Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo versus Aygo Cross running costs

NeedANewerCar

I am needing soon to replace my 17 yo Citroen C1 and have had my eye and mind on an Aygo.  I've talked to people I meet who owns them, and they all speak highly of them.  I've never heard a bad word said against them.  However, I've also seen the Aygo X.  Are these both similar in costs to run or is the X more expensive?  The tyres look huge also.  

55 minutes ago, NeedANewerCar said:

I am needing soon to replace my 17 yo Citroen C1 and have had my eye and mind on an Aygo.  I've talked to people I meet who owns them, and they all speak highly of them.  I've never heard a bad word said against them.  However, I've also seen the Aygo X.  Are these both similar in costs to run or is the X more expensive?  The tyres look huge also.  

I have a service plan with Toyota and in my opinion, they are value for money, its a fixed cost over 3 services over 3 years and will not increase and I just pay by direct debit and forget about it and its nice to collect the car on the day and pay nothing....even though I HAVE already paid ! 

The 18" tyres are not a common size "yet" and you'll not find them on a tyre shop shelf if you get caught short, hence me having the proper space saver fitted.

My daughter has the MK 2 Aygo and it's totally reliable and cheap to run.  This will  be out of the 10 warranty period this year with toyota after its next service with them, so I'll have ro decide whether it will still be worth getting it serviced at Toyota or a independent garage, but saying that, when I have looked at cost comparisons between Toyota and a independent garage, there was not much difference for such a small car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I take it your Citroen C1 is a Mk1 version, so the good news is the Mk2 (2014-2022) is a big improvement on Mk1. We have a Mk1 Peugeot 107 and Mk2 Peugeot 108, both with the Toyota 1.0 engine and the Mk2 108 is better built and quality than our 107. Also the water leak issues that plagued the Mk1s are a lot rarer on the Mk2, which is another plus. Saying that a lot of the problems and niggles of the Mk1 are sorted in the Mk2 so make it a nicer car to drive and live with.

You should be safe with a Mk2 Aygo as they all had the Toyota 1.0 engine, beware that some Mk2 Citroen C1s and Peugeot 108s had the PSA 1.2 engine, which had issues, but I made sure we got a toyota engined Peugeot 108. Our Mk2 108 has been very reliable and cheap to run.

Can't comment on the new Aygo X, cos both our Mk1 and Mk2 toyota engined cars are still very reliable and cheap to run no need to change just yet, but based on our Mk1 and Mk2 cars it will deffo be a candidate in the future. Sure you will, but hopefully a dealer will have both in and you can compare, but as you say the much bigger tyres/cost is a standout on the Aygo X, which goes against the grain of its value based predecessors, our Mk2 has 15 inch wheels/tyres. Anyway, good luck and happy hunting. 

I've gone through the years having a mk1, two mk2s, and now the Aygo X mk3. I'm finding the Aygo X is very good on petrol usage and the mpg is much higher. This is an automatic CVT, so the manual will be much better.

• Like 1

The AygoX is the SUV-ified version of the Aygo, and replaces the Aygo (You can't buy new normal Aygos any more in the UK).

It's a fair bit larger, esp. in height. It has an improved gearbox, esp. the automatic, but is no longer pitched as a budget city car, as it was in its original brief, but is now aimed at a more premium (read expensive) market segment.

• Like 2

Biggest difference in size on the Aygo X Cross is the Width....it's actually wider than my last 2011 Rav4 and is wider than the Yaris Cross !!!

The width of the AygoX is an element that makes it a better car.

It's nicer to be inside in the front of the car with 2 people.. no armwrestling to be done.

Also it follows the tracks in the road better. The aygo2 went from left to right constantly on some highways here and that was a pain in the a**.

With aygoX,  no problem.

In my country the aygo and aygoX are the same in running cost as they have the same engine.

Tyres... yeah.. that is different but the X is a so much better car, it's worth it.

All aygo X's come with the safety pack standard. Read about it. This is a big plus too !

1 hour ago, 152bobby said:

Biggest difference in size on the Aygo X Cross is the Width....it's actually wider than my last 2011 Rav4 and is wider than the Yaris Cross !!!

Are you sure?? That can't be right - The Yaris Cross is massive!

The AygoX is shorter than a normal Yaris; If it was wider than the Yaris Cross too it'd look like a large Smart car/IQ!! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Hi,

I have owned all versions of the Aygo and now an Aygo X.

As regards fuel economy, although the same engine was used over the generations, small tunings were made. The fuel economy kept improving. My Aygo X beats all records by far but it is a CVT gearbox, which helps maintaining very low revs. Despite its looks, the Aygo X is not much heavier.

