Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Statins

Hybrid21

Just had my annual review done and my cholesterol is on the high side.

GP is recommending Statins to bring it down. Anyone have experience of taking Statins ? 

Your comments and thoughts appreciated 👍

• Like 5

Been taking them for years with no problems, although I have read reports of people having side effects of which you can get with any medication.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Iain, Did the doctor offer advice on whether a change to your diet along with exercise and weight loss would be the first thing to look at to see if these changes would help to bring your cholesterol down before taking statins.

If the increase in cholesterol was caused by other health issues then it is more then likely you will be taking them for the foreseeable future. Many people are prescribed statins but do not look into alternatives or lifestyle changes which in many cases can bring the levels down very effectively.

Some foods positively impact cholesterol levels. These include:

Foods high in soluble fiber and plant phytosterols, such as legumes, avocados, broccoli and other fruits and vegetables

Whole grains, including oatmeal, quinoa and barley

Omega3-rich foods, such as fatty fish like salmon and tuna, as well as nuts like walnuts and almonds

Soy products like soy milk, tofu and edamame

There are a variety of other foods and herbs that may help to lower cholesterol.. They are

Garlic

Turmeric

Ginger

Rosemary

Regarding long term use my wife has been on statins for many years but this is due to non alcoholic fatty liver disease where her cholesterol level needs to be maintained at a low level. One size doesn't fit all with statins as people do suffer from side affects as with all medication but it's always best to look at none medical alternatives to try where possible.😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Iain,  do you know what they call high side?

I was called in by my GP 10 years or so ago.  I duly reported but saw a different GP.  He asked why I was there.  I said because I had been told to and suspected  it was for cholesterol. 

He looked at the figures and said he didn't see a problem. 

Looking at my med notes from decades earlier by level was 5.6.  For Christmas I got a smart watch.  My cholesterol is between 5.8 and 6.8 and varies throughout the day. 

The watch also measures blood pressure which is around 124/78 and just touching pre-hypertension levels.  

I am 81 and not on statins or other meds.   Before you accept statins have a look at your figures against norms. 

Statins for the over 40s is Government policy and GPs get paid for each prescription.   Go figure.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bper said:

Foods high in soluble fiber and plant phytosterols, such as legumes, avocados, broccoli and other fruits and vegetables. 

Whole grains, including oatmeal, and barley

Omega3-rich foods, such as fatty fish like salmon and tuna, as well as nuts like walnuts and almonds

There are a variety of other foods and herbs that may help to

Garlic

Turmeric

Ginger

Rosemary

I have edited the list to what I have.

Breakfast is about 30g of granola,  raspberries, blueberries,  melon and banana. 

The dog also has melon and turnip and we both have a hours walk.

Salmon, bream, haddock and chicken predominate over bacon,  beef or lamb.

I usually have a small glass of fermented grape juice per day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have taken statins for years.

For several years suffered from neuropathy. Nobody, not the local gp nor the neurologist, ever thought or talked about the possible connection with statins..

Neuropathy started with my toes being unsensitive. Later, my feet felt like wooden boxes.

After that, this feeling rose to my knees and even up to my hips. I was hesitating to walk.

My own reading and investigation into it said that statines sometimes cause complaints like this.

I agreed with my GP to stop taking the statins. After a few months I felt significantly better. Now, after 6 months, the problems are back to like it was in the beginning. Just the toes being insensitive. 

Nerve damage has been established and diagnosed for sure and normally this is irreversible.  Curious now to what point of 'feeling better' I can still get.

Cholesterol was bad after all this. Way up..   I started taking ezitimibe but that doesn't work as well at all as statins.

So I am back at an other brand of statins in a lighter dose (brand known for less side effects) + ezitimib now. See what the result is in cholesterol levels and side effects.

I also had painful stinging* and cramping muscles during the night. This is a very common side effect. My mom takes the same statins and has this side effect too.

*It's like they put a knife in your foot or leg.

My general opinion about statins is that, although the side effects are a pain in the but, they do a lot of good.

My cholesterol was perfect when I took them and that makes a good chance on a longer life and less chance on heart attacks.  Even though the neuropathy, like it was at the worst, is not something I can live with, I would still doubt to reduce or eliminate statines as this possibly reduces my amount of years I can still live.

One young doctor told me cholesterol is only for 10 % (!!!) Influenceable by the foods one eats. The other 90 percent, you can't change it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

For Christmas I got a smart watch.  My cholesterol is between 5.8 and 6.8 and varies throughout the day. 

I’d be interested to know how a watch can measure ‘lipids’ (which is what cholesterol is) when it normally requires a blood test.

