav, stuff like that...

...and killed the car stone dead.

A Toyota guy came out and boosted it for us, and we immediately did a good 50 min drive at 60 or so. All seems well again, except now I'm stuck with a 'Hybrid System Malfunction' message.

How do I clear the message? Toyota guy said it 'would clear'- will that be when the 12v Battery recovers further, or..?

(I expect my answers may already be in this thread, but I'm doing a hundred things at once, so apologies)

When you set on the sat nav for an hour, was the engine turned off and it was in acc mode? Basically with the Yaris small 12v Battery, not good to not leave engine on/ready mode for more than 5 mins. 

In my experience they need to reset the code that was set to clear the Hybrid System Malfunction message - 12v Battery going low causes all sorts of weird behaviour - but at least one person found the message suddenly went away on their car after a few days, just before they were going to take it to the dealer, so I'm not 100% sure.

FYI you didn't need to go for a drive - If you just turn the car on and leave it in Ready mode while you were setting up the satnav etc. that provides charge to the 12v Battery.

Thanks for the replies, though they seem to contradict each other about Ready mode? (Which I believe is recommended for an hour as a way to charge up? I'm totally new to hybrids though) 

I'm more concerned about shifting the error messages right now.

The basic rule is if you're in the car, it should in in Ready mode. Don't use any other mode - they are vestigial modes from ICE cars and serve no useful purpose in the hybrid; Normally you'd use aux mode to e.g. listen to the radio without the engine running, but the hybrids will do that in Ready mode anyway so there's no need to use aux.

The fastest way to get rid of the error will be to use an ODB tool to clear it, otherwise the easiest will be to get the dealer to clear it (The person who came out to jump it really should have done that while they were there...)

• Like 1

Thanks for giving this newbie some advice, very much appreciated!

• Like 2

An update on my prior query- this morning (after about 3-4 cycles of the power maybe?) the hybrid warning message was gone and the car was right as rain today. I did buy myself one of those Noco boosters though, just in case!

• Like 8

same time, same route, 1 day difference 🙃

image.thumb.png.37d38c77f12d2035640e4888390bfff9.png  image.thumb.png.37446603ae4c3cdd7e6c9bd928462d4c.png

• Like 2

In dealers getting MOT yesterday. While waiting and availing myself of the free coffee noticed that they were moving a Yaris premiere out of the showroom and had to use a Battery booster  pack to first start it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I do wonder how my dealer's getting on with that - When my neighbour was working for them he would often grouse that nobody charged the cars and it always fell to him to plug them into trickle chargers. Now he's not there I suspect they will have a lot of flat batteries on waiting cars!

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links