Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

scar

Hi

The Spare Wheel Kit is not on the Toyota options list but it is something my Toyota dealer offers

So it may not be offered by all Toyota dealers

They have charged £450 for the kit

When I get the car in about 3 weeks I will take a photo and post it here

John

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Johnold said:

Hi

The Spare Wheel Kit is not on the Toyota options list but it is something my Toyota dealer offers

John

Sticking with the subject change, and no doubt someone will move this post elsewhere, I recently bought a space saver spare kit for our Yaris Cross. It cost £295 delivered from Toyota Parts Direct. I have attached the official fitting instructions to this message. These are applicable for the Yaris and Yaris Cross. Fitting the jack in its cubby hole took a bit to work out but all the infrastructure was there making me think that this is fitted as standard in some markets. 

Yaris-Cross_Spare_Tyre_XXXX_AIM.pdf

• Like 5

Thats useful as a bargaining point with any dealer but I dont see that it actually includes the spare wheel

What I am being charged for includes the spare wheel

It did include the spare wheel and all the tools to fit it. 

I have to add that the company is currently advertising this for the Yaris Cross but not the current Yaris itself so there maybe some differences. Caveat Emptor as they say!

2 hours ago, Johnold said:

Hi

John

Spare wheel kit maybe it still depends on model its also not included just to help with emisions /mpg & af course its weight & cost factors.

20 hours ago, ChrisJohn said:

Sticking with the subject change, and no doubt someone will move this post elsewhere, I recently bought a space saver spare kit for our Yaris Cross. It cost £295 delivered from Toyota Parts Direct. I have attached the official fitting instructions to this message. These are applicable for the Yaris and Yaris Cross. Fitting the jack in its cubby hole took a bit to work out but all the infrastructure was there making me think that this is fitted as standard in some markets. 

Yaris-Cross_Spare_Tyre_XXXX_AIM.pdf 395.87 kB · 6 downloads

I concur with your comments. I got mine from Toyota Parts direct for my Yaris Cross and it was worth it to get the full kit. The most difficult bit of fitting it was deciding which way up the jack moulding went and hooking the rubber band.

Definitely better than buying a generic kit and ending up with the jack/tools rattling about in the hatch. 

• Like 3

Yes, I agree. I spent quite  bit of time studying the drawings in the downloaded instructions but still felt quite pleased with myself when it all fitted in.  When you look at the finished arrangement it seems obvious but it isn't when you are trying to work out what goes where!

• Like 4

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone on the forum who have had either of the two batteries in the YC Petrol Hybrid changed and or upgraded ?

I have twice had the standard Battery trickle charged overnight and tested by my Toyota dealer and it has passed all the tests. I now carry a NOCO Battery starter pack. I have now got used to sitting with the a/c off and the engine at "ready" whenever stationary for any time.

1 hour ago, ChrisJohn said:

I now carry a NOCO battery starter pack. I have now got used to sitting with the a/c off and the engine at "ready" whenever stationary for any time.

I get the "Ready" part but why switch the A/C off 

Although I understand that the A/C is powered from the Hybrid Battery I get the feeling, rightly or wrongly that the 12v Battery charges up more quickly if the A/C is not on. Certainly the petrol engine cuts in less often if you keep it off. Just a gut feeling from my own experience, not science based.

• Like 3

I'm into the habit of turning the AC and Infotainment system off, if for example I'm sitting waiting on someone.  But it would be nice to listen to "some" music😄

Are we saying if I was sitting waiting on someone on a dark rainy cold night, with the heater on, radio on and lights on, but in READY mode, it wouldn't cope ?

• Like 1

I’ve been monitoring the state of my 12 volt Battery for about a month now while driving as I now do regular short journeys (less than 10 minutes), I can say for certain that having the AC on does not affect the charging. As soon as the lights come on the Battery will start charging on every occasion. I can’t comment on the radio as I always have it on.

If I have a fully charged Battery after an initial 2-3 minute charge for the ignition start the 12 volt battery goes back to an idle state.

• Like 2

To be honest, if in the example I have given, if the petrol engine kicks in 100 times whilst in READY mode, I don't care, I just want to know if it will be ok.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

To be honest, if in the example I have given, if the petrol engine kicks in 100 times whilst in READY mode, I don't care, I just want to know if it will be ok.