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

The watch also measures blood pressure which is around 124/78 and just touching pre-hypertension levels.  

Again, it’s advised that only measurements using an arm cuff are fully accurate. Those taken using wrists (which your watch effectively is) are much less accurate.  Have you tried ‘calibrating’ your watch against a pharmacy or practice blood pressure machine ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Anyone have experience of taking Statins ?

Contrary to other posters experiences, my cholesterol (about 15 years ago) was 5.5 and my GP didn’t put me on either statins or BP medication.

Some years later I suffered a severe angina attack, ‘rushed’ to our nearest Cardiac specialty unit where a coronary stent was inserted.  On discharge I was prescribed a Statin which I have taken ever since, although gradually reduced level by GP.

I also attended a cardiac review clinic for exercise and diet advice which I have followed ever since (skimmed milk, (good)fatty fish, cut down on red meat and all fatty foods etc.)

I have an annual review and my current level for ‘bad’ cholesterol is 3.5.

As others have said I suspected’ that some aches and pains were statin related and GP suggested I stop for a month if I was concerned.  Result was my cholesterol went back to 5.5 and no changes to ‘aches and pains’.

It’s a fallacy that GPs “get paid for each Statin prescription “.

What they actually get paid for is carrying out annual reviews to help reduce the incidences of further heart problems amongst their patients.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have both a wrist and upper arm BP meters and they always read the same. I also take it to the diabetic clinic and check it every year and they both tally with theirs.

I have taken Statins for years of various different kinds. Quite a few make my legs ache like hell but since 2018 when I had a heart attack I have taken 80mg Atorvastatin (maximum recommended dose) and as far as I can tell they have no side effects with me. Last test on the 16th of December my cholesterol was 3.1.

I hate taking pills.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've taken a statin for years - originally Simvastatin, and later Rosuvastatin as that is more effective. 10mg.

No apparent side effects to either.

Taking them at night is best.

A couple of UK websites for more information:

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/treatments/

https://www.heartuk.org.uk/getting-treatment/statins (check the Q&A section as well)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

A couple of UK websites for more information:

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/treatments/

Just to add, I would certainly recommend subscribing to “Heart matters” magazine, published free by BHF which contains lots of useful information about both prescription treatments and healthy eating recommendations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies and info guys, appreciated.

My cholesterol level has always tended to be on the higher level, it was 6.4 around 40 years ago when my company BT put me through medical tests.

Since then it has varied between 5.4 and 7.3. It is currently 7,  with LDL of 4.

Obviously the LDL is too high and raising the overall cholesterol levels. I don't know if I can reduce the LDL enough through diet and exercise, etc,  and I think this is why my GP is pushing the Statin prescription.

• Like 2

Some years ago I was put on Statins because I was border line for diabetes.  My wife had just been put on Statins, then she had muscle loss in one of her legs, so she stopped taking them.  At the same time, I also decided to stop taking them.

This is how things remained until, about three years ago, I had vascular surgery on my right leg.  In the process I was again put on statins, and to date with no side effects - as far as I am aware.

I used to be a light smoker, except for a short period of depression, when I did smoke heavily but managed to shake myself out of it (stubborn streak, I suppose).  I am now 88, and a non-smoker for over 50 years.  I eat fairly healthily, but have a sweet tooth and sometimes give in to temptation.  I normally share 3 bottles of wine a week with my wife, and I usually have a tot of whisky while I read for about an hour before going to bed.

I don’t listen to diet advice because everyone is different in our metabolic make up.  When people hear of my age they say I don’t look it, so I must be doing something right.        Hey! Why change now? 😃

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Graham, I quite agree and the package does caution that it is not a substitute for proper medical monitoring.  How it works I know not.

Where we have checked, BP, pulse,  SpO2, it has been accurate to a comparable degree.  The Cholesterol measure we can't of course check at home.  It suggests a normal range for fasting, early morning, preprandial, postprandial and bedtime.

I have set mine to record every hour.  The actual values are not that important.   What is relevant is the profile.   Mine from noon started at 7.0 with a steady decline to 5.6 followed by a rapid uptick to 6.2 after tea and a quarter hour later 6.7.

The bounds suggested 'using this watch' are 4.4 to 6.1 fasting, 7.0 ordinary and 8.0 immediately after a meal.  

I would suggest that excursions beyond these are cause for concern and ideally you should compare with a bloodiest at the same time.

• Like 3

As an aside, my wife was a practice nurse and told to give this old couple some dietary advice.

She asked what they did.  They got up between 5 and 6, had some fat ham and tea and did some work in the garden.  About 8 they had breakfast,  fat ham.  Dinner about 12 with fat ham and tea at 4, you guessed it.  Supper was at 8, same again before bed.

