Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

scar

2 hours ago, Helen L said:

I'm hoping to connect a trickle charger to the OBD but cannot find an adaptor with an OBD connection on one end and an SAE connection on the other. How do others manage to connect their solar powered tc to their car? The charger itself doesn't come with the one connection I can use. Help!

https://optimate1.com/product/cbleo-37/

https://www.amazon.com/Tecmate-Optimate-Cable-Adapter-OBDII/dp/B00Y38WRSI

https://www.willgen.co.uk/optimate-o37-odbii-sae-adapter

• Like 2

Thanks so much Dala

I collected my new Yaris Cross last week.  After reading this thread I rang my dealer today and he confirmed that the 24 model has an upgraded 12V Battery.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff43 said:

I collected my new Yaris Cross last week.  After reading this thread I rang my dealer today and he confirmed that the 24 model has an upgraded 12V battery.

I know it's a pain....could you post a photo of it, I'm interested in the specifications please 👍 No worries if not.  Or a photo of the Battery specifications that may be listed in the Owners Manual ?

2 hours ago, Jeff43 said:

I collected my new Yaris Cross last week.  After reading this thread I rang my dealer today and he confirmed that the 24 model has an upgraded 12V battery.

Hmm.. I’m pretty sure it’s the same as those fitted to pre 2024 models

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff43 said:

... the 24 model has an upgraded 12V battery... 

Upgrading the Battery won't help. Only disconnect the spyware 🙂 Best to be aware of this problem and recharge the car Battery regularly.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dala said:

Upgrading the battery won't help. Only disconnect the spyware 🙂 Best to be aware of this problem and recharge the car battery regularly.

But surely a (for example) a 50 Ah Battery is better than a 40 Ah Battery, or am I assuming correctly that I'm talking rubbish 😄

• Like 1

For long parking only. Regular rides and smart charging for a bigger Battery won't help.

• Like 1

Which spyware should I disable?  I've bought the AA solar charger and it's charging now just to give it a go really as it's been starting fine so far.  I'm using the power outlet (ciggy lighter as it used to be called) but I've heard that the diagnostic port will charge faster so I'll have a look for that tomorrow - under the steering wheel I believe.

• Like 1

@Jeff43The cigarette lighter is switched off after you switch off the car, so no good using that socket for charging. The OBD port is the way to go

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jeff43 said:

I'm using the power outlet (ciggy lighter as it used to be called) but I've heard that the diagnostic port will charge faster so I'll have a look for that tomorrow - under the steering wheel I believe.

You are aware that the power outlet is not active when the car is off? (ie. You can't charge the Battery through it) 

Ah yes, of course, I'd forgotten that.  Will it be dead to incoming charge too though? Anyway,  I'll pop outside later and find the OBD port ready for tomorrow's sunny heatwave!  

1 minute ago, Jeff43 said:

Ah yes, of course, I'd forgotten that.  Will it be dead to incoming charge too though? Anyway,  I'll pop outside later and find the OBD port ready for tomorrow's sunny heatwave!  

It's a dead parrot! (disconnected) 😉

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dala said:

That's the one that connects to the Battery under the rear seat, with the other end just sticking out for a easy charge ?  

1 hour ago, 152bobby said:

That's the one that connects to the battery under the rear seat, with the other end just sticking out for a easy charge ?  

Yes

18 minutes ago, Dala said:

Yes

Do you use that for a trickle charger and a jumper pack ?

5 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

Do you use that for a trickle charger and a jumper pack ?

Only for charging. No for jumper pack. 

• Thanks 1

I thought I'd have a go at using the AA charger on my wife's 2020 Nissan Micra just to practise using the OBD option before topping up my Yaris.  Fell at the first hurdle - where is the OBD port on the Micra?? I can't see it in all the usual places and the handbook doesn't mention one. 

• Haha 1

Don't laugh!  Where is the OBD port on my new Yaris Cross?

1 minute ago, Jeff43 said:

Don't laugh!  Where is the OBD port on my new Yaris Cross?

More or less in line with your right knee under the dash

• Like 1

Any recommendations for a device that will plug into the power outlet (ciggy lighter) to show the Battery voltage?  I'm keen to keep an eye on this for obvious reasons.  I've seen several on YT and the web but I'm sure that you guys are the ones to ask.

Only problem being, that because the cigarette lighter is only active when the car is powered on, you'll only ever see the voltage while the 12V Battery is being charged i.e. 14V. If you try to overcome this by switching to ACC mode there will be drain on the Battery by the ECU's which will lower the displayed voltage.
You either want to get something which plugs into the OBD socket to see voltage when the car is powered off (in order to see whether the Battery is holding in excess of 12V (ideally more than 12.3V)), or, as I do, use a BM6 bluetooth device (permanently attached to the battery) which I can monitor remotely (up to 12ft from the car), and which continuously captures and stores voltage readings for you to view when you interrogate with your phone. These cost around £25 from Ama*on.

• Like 2

I keep forgetting that the lighter is off when the car is off! I've attached a solar charger to the OBD port today so I might as well do the same for measuring the voltage.  Any recommendations?  Thank you very much for replying, by the way - I'm a bit new to all of this.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links