When my car was in for service they gave me a hybrid i drove to a supermarket and sat in the car in ready mode while the wife did some shopping  i had the air-con and radio on and when the Battery got to approx 1/4 the ICE kicked in boosted the Battery then shut down again very quiet and seamless.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Yaris_Cross said:

When my car was in for service they gave me a hybrid i drove to a supermarket and sat in the car in ready mode while the wife did some shopping  i had the air-con and radio on and when the battery got to approx 1/4 the ICE kicked in boosted the battery then shut down again very quiet and seamless.

Sounds normal to me

2 hours ago, 152bobby said:

I'm into the habit of turning the AC and Infotainment system off, if for example I'm sitting waiting on someone.  But it would be nice to listen to "some" music😄

Are we saying if I was sitting waiting on someone on a dark rainy cold night, with the heater on, radio on and lights on, but in READY mode, it wouldn't cope ?

I still would like some feedback on my vital question 😄

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

It does cope. I often sit in the rain listening to music with ac or heater on.

the ice recharges the battery… yeah.. no drama

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ChrisJohn said:

I get the feeling, rightly or wrongly that the 12v battery charges up more quickly if the A/C is not on

A/C is powered from the HV Battery. 12v Battery is charged from the DC/DC converter powered by the HV Battery. So the charging speed of the 12V is independent on the power consumption from the HV battery (which indeed consumes enough power to force the ICE to start up once in a while).

Once the DC/DC is started (and that's what happens when the Ready indicator is lit) the battery is recharged. If you'd like to check how much of an impact some element has on the charging, check the voltage. Higher voltage means also higher current flow. Cig plug voltmeter is enough to determine if turning the radio or lights or whatever else has an impact on the 12V battery charging process 🙂

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hind said:

A/C is powered from the HV battery. 12v battery is charged from the DC/DC converter powered by the HV battery. So the charging speed of the 12V is independent on the power consumption from the HV battery (which indeed consumes enough power to force the ICE to start up once in a while).

Once the DC/DC is started (and that's what happens when the Ready indicator is lit) the battery is recharged. If you'd like to check how much of an impact some element has on the charging, check the voltage. Higher voltage means also higher current flow. Cig plug voltmeter is enough to determine if turning the radio or lights or whatever else has an impact on the 12V battery charging process 🙂

20 minutes ago, hind said:

A/C is powered from the HV battery. 12v battery is charged from the DC/DC converter powered by the HV battery. So the charging speed of the 12V is independent on the power consumption from the HV battery (which indeed consumes enough power to force the ICE to start up once in a while).

Thanks, that's helpful. I do have a voltmeter plugged into the 12v socket. That became an essential bit of kit once I realised that these hybrid cars tend to have inadequate secondary batteries. It seems to only take a couple of short runs before this voltage drops well below 12v.  Once it is below 11v I know I might have starting problems. When charging it usually sits above 14v.

• Like 1

A beautiful sunny day for swimming, sunbathing and recharging the 12V car Battery 😄

Note - if you place the solar panel outside the vehicle, charging will be better.

Mutlu car Battery replaced with Varta approx. 3 months ago.

image.thumb.png.64408e6fc6632859f3b8c7f2e9febd40.png image.thumb.png.4a3038a9833667dee681d8eef0a2f27b.png

image.thumb.png.7a5c74ae794dadeffff498d2597868c6.png

• Like 3

I'm hoping to connect a trickle charger to the OBD but cannot find an adaptor with an OBD connection on one end and an SAE connection on the other. How do others manage to connect their solar powered tc to their car? The charger itself doesn't come with the one connection I can use. Help!

• Like 1

AA solar chargers come with an OBD connector and Ring offer one as an extra with their panels.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 152bobby said:

Obviously if you need to stay in the car your comfort is more important than the Battery recharging speed.

A/C compressor is powered by HV Battery but internal fans are powered by low voltage circuit.  

DC/DC powers low voltage circuit so a part of the generated current goes to the Battery and a part is used by low voltage components ( lights, radio, A/C fans... ).   Reducing the extra consunption you help 12V battery to recharge faster.  

So if you don't need to stay in the car, it's better to turn off as many low voltage components as possible.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links