They were in their 80s.  She said carry on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My old grandmother, born in the 1880s,lived for 90 years,got a bit annoyed with one of the breeding cockerels after it drew blood on her face with its natural spurs.

It finished up a couple of days later, plucked and cooked.

Accompanied by fresh vegetables,all home grown.

She knew what a good diet was intuitively I think.

Re statins the first one I was taking did cause a bit of bone ache at night , but got that changed to rosuvastatin, with no side effect that I am aware of.

As it was explained to me, the purpose of prescribing them was to prevent the liver producing excess cholesterol, and clogging my arteries.

Still have had 4 stents though.

Hopefully, you will have no problems with yours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As kids, I think we got the best start because, due to WW2, rationing kept us limited to non-fatty foods.  Lucky for us, my gran began her career in the kitchens of a stately home, so her culinary skills were first class.  My favourite was rabbit stew with dumplings - wild rabbit, freshly caught, from the local butcher.  And she could do wonders with meat and potato pie, using the scrap ends she also got from the butcher.

I was still only about 9 stones in weight when I finished my apprenticeship.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

As kids, I think we got the best start because, due to WW2, rationing kept us limited to non-fatty foods.  Lucky for us, my gran began her career in the kitchens of a stately home, so her culinary skills were first class.  My favourite was rabbit stew with dumplings - wild rabbit, freshly caught, from the local butcher.  And she could do wonders with meat and potato pie, using the scrap ends she also got from the butcher.

I was still only about 9 stones in weight when I finished my apprenticeship.

I loved baked rabbit when I was a kid but haven't had it since then. I don't know how easy it is to still get now. :smile:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bper said:

loved baked rabbit when I was a kid but haven't had it since then. I don't know how easy it is to still get now. :smile:

As I said to my daughter after she had just watched watership down , you've seen the film, you've read the book, try the pie.

She was not impressed 😞.

Get a ferret Bob, and some nets.

Then you can have as many rabbits as you want.

A ferret friend, and no ultra processed food, what's not to like?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Bper said:

I loved baked rabbit when I was a kid but haven't had it since then. I don't know how easy it is to still get now. :smile:

Difficult.   Lots of new burrows this year 2023 and on places not seen in previous years.  Sadly I have also seen two with Mixxy and that tends to put you of wild rabbit.

Only seen one hare this season bit two foxes.  Question of supply and demand I expect. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Get a ferret Bob, and some nets.

Then you can have as many rabbits as you want.

A ferret friend, and no ultra processed food, what's not to like?

Be careful:

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Difficult.   Lots of new burrows this year 2023 and on places not seen in previous years.  Sadly I have also seen two with Mixxy and that tends to put you of wild rabbit.

Only seen one hare this season bit two foxes.  Question of supply and demand I expect. 

Hi Roy, I haven't seen hare for about 30 years, I'm bald now.:smile:

• Haha 6

Seeing hares here more often lately. Rabbits are held industrially and sometimes for sale in lidl for bargain prices.

Tried to prepare one some years ago. Either the meat was not tender enough.. either I am not a good cook. It was rubbish to eat.

I remember some people caught the wild ones by shining bright lights on them and trying to hit them with the car as they were kind of frozen by the lights. But it also happened they hit other things than the rabbit cause they were too focused on their task too much.

Ermmmm...  they sometimes got big rats this way too and they were also eaten. :biggrin:

• Haha 3

Ivan, in UK it is illegal to kill deer or hare with your car and then take the kill home.  However it is not illegal for the car behind you to pick it up and take it home.

• Like 2

Years ago, around 1958, a colleague found five baby rabbits in a burrow, and apparently either abandoned or orphaned.  I took them home, made a hutch, and kept them in the garden.  They grew fairly quickly and, after a few weeks, I decided they were ready to be released.  I took them to some woods out in the countryside, and let them go.  But one just stayed by my side and I had to shoo it away.

Can’t understand why anyone would want to run down rabbits, or any other wildlife come to that.   I have braked for pheasant, foxes, mutjak deer, hedgehogs and badgers.  And once for a field mouse, leading her young in line across a road - the only comment i got on that occasion was how the heck did I spot them, their being so tiny?

The only unpleasant meeting I’ve had with an animal was in Cornwall when, passing a farmyard, a cow had bolted after giving birth.  It slewed between my car and the verge and, in doing so, the afterbirth trailing from its rear end slapped across my windscreen. It was a hot day, and by the time I had stopped in a safe place it was already drying on the windscreen.  Cleaning it up was not a pleasant experience!!!

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links