Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

scar

Thanks Cyker and I agree that Covid likely had a large part to play in Battery life/conditioning.

We'll see how it goes - according to Toyota, mine is in build so it might not be a long wait to see.

• Like 1

Just keep in mind that post covid cars albo suffer from this. Mine, manufactured in 2023, died after 2.5 week parking and this single incident irreversibly dropped the capacity to around 16Ah, so more or less halfed it. I blame Battery quality and not-so-smart charging algorithm

• Sad 1

Thanks, Hind, I will.

I confess that I'm fully expecting to have such issues and am already anticipating having the need for a Battery change.

Interestingly, of the numerous dealers I spoke with, only one had the balls to admit to there even being a concern. All the others said they had "never heard about it". His solution was to put it in 'ready' a couple of times a week. We'll see!

• Like 1

Personally I think that "Ready" mode charging is good option only for people who are unable to charge otherwise (because they don't have access to power socket outside or don't want to do any scary stuff like plugging in the charger into dedicated connector).

Using decent charger like CTEK is much better solution because you don't have to keep the car turned on and often unsupervised. I also believe that CTEK does it's job better than internal DC/DC charger. It's also cheaper in terms of energy price (electricity in HV Battery still comes from burning fuel). Charging to full once in a while is generally a good practice which prolongs the Battery life. I did that for every can I owned, at least once a year (usually before winter). It seems that I should have done that after getting my car from the dealership as well. Maybe if I did this before leaving for the vacation, the Battery would survive? Still that's something you do not expect from the brand new car.

• Like 2

On offer at Lidl Sunday 22nd if anyone interested has 3 year guarantee so worth a punt. I bought one last time on offer but not had to use yet.

IMG_0182.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hind said:

Personally I think that "Ready" mode charging is good option only for people who are unable to charge otherwise (because they don't have access to power socket outside or don't want to do any scary stuff like plugging in the charger into dedicated connector).

Using decent charger like CTEK is much better solution because you don't have to keep the car turned on and often unsupervised. I also believe that CTEK does it's job better than internal DC/DC charger. It's also cheaper in terms of energy price (electricity in HV battery still comes from burning fuel). Charging to full once in a while is generally a good practice which prolongs the battery life. I did that for every can I owned, at least once a year (usually before winter). It seems that I should have done that after getting my car from the dealership as well. Maybe if I did this before leaving for the vacation, the battery would survive? Still that's something you do not expect from the brand new car.

At the moment, I don't have the facility to use a charger so, at least for the time being, it'll be usage and 'ready' if required. I agree about the fully charging bit and it'll be something I will keep an eye on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CJA2002 said:

Personally I think that "Ready" mode charging is good option only for people who are unable to charge otherwise

I will happily sit in the supermarket car park in READY MODE while the other half does the shopping once i explain how important it is she will be happy  😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

23 minutes ago, Yaris_Cross said:

I will happily sit in the supermarket car park in READY MODE while the other half does the shopping once i explain how important it is she will be happy  😉

Maybe also explain how you can't leave the car during this process, and could she fetch a sandwich and a coffee for you while you are waiting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Maybe also explain how you can't leave the car during this process, and could she fetch a sandwich and a coffee for you while you are waiting.

I have  a feeling i would end up wearing it  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I checked out my new YCP with remote climate via the app recently. I noted it actually goes into full ready mode whilst staying locked and no one in the car.
I wondered whether this could count as a way of putting it into ready mode to keep the Battery conditioned whilst you were absent on holiday etc? You could even select it whilst sat on a beach 😂.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HarryW2024 said:

I checked out my new YCP with remote climate via the app recently. I noted it actually goes into full ready mode whilst staying locked and no one in the car.
I wondered whether this could count as a way of putting it into ready mode to keep the battery conditioned whilst you were absent on holiday etc? You could even select it whilst sat on a beach 😂.

I wonder if the remote climate warming/cooling takes more than ready mode replaces?  I would suspect that the engine won't start - engine running on a public road with no one in the car possibly illegal? 

It will use the ICE if needed, I use that feature in winter to defrost the car in the morning. You are still responsible for the car, you have to accept disclaimer every time 🙂

• Like 2

Also, don't forget the car will shutdown after 20mins of activating remote climate (possibly not long enough to have a real impact on charge level).

• Like 2

Tbh as it will kick in the ice as needed I can’t see any difference to sitting in the car and selecting ready mode to recharge the Battery as already recommended to condition the 12v. Once in ready mode it uses the dc/dc to charge the 12v Battery reguardless.  
Worth thinking about imho. 

Even better still if you select a temperature around ambient then the ac will not be such a draw too? 

I don't see a reason why wouldn't it work. I was considering this as a solution to recharge the car a little when it's standing for example on the airport parking, so no other options available to keep the Battery in good health. One would have to check if the DC/DC works exactly the same, ie. gives enough power. 20 minutes of let's say 6 amps of current going to the Battery would restore 2Ah of capacity, doing that twice a week should be enough. 

If it could be done securely, this could be a workable option, in the right circumstances.

Food for thought, maybe.....🤔

Going off on a slight tangent, has anyone ever got their Start Climate (remotely) from MyToyota to actually work??

This is all I ever get...
Screenshot_20240919-143258.thumb.png.5ce3d5e8fdb7884083c12eb3e09f4eb3.png

49 minutes ago, CPN said:

Going off on a slight tangent, has anyone ever got their Start Climate (remotely) from MyToyota to actually work??

Yes

IMG_6330.thumb.png.557132c86d4623c3fc2ce9fc24d73e33.png

• Like 1

I selected it indoors pooped out and all was running including the engine….

IMG_6328.thumb.jpeg.52228d40adf2fe5c59dcfbd20f26f7db.jpeg

• Like 1

Popped 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Slightly OT again how do you deselect that blue agreement screen every time you switch on? 

57 minutes ago, CPN said:

I note that Harry's is working fine but has anyone with a non-Cross Yaris Premiere Edition got it working at all?

6 hours ago, hind said:

I don't see a reason why wouldn't it work. I was considering this as a solution to recharge the car a little when it's standing for example on the airport parking, so no other options available to keep the battery in good health. One would have to check if the DC/DC works exactly the same, ie. gives enough power. 20 minutes of let's say 6 amps of current going to the battery would restore 2Ah of capacity, doing that twice a week should be enough. 

Yes but if ICE starts on an airport parking someone could think that your Yaris is a doughter of Stephen King's Christine 😁

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links