Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

scar

3 hours ago, Auris Geezer said:

My gut feeling is disconnecting the negative lead would mean you would have to lock the car manually, the alarm/immobiliser would be inoperative, as would the electric parking brake, maybe the parking pawl on the transmission too.  I could be wrong.

The electric parking brake once engaged doesn't need 12V to keep its status.  The parking pawl on Yaris is totally mechanic so doesn't depend from 12V. 

The issues due to a long 12V disconnection could due to electronic units that could lose their memory ( radio, alarms, electric windows.... )  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I went back to the dealer today about the replacement head unit which was fitted whilst they were changing the Battery. Several people tried to sort it but they couldn't get the myt services working so I asked if the unit had been registered and no one knew if it needed it, they brought out the mechanic who fitted it and I asked him the same question he said it should have been but I will check. He came back 10 mins later and said it's now registered and he then logged in on the unit so all is now sorted.

• Like 7

Interesting finding. Time is also important to turn off smart charging.

image.thumb.jpeg.6481103884043ba370d323dc0df2c91f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4223895392ecc7769bca7415df0fe7d6.jpeg

• Like 2

Dala, can you talk us through those graphs?

If I understood correctly, the Battery voltage (vertical axis value) is increased (by the DC/DC converter, which is responsible for the charging) to a greater value (meaning that the charging current is higher) after the car is started when it was left turned off for a longer period (more than 24h) when compared to a shorter period of being left unused. Meaning that the smart charge algorithm may take into consideration time when it was left parked. This happens despite the fact that initial Battery voltage was higher after 24h+ parking, which means that this is not directly dependent on the Battery voltage - at least not only.

• Like 4

Marek,  logical, both charging cycles were for one hour 20 minutes (approximately).  

I will check mine.

Incidentally, my BM6 allows a graphical display of 1 day, 3 days or 5 days.  I have just discovered I can shift the display window to earlier dates.  Not sure how far back I can go.

47 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Dala, can you talk us through those graphs?

Exactly the same driving route. The same volts before driving (0.02V difference). Same driving time. 
BM6 shows these values frequently. If I am stationary for more than 1 day, the voltage is more than 14V for the first ride.

20 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

...Not sure how far back I can go...

BM6 connection date, but it is necessary to connect to BM6 at least once a month and synchronize data. Data is stored in the Battery monitor for up to 35 days.

• Like 2

Our 12V Battery is probably finished and the garage has booked us in for a diagnosis and replacement (8 day delay) - it sounds as though the Warranty Manager at the dealer has agreed to the replacement even though they haven't tested the original Battery yet. If the Battery is replaced it will be a Yuasa 340LNO-MF which I can't find on the Yuasa UK site. He says it's a 35Ah battery. I asked if I could pay the extra for a Yuasa 45Ah and he said no. So I'll probably let them fit their idea of a battery and then do a swap later.

• Like 2

It's LN0 (zero) not O 🙂 it refers to the size IIRC.

• Like 3

Is there a point to all the voltage stealing "connected services" everyone raves about which seem to cause so much trouble on new cars.

Just asking 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chas G said:

Is there a point to all the voltage stealing "connected services" everyone raves about which seem to cause so much trouble on new cars.

Just asking 😀

It's a marketing feature.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chas G said:

Just asking 😀

Nothing wrong with carbide lights and magneto ignition,oh and a starting handle.

No Battery problems then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

and a starting handle.

Might see that in the next Toyota :naughty: 

The Trevor Baylis Clockwork Windup 12v system! :laugh: 

• Haha 4

I had a look at Toyota App and the on line connected services and the only feature I can see that would be of interest to me is the "Where is my car" which would be handy when I forget where I have parked it. 

I am in favour of technology used to improve fuel efficiency but all I can see in the Toyota app are gimmicks.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Nothing wrong with carbide lights and magneto ignition,oh and a starting handle.

No battery problems then.

My old Wolseley 1500 had a starting handle, great for keeping it going with a tired Battery

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think it's just a checkbox feature they feel they have to put on because everyone else is; I didn't even bother enabling it on mine.

I'm honestly surprised cars aren't being routinely hacked remotely at this point...!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ColinB said:

My old Wolseley 1500 had a starting handle, great for keeping it going with a tired battery. 

I never had one of those, did want one quite badly back in the 70s.

I liked the shape, and my gfs brother had one, and it seemed a bit nippy, and well built.

And you always knew when one was coming in the dark with that lovely touch of the illuminated Badge .

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Chas G said:

Just asking 😀

I look at my my Toyota app everyday I like to see the mpg on the journey the times I was in ev mode etc I also like the feature that tells you on the journey where you saw a beautiful woman however this only seems accurate on a sunny day 

• Haha 4

Hi

I have just ordered a Yaris Excel and am trying to gather information as to potential problems

Given that I have had Battery problems in other cars I was interested in this discussion

Can someone please tell me what Privacy Mode is and where it is in the car menus

I have not been able to find it in the owners manuals

John

3 hours ago, Johnold said:

Can someone please tell me what Privacy Mode is and where it is in the car menus

For me it’s shown in top right of the 9inch infotainment screen …

IMG_0676.thumb.png.df6c00f4279d0bebb2b69d036c2cdf3d.png

And this is the explanation from the owner’s multimedia manual..

IMG_0677.thumb.png.c29232ae180dced86c1db76ef505eb07.png

• Like 1

Thanks Graham

My Yariss Cross is 4 months old. For the last few days, the engine does not switch to the hybrid system. The EV mode only turns on when I stop at a traffic light. Could the cause of this phenomenon be a weak 12 V Battery. When I drive it for 30 minutes, the EV starts working. 

• Like 2

I don't think it's connected, 12v Battery is charged regardless of the drive used (EV or not). Maybe GPF cleaning kicked in? There are actually many potential causes to that, without the service diagnostics it's impossible to guess why it is hesitant to switch to EV 

• Like 1

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Cross but have seen many threads like this which is  bit of a worry i have skipped through this thread  as 102 pages is a lot to read in one go so i ask owners if this issue turned out to be a lack of driving because of covid, poor 12v batteries,  both or something else.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

☑ All of the above 😉

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links