Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota yaris hybrid - no reversing light in cluster.

hortigirl

Hi,  Our 2020 model Toyota Yarids hybrid has no reversing lights in the lighting cluster.  Our dealer says that the only 'reversing' light provided is the big one under the bumper for the camera. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

Quite a few manufacturers provide only one reversing light - usually on the nearside or in the centre. What is the issue?

I believe the problem is probably the light output from the rear lights?

For me it was always not a problem the intensity of the reversing light, comparing the old 2006 Yaris to the new Yaris MK4 is true that the reverse light output is lower but the camera more then compensate for that, TBH when behind the car the light seems to be very visible and blinding then the one from the old one 

I think it works better in conjunction with the reverse camera - Very good illumination.

The rear view out of the Mk4 is awful anyway so even if the reverse light was higher, it wouldn't help that much I reckon,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

I think it works better in conjunction with the reverse camera - Very good illumination.

The rear view out of the Mk4 is awful anyway so even if the reverse light was higher, it wouldn't help that much I reckon,

I reckon you are about right there...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

The rear lights are to be seen with, not seeing with

They may be a visual sign that the car may reverse, but their primary purpose was to see what you were about to hit.

I fitted a small one to my car in 1966 which involved drilling a hole into the gear box.   Not difficult and it worked 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hortigirl said:

Hi,  Our 2020 model Toyota Yarids hybrid has no reversing lights in the lighting cluster.  Our dealer says that the only 'reversing' light provided is the big one under the bumper for the camera. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

Short amswer: No

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

fitted a small one to my car in 1966 which involved drilling a hole into the gear box.   Not difficult and it worked 

?

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 3:06 PM, flash22 said:

The rear lights are to be seen with, not seeing with

You have not tried reversing at night on the lane at the top of my drive! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The reversing lights on the MK3 are in the clusters and are hopess I am looking at a way of fitting something lower as the kerbs round here are so high and the recent change to led street lights that are useless means i risk damaging my near side wheels every time I park at night. 

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

The reversing lights on the MK3 are in the clusters and are hopess I am looking at a way of fitting something lower as the kerbs round here are so high and the recent change to led street lights that are useless means i risk damaging my near side wheels every time I park at night. 

I've bought bits and pieces from the stores below, always good stuff. Some ideas . . . 

Reverse Light Fittings

Classic car Parts SVC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Do you not have the camera? Mine are plenty bright for that - possibly not for my actual eyes though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Do you not have the camera? Mine are plenty bright for that - possibly not for my actual eyes though.

Yes i have a camera but its so dark on night mode its difficult to see the kerb, we only have one street light and its not near my house so its quite dark outside,

59 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The camera uses the plate lights for illumination, swap the plate bulbs for LEDs

Is that the case the number plate light is in the centre so whatever bulb you have in it its not going to shine near the near side rear wheel, i was under the impression the reversing lights were these in the picture and there are two of them.

2017-toyota-yaris-hybrid-first-drive.jpg

1 reverse the other side is rear fog, Changing the plate lights may improve the camera view at night

Reverse lights don't usually have a wide angle, as I said above they are to be seen by, not with

maybe a light under the rear of the car out of sight may help, almost like a bright puddle light

Decades ago I had a car with poor or even no reversing lights. I rigged up a changeover relay to illuminated both the rear indicators when reverse was selected. Worked a treat.

Probably illegal though (now if not then), so I'd add an 'MoT' switch to disable it at that time.

1 hour ago, MikeSh said:

Decades ago I had a car with poor or even no reversing lights. I rigged up a changeover relay to illuminated both the rear indicators when reverse was selected. Worked a treat.

Probably illegal though (now if not then), so I'd add an 'MoT' switch to disable it at that time.

I've done a similar mod on a few MX5's where I've replaced the rear indicator bulbs with yellow/white "switchback" bulbs, giving yellow when used as indicators and white when reverse selected.  Have done the same at the front as well, giving yellow as indicators and white as DRL's.  However, it's not possible on a lot of new cars as the rear lights are often sealed LED units.

SWITCHBACK LED BULBS

Max_Headroom - does the Mk3 have separate indicator bulbs in the rear light units?  I've looked at your posted image but it's a bit too small to make out if it's a bulb or built-in LED.  If it's a bulb, then switchback bulbs may be an answer to your problem.  I can type up what I did for the MX5's if that would help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

i was under the impression the reversing lights were these in the picture and there are two of them.

Not on mine. This is with reverse engaged:

image.thumb.jpeg.96b792d17b4b6a3aa615981501910b40.jpeg

This is with rear fog on:

image.thumb.jpeg.603d4259df096947431ecef61477dbf4.jpeg

Looks like the left red fog isn't used (maybe it's the same unit but LHD uses the left and not the right).

• Like 1

I will have to check again i was sure both sides worked on mine.

It looks like you have LED's i dont.

15 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

It looks like you have LED's i dont.

Side, brake and fog are LED I think. The reversing lights have bulbs in. I think the indicators do too.

My mistake, been talking to someone with a JDM Vitz that has a very different lighting config (non led)

even with 2 reverse lights, the reflectors focus the light to a point not downwards

iirc they use 582 bulbs (W21W) or 921 (W16W)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this on wish.com so thought, for the money, I would buy one and see if it will help.  I definitely have trouble reversing in a dark area, especially as the camera is often covered in gunk thrown up from the road.  I try and remember to wipe the camera before each journey, but if it's been raining, it's gunked up just when I need it!

Anyone else think the "fish eye" effect of the camera is off-putting?

Bright Light - Reversing on wish . com

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 15.25.19.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links