Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Doomsday Clock

Haliotis

It has been widely reported in the news that the Doomsday Clock is at its most deadly position - 90 seconds to midnight - which was given in 2023 and remains at this setting for 2024.  What are the world’s leaders thinking of, to even allow themselves to quarrel into such a state of suicidal tension?   The combined global nuclear ubiknal is capable of total global annihilation hundreds of times over.  What is the point of that?  What use is this power when, if ever it was unleashed, there would be nobody left to care about who won and who lost?  There must be many millions of ordinary people, simply interested in living out their lives in peace, and seeing their offspring prosper, who will be terrified over this “Clock”.

What is the point of worrying about global warming, which is a relatively long term problem (if it truly exists), when in the shorter term there is this threat of everyone being wiped out by some madman?  Personally, I wish that nuclear fission had never been discovered.

The Doomsday Clock isn't just about the global nuclear threat, but also indicates dangers from climate change.

I take his point though.  Climate change will happen; nuclear armageddon is something we can control. 

My job used to be delivery of buckets of sunshine.  Reflecting on the past, retaliation would have been a pointless exercise yet the threat of retaliation had to be real.

Dennis Healey, as Minister of Defence (and one of our better ones), said he would not have pressed the button.  OTOH Jim Callaghan said he would. 

When J Robert Oppenheimer created the Doomsday Clock in 1947, climate change was unheard of, and recent media comments have not included climate change as a factor in setting the Clock.

The greatest threat is the ability of producing nuclear weapons spreading into volatile countries which are run by religious fanatics - people who are quite ready to obliterate the planet, in the firm belief that they will be going to “somewhere better”.  Although brought up in the Christian Faith, I am an agnostic - something beyond death would be nice, but I fervently believe in preserving what we know we have got.  

I have often wondered, if the whole world got on well together, how much better could we have been if all that wealth had not been wasted on wars?

@Haliotis volatile countries which are run by religious fanatics - people who are quite ready to