Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Eye Floaters

Bper

Anyone suffering from eye floaters as I have just come back from the opticians after another recent eye test, I have been suffering from these bl**dy things for a few years and have been looking at ways to get rid of them.

For those who do not know what they are, floaters are small dark shapes that float across your vision. They can look like spots, threads, squiggly lines, or even little cobwebs.

Most people have floaters that come and go, and they often don’t need treatment. But sometimes floaters can be a sign of a more serious eye condition and in many cases they don't go away and can have an impact on quality of life.

An operation called a vitrectomy is one way to get rid of these but the NHS is reluctant do this operation due to the risks involved and only carry this out for a retinal detachment or other serious eye problems.

The other way is a vitreolysis which is carried out by a yag laser to break the floaters up but this can have varying results and isn't guaranteed to completely remove them and can in some cases make them worse.

So is anyone else suffering from these annoying floaters and have you had any joy at getting rid of them by any other methods if not do they bother you on a daily basis.

• Like 3

Up to a couple of years ago, I used to have bouts of floaters on and off for years, which could get quite prominent at times. I have spoken to my optician a couple of times and, in general, not a right lot can be done about them. I can not recall having any floaters since I had my cataracts sorted out last April and May, although, in theory, that should not affect them, as the floaters are, as once described to me by an optician, just little specs that are in the vitreous contents of the eyeball. Because they are not in front of the eye, but behind the lens, they are magnified by a huge factor and so can look big when in your line of vision. Sorry I can not be more helpful Bob, but hopefully, they will settle down before long for you.

Edited by dannyboy413
spellink erra
  • Like 2

That's a coincidence Bob, only last Thursday after my crown completion at the dentist, not a ceremony, just a big bill.

I noticed what looks like a small spider web in my left eye, floating around in the direction of eyeball movement.

Rang the optician Friday, and they say it is urgent to check, and have an appointment next Friday, the earliest one they had.

No idea about any possible treatment yet until I speak to the opticians, it's great getting old eh?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

spellink erra

😆

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

have an appointment next Friday, the earliest one they had.

it's great getting old eh?

Let us know how you get on Paul. As regards getting old, it does have some advantages - one that immediately comes to mind is that, when I am doing the weekly shopping on a Thursday or Friday, (after dropping my wife at work 😉), I can stop off for coffee and toast if I want to. 😊

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

Up to a couple of years ago, I used to have bouts of floaters on and off for years, which could get quite prominent at times. I have spoken to my optician a couple of times and, in general, not a right lot can be done about them. I can not recall having any floaters since I had my cataracts sorted out last April and May, although, in theory, that should not affect them, as the floaters are, as once described to me by an optician, just little specs that are in the vitreous contents of the eyeball. Because they are not in front of the eye, but behind the lens, they are magnified by a huge factor and so can look big when in your line of vision. Sorry I can not be more helpful Bob, but hopefully, they will settle down before long for you.

Hi David, Did you know that eye floaters are very common after cataract surgery and can appear years later. I had cataract surgery in 2014 after a retinal detachment and it's only since Friday that one has appeared in my peripheral vision. The problem is I have a large floater in my right eye that has been there for over 8 years and floats in and out of my central vision. Unfortunately mine didn't settle down and that's why I am looking to get rid of them.😎

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bper said:

Did you know that eye floaters are very common after cataract surgery and can appear years later. 

Are you trying to spoil my week..............? 😉

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

That's a coincidence Bob, only last Thursday after my crown completion at the dentist, not a ceremony, just a big bill.

I noticed what looks like a small spider web in my left eye, floating around in the direction of eyeball movement.

Rang the optician Friday, and they say it is urgent to check, and have an appointment next Friday, the earliest one they had.

No idea about any possible treatment yet until I speak to the opticians, it's great getting old eh?

Hi Paul, I would not be to concerned as these are in most cases age related but B****y annoying. As I said in my post there are only a couple of ways to get rid of these but you will probably be told as I was many times learn to live with them. The truth is they will do these treatments privately but the NHS put you off with the risks involved in having a vitrectomy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

I'm sure we can see eye to eye over this😂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

Yep my week too😉,had both eyes cateracts done around 2018 at Barlborough treatment centre near Chesterfield,a few weeks apart.

Excellent people there, did my hip too in 2013.

All I need now are new lungs, heart and legs, and I'll be fine.

I reckon I will be worth more as spare parts than scrapping me whole, much as my old Yaris will be.

Not down about it though,no point in worrying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I always say that old age is a privilege that's not granted to everyone. And sometimes little sacrifices are needed to get there.

• Like 6

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

All you need to do is remember to wake up breathing. The rest takes care of itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's really freaky you mention this as I had one appear last week; I think I popped one of the small blood vessels on the surface of my eye while I was sleeping as when I woke up I felt no different but on looking in a mirror noticed half of the white part of my eyeball was all blood red (Which would have freaked me out more if a mate of mine hadn't had something similar years ago! :eek: )

since I couldn't feel anything, left it alone and it sorted it self out after a week or two, and I now have a normal non-freaky eyeball again, but then I noticed this tiny shadow which at first I thought was a fly but then realized it was something inside my eye; It's been slowly fading though so hoping it'll eventually dissolve or whatever...!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Yep my week too😉,had both eyes cateracts done around 2018 at Barlborough treatment centre near Chesterfield,a few weeks apart.

