Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

scar

10 hours ago, Dala said:

same time, same route, 1 day difference

Checked mine yesterday out of curiosity. Driven daily with a longer trip during the weekend. It's keeping solid 11.6V after one day of being parked 😎 started without problem.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

I do wonder how my dealer's getting on with that - When my neighbour was working for them he would often grouse that nobody charged the cars and it always fell to him to plug them into trickle chargers. Now he's not there I suspect they will have a lot of flat batteries on waiting cars!

I was in my local dealers having the Dashcam fitted (it hadn't turned up before I first collected my new car) and the Premiere model had a Battery charger hooked up. The batteries must take a battering with prospective customers going in and out all the time and they don't disable the interior lights. 

When I got mine, as I was talking to the seller about the issue with the 12v Battery, he said that the cars that was parked there, the most tricky ones was the ones with the electric back door. Those were the ones that they have to "keep charged" because of the constant open/close when showing to customers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hind said:

Checked mine yesterday out of curiosity. Driven daily with a longer trip during the weekend. It's keeping solid 11.6V after one day of being parked 😎 started without problem.

Lucky it started !! 11.6V is unhealthily low 

• Like 2

Yeah it's almost 1.5 year old and I'm waiting for it to die. Hopefully sooner than the warranty expires 😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flamarro said:

When I got mine, as I was talking to the seller about the issue with the 12v battery, he said that the cars that was parked there, the most tricky ones was the ones with the electric back door. Those were the ones that they have to "keep charged" because of the constant open/close when showing to customers.

Reckon that's the killer with mine. Must be a significant drain on the small Battery.

• Like 1

I started a thread about my problems with the 12v Battery 'Battery mysteriously losing charge & car won't start">12 volt Battery mysteriously losing charge & car won't start'. I posted a comment after our 12v battery was replaced under warranty by the dealer on Tuesday 30th July. So far (touch wood) the battery is holding its charge. I'll keep monitoring it daily until I'm certain that there is no overnight drain on the battery.

• Like 2

duplicates others

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a new Yaris Excel. Nervous about this 12 volt flat Battery issue. Does anyone know if new models still have this charging issue?

Has the 12 volt Battery been upgraded?

• Like 1

New Battery, nothing to worry about.  Just be aware Hybrids are different and follow the suggestions on how to cope with the difference as detailed on here (which I'm sure you've read)

• Like 1

Thanks for your reassurance. I have taken onboard much helpful advice from this topic. We’re looking forward to our first hybrid car, but bit anxious as we do mostly local driving around Cardiff. Will be checking the voltage with the plug in device into the lighter socket!

• Like 1

Be aware that the lighter socket is dead when the car is switched off, and will show a reading of 14V as soon as you put the car into Ready mode. 
Ideally, you want to plug something into the OBD socket (diagnostic socket beneath dash) to measure voltage, or get yourself a BM6 (bluetooth monitor attached to Battery terminals) which tracks voltage and displays on your nearby Mobile

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Harley Jones said:

Thanks for your reassurance. I have taken onboard much helpful advice from this topic. We’re looking forward to our first hybrid car, but bit anxious as we do mostly local driving around Cardiff. Will be checking the voltage with the plug in device into the lighter socket!

You are going to love it, I'm sure.  It's a bit different to your last car, but once used to it, it will become a favourite - it did for me.

Put it in READY mode twice a week for 30 minutes each and that will keep the 12v Battery charged, if you are not doing a lot of miles in one go.  My Yaris is a second car and often goes a few days without going out and then does a couple of breakfast runs of 5 miles and a 20 mile round trip for shopping and its been fine.  Do not leave the car unattended as the engine may start to keep the main Battery topped up - just saying, as you don't want to be inside watching the TV with the key in the ignition on the drive 🤣

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Harley Jones said:

Ordered a new Yaris Excel. Nervous about this 12 volt flat battery issue. Does anyone know if new models still have this charging issue?

Has the 12 volt battery been upgraded?

See my post in hybrid charging below.

I have a Yaris Hybrid 2021 model. Recently had 12v Battery problem. Halfords managed to flatten it when UNsuccessfully trying to fit Dash cameras. As I had not experienced this before (on a hybrid), had to phone local Toyota to explain what I was getting on dashboard. .... Dare I say this was a little fortuitous ?  Because last week I had same thing on dash, so knew what was wrong. The car had on the Monday, done a 80 mile run, parked in garage, Thursday, 7am Flat Battery. stuck it on trickle charge for two days. Using the couplings in the fuse box.

Now I'm worried it could happen If we go out for the day ?

• Sad 2

You have a couple of options replace the Battery for peace of mind  (this may not be necessary) 

Buy a booster pack as many members have and keep it fully charged in the car (not boot) 

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/jump-starters/noco-gb20-500a-jump-starter-721880.html

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Yaris_Cross said:

You have a couple of options replace the battery for peace of mind  (this may not be necessary) 

Buy a booster pack as many members have and keep it fully charged in the car (not boot) 

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/jump-starters/noco-gb20-500a-jump-starter-721880.html

Noco GB 20 is perfect for the job.......I keep mine in the glove box. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chas G said:

Noco GB 20 is perfect for the job.......I keep mine in the glove box. 

That's the one i will buy when i get my Cross it seems to be popular with members.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yaris_Cross said:

keep it fully charged in the car (not boot) 

I'm assuming you can't get the boot open then if the Battery is flat, right..?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BlueMike1972 said:

I'm assuming you can't get the boot open then if the battery is flat, right..?

The worry is that you won't be able to open the tailgate if the 12V Battery is flat as it is unlocked electrically. I keep my NOCO in the boot, albeit not under the floor, that way all I'll have to do is drop a back seat and reach in. 

• Like 3

Got it! I just hadn't thought about it. Thank you!

First post from a lurker - be gentle.

Yaris Cross Design collected new May 23.  I read on here about the 12v Battery issues/concerns before buying the car.  As it turned out i’ve had no problems with the 12v Battery, or anything else. I did about 10k miles in year one, about 75% being round trips of over 20 miles, the rest just short local stuff. The car is used probably two days out of three but has been unused for three days or so a few times.  After reading this thread before purchasing I initially decided to buy a small boost charger but never got around to it!  I have never used ‘accessory mode’, I do leave it in ready if waiting in the car to keep the a/c or heater running. I rarely, if ever, listen to radio/music while driving…

I’m enjoying the car, its nice to drive, has been 100% reliable including the 12v Battery (touches own wooden head) and the fuel economy is currently showing over 74mpg - I have never reset the trip!

Would I buy another - absolutely…

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, OldGreyDog said:

while driving

For the Battery it really doesn't matter at all 🙂 you can run the car refrigerator and charge a laptop, but do that while in Ready mode so the power is delivered from the HV traction Battery through the converter and the 12v Battery is charged too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Quick question, I’ve skimmed this thread but as it’s 113 pages long I’ve probably missed it! I have campervan with solar etc and keeping an eye on power (electrical) usage/management is second nature.

What type is the Battery?

what size is the Battery in aH?

do the latest 2024 cars have an improve auxiliary Battery, (I have a YCP 130 coming mid sept) 

im presuming/hope having a 2 week holiday is going to lead to a flat battery….

TIA….

It's a Turkish make. Mutlu. 35Ah. Same Battery as used in last year's (and earlier) cars, though not sure if it has been improved in any way for 2024 spec cars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links