Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine fails to start

Eid

I have a toyota Aygo 2007. I parked it last night and it was Okay. Today I can't start it. The engine turns but refuses to start. The Battery is totally fine. I thought it could be from the Battery and connected it to another car. It didn't start again. I did a push to start and still didn't work. I connceted a code reader and it doesn't show any error at all.

It's really weird as I have never had such experience before.

Please share your experience

• Sad 1

Immobilizer? Do you have another key you can try?

• Like 2

I don't have any idea about immobiliser. I have only one key.

Battery inside the key not strong enough ?

Doesn't immobiliser throw a code .. ? Usually does.. how cheap is your code reader ?

Basics is wondering if you have "food" (= petrol) (>> fuel pump etc) and spark (plugs , coil(s) ).

Chain ok ? Air filter ok ? (Less likely I think)

There are some trics to determine that.. maybe see a clear explanation on youtube. 

Or best always : get it to a garage and let them figure it out.

• Like 3

Can you hear the fuel pump prime ??

Just changed the key Battery (remote battery).

I dont see a code on the screen.

The fuel tank is half filled.

I will take it to a garage if I can't fix it by myself.

Thanks

The fuel pump looks okay. I hear the sound

The only thing I did was I changed the key case which is just a poliece of plastic and I don't think it had any effect on the key.

Just now, Eid said:

The only thing I did was I changed the key case which is just a poliece of plastic and I don't think it had any effect on the key.

Piece

22 minutes ago, Eid said:

If you changed your key case, did you swap the immobiliser chip from the old case to the new? First thing find that old key case hopefully you still have it or it in your rubbish bin and you can retrieve it. 

this may help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ut oh... do you still have the old case?? On some Toyotas, and I think the Aygo is one, the immobilizer disarm chip is in it!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Can confirm what Cyker states above! My partners C1 has two keys, one in daily use with the remote central locking buttons and the original none remote key. Both keys have a small chip inside the plastic cases. They are easily missed if your swapping the black plastic cases! They're graphite coloured and about 1cm long sitting in a little compartment and just need to placed in the new case.

Retrieve the old case if you can Eid, otherwise the car won't start!

• Like 5

Thanks Puglet and Cyker.

You saved me today.

I just took the old key case out of bin and found the chip. Changed it and started the engine.

I appreciate it.

So happy now ☺ 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eid said:

Here, you kind of found the cause of the problem yourself... 

• Like 3

Phew, glad you sorted it! Good thing you hadn't taken out the trash yet; You dodged a bullet there!! There's no easy way to make a new key without at least one working master key.

Might be worth thinking about getting a spare key...!

• Like 4

Everybody should have two working keys at least ! No exceptions..  🤐

• Like 6

Glad you found it and saved yourself a whole lot of pain. Many peeps have made similar mistake, they swap over the remote locking circuit board, but don't realise the very important immobiliser chip is separate. Having each in separate parts of the key case doesn't help. 

A good mantra when swapping the key case is do not throw anything away until you know the new key/case starts and runs the car.

I had to do mine last year cos eventually the key case rubber remote buttons disintegrate, but thanks to sites like this knew the pitfalls so knew what to look for.

• Like 3

Yes, I've fallen foul of this before. I had a Citroen Xsara Picasso and the key fob fell apart. Fortunately the chip dropped into the footwell and I spotted it.

• Like 2

not the first time it has happened and I'm sure it won't be the last, time to get another key programmed, all keys lost is a mare

1559096243_mk1aygokeychip.thumb.jpg.59cf4b960bb590ea695e7a71cd563571.jpg

• Like 4

It always seems really stupid to me to make them black. No reason why they cannot be red or yellow or any other colour just so that they can be seen when you open the case and can be found when they take up skydiving.

• Like 4

Probably just nobody thought of it; The key isn't meant to be opened on a regular basis and they probably didn't expect people to change cases themselves, so I guess it just didn't come up. Small seemingly inconsequential details like that can slip through easily in big projects.

It's a bit moot now tho' as the chip is usually built into the remote module block in newer models rather than being separate. Harder to accidentally loose that! :laugh: 

• Like 4

The best thing to do with it is to fasten it to the steering lock under the cover and leave it there. Problem solved for ever.

You could as well glue your second key in the right place and you will never forget your key any more either.

I wonder why I never did like that, ever..

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

The best thing to do with it is to fasten it to the steering lock under the cover and leave it there. Problem solved for ever.

I knew someone who did that with their car and started it with a flat-head screwdriver because the lock was so smegged :laugh: 

(To clarify, it wasn't an Aygo, but some old banger. Maybe an austin metro or something like that?? I forget...! :confused1:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I knew someone who did that with their car and started it with a flat-head screwdriver because the lock was so smegged :laugh: 

(To clarify, it wasn't an Aygo, but some old banger. Maybe an austin metro or something like that?? I forget...! :confused1:)

It didn't really matter so much losing keys back then, most quarter lights could be praised open carefully, and on the bangers I had any flat blade,or worn key from another car would work the ignition on the dashboard, before those new fangled steering wheel locks/ignition barrels came along.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links