Concerning insurance costs, an Aygo X is more expensive. This is no surprise as the base price of a brand new Aygo X is almost twice that of the Aygo.

As for tyres, they are bigger with each generation. The smallest and cheapest were the tiny tyres on the mk1.

The Aygo X shares the same platform (TNGA-B) with the Yaris. The price has increased but the comfort as well. I would recommend an Aygo X or a recent mk2.

As for fuel averages :

my aygoII did 4.94 l/100 km

AygoX is on 4,85 l/100 km

Both cars are manarl transmission.

I am doing town traffic / cold starts / short rides at least half of the time so it can be better than this.

Slight difference between aygoII and (a bit better for) aygoX.

I would add to the previous post : check to see if there is oil consumption in every possible way as this is a thing that happens on these aygo engines. Especially for badly treated or badly maintained engines.

Also clutch problems are common and earlier as should be expected on manual and automatic gearboxes (the automatic is only a robotised manual box).

3 hours ago, tsikis007 said:

First of all I don’t trust the PSA 1.2L petrol engine. 

To be fair, Toyota have been using the same engine for years ever since the original dihatsu. They've obviously never had problems with it if they keep using it.

• Like 4

Maybe he was referring to the Peugeot 107 and c1 who were delivered with the PSA 1.2 engine.

• Like 1

As said, sensibly Toyota only ever used their own 1.0 in the Aygo Mk2, probably they remember the PSA diesel they put in the early Mk1 Aygos and what a disaster that was. Although Peugeot and Citroen used the PSA 1.2 in many versions of their Mk2 108s and C1s, think I noticed that towards the end of their MK2 production they were only selling C1s and 108s with the 1.0 Toyota engine, funny that!

As for running costs, for me, the main ones that have increased in recent years are road tax, as well as the initial cost of the car. Over it's life road tax has gone from very low, to zero, to quite high, but that is out of our control, bit like the cost of the car, because due to need for increasing safety tech/systems by authorities, the added cost has made a big difference, bearing in mind the original Mk1 was hardly a death trap, it had plenty of airbags, abs, ebd, etc., which was one reasons we got one as it had way more safety tech than the car it replaced.

• Like 3

i've only had an Aygo X since new in Sept 2023 until now, so can't quote on servicing costs and reliability yet. 

I average 55MPG on my use of the car, which is mostly 30ish miles a day commuting - and sitting in stop start traffic on the way home. I'm not driving it slowly, or trying to eek out as much MPG as possible - that's it being driven in a 'normal' manner. 

Tyres are a bit on the pricier side, but for an 18" wheel they're not going to be cheap. And as the size is unique to this/EV's you don't get the ditch finder makes - only the premium brands. But as the car is light and not powerful, i'd expect to see a tyre life of 30K miles without a fuss - so many years driving for most people. 

Servicing at the main dealers is circa £230 for minor/major and every 10k miles. So again, not a lot in comparison to others - especially when you consider past the 3 year factory warranty it extends it a further year. 

• Like 2

My tyre profile is on 5 mm now. I think / hope it was on 6 mm new.

Not a sure way to do the maths but I expect to do 32000 / 20k miles before needing a replacement. I am rather a calm than a normal driver.

If this becomes true, Michelin is not what it used to be at all.

300 euro for first maintenance here...  imho is very expensive.

For 2,8 liters of oil and 2 filters ?

I doubt about if I will keep on frequenting the dealer for this or not.

• Like 2

It's also been iterated on for years so any major issues would have been worked out by now. Given people have stuck turbo and super chargers on the poor thing and hooned it round race tracks and it's still not skipped a beat I think that's a pretty solid recommendation of its reliability! :laugh: 

The only Toyota engines to be a bit wary of are first generation engines (Or ones subject to major changes like when they started sticking DMFs and DPFs on the diesel engines!), as they tend to have not found all the kinks - I made that mistake with the 1NR-FE in my Mk2! - but they quickly figure out problems and causes and fix them, often even doing a voluntary recall or repair campaign if it's fairly serious, which is something almost no other marque does. By the time the 2nd gen of the engine is out it's usually as bullet-proof as you'd expect from Toyota.

So the rule is the same with computer software - Try to avoid Version 1! :laugh: 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to thank you all for your replies, but I can't make up my mind yet!

• Haha 1

If you need an automatic, get the AygoX, don't even think about the normal Aygo.

If you're after a manual, I think it will mostly come down to cost, as the X is a good chunk more expensive than the normal Aygo. The X is taller and wider, but about the same length so both are just as easy to park.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links