Excellent people there, did my hip too in 2013.

All I need now are new lungs, heart and legs, and I'll be fine.

I reckon I will be worth more as spare parts than scrapping me whole, much as my old Yaris will be.

Not down about it though,no point in worrying.

Paul, getting older isn't fun mate.

I called the incontinence hotline recently. They asked if I could hold.😂

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's really freaky you mention this as I had one appear last week; I think I popped one of the small blood vessels on the surface of my eye while I was sleeping as when I woke up I felt no different but on looking in a mirror noticed half of the white part of my eyeball was all blood red (Which would have freaked me out more if a mate of mine hadn't had something similar years ago! :eek: )

since I couldn't feel anything, left it alone and it sorted it self out after a week or two, and I now have a normal non-freaky eyeball again, but then I noticed this tiny shadow which at first I thought was a fly but then realized it was something inside my eye; It's been slowly fading though so hoping it'll eventually dissolve or whatever...!

Chances are Cyker that it will fade to nothing with age hopefully on your side?

But certainly worth a photo of the eye and diagnosis by a qualified optician, they have these really hi tech cameras at opticians now that can diagnose all kinds of possible problems, better to catch something before it becomes a real problem,as I am sure you know anyway.

• Like 3

I do not know if other opticians use the same or similar system, but I always go to Specsavers for my eye tests. I pay extra, (the actual eye test is free for over 70's in Ireland), for some other test, which does other things as well, but it shows up the blood vessels in and around the eye. Apparently, if read correctly, this test is quite valuable for showing the actual health of the eye.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Cyker said:

This has become a very common problem and many say it's attributed to over usage of PC’s laptops,phones,blue light and glare from car headlights. The reduction of light in our homes has also put strain on our vision. 

Opticians have told me they are seeing far more cases then ever. I was told today that a woman came in as one of her eyes had so many floaters in she couldn't see properly to work.

The optician told her after testing her eyes that she will have to live with them. 

I think it is always better to get your eyes tested if one of these floaters starts as it will confirm there are no underlying problems. I had one start on Friday and I made an appointment this morning and after a pressure and a scan test no problem found. The only issue now is how I get rid of the B****y thing. 

I agree with Paul get it checked out.👍

• Like 3

Yes David, it's Specsavers I have the appointment for next Friday, the lady on the dog and bone kept mentioning the £35 charge for dilating the eye and examination, and not to drive that day on the way to it, or after it.

So I will get a lift from my lady friend with the Aygo.

Compared with the cost of teeth being sorted, the £35 seems minimal.

• Like 2

The keys photo is nothing to do with this

Don't know how I have done it, apologies 😭

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Yes David, it's Specsavers I have the appointment for next Friday, the lady on the dog and bone kept mentioning the £35 charge for dilating the eye and examination, and not to drive that day on the way to it, or after it.

So I will get a lift from my lady friend with the Aygo.

Compared with the cost of teeth being sorted, the £35 seems minimal.

IMG_20231216_184018.jpg

Paul, you do not have to pay anything other then £10 for the OCT scan. eye tests or the eyes being dilated is free. Specsavers receive money  from the NHS for one of the tests and they will ask you for your doctors details so they can claim the money.

I had this done the morning at Specsavers so I know exactly what you should pay. You are also retired so eye tests are free. 

Do not pay anything other then the £10 for the OCT test.👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to get the picture of the back of the eye done by my optician until the NHS decided more paper pushing was needed so they started doing it in house and from that point on I had to pay if I wanted my optician to do it.

It does bug me somewhat because the expert was taking the pictures at the optician and they would talk to you about the pictures. At the NHS the nurse has no idea what she is looking at and they cannot discuss it with you.

Far and away the  worst bit abut moving to the NHS was that the optician gave me the pictures on USB and I wrote some software that looked for changes between the last picture and the current one. I can no longer use that software because the NHS will not give me the pictures.

• Like 3

Hi John, what type of scan- picture did you have taken of your eye that the optician used to do but the NHS decided to do it in house.?:smile:

I had an NHS eye test at Specsavers.  About a week later I experienced both floaters and flashers. 

The latter at night which I initially put down to static electricity.  I then found I got it with head movement. 

Around the same time I experienced floaters for the first time.

Straight back to the optician who explained the issue and then gave me two printed booklets.  I was much relieved that it was so common there were booklets.

• Like 1

The floaters had first occurred while driving towards a brilliant blue sky and pure white sunlit clouds. 

Apparently that is the perfect light to see them.  I have not noticed them since.

• Like 1

Hi John.  I don’t think the NHS are allowed to keep info ABOUT you FROM you.  I would ask them to explain their reasons for doing this.  Also, I believe they have to pass info about you to your GP - perhaps he/she could assist you in obtaining the details you require?

Concerning floaters, I’ve had these for years (I’m 88) and never been given any advice regarding removal of them.

I have distortion in my right eye and, about a year ago, visited the eye hospital for an examination.  I was told a film had formed that resembled crinkled cling film and could be removed to cure the problem.  Repair is not time-sensitive, so I may wait until I require cataract surgery (probably needed sooner rather than later) and get it all sorted in one go.  I have not ruled out going private for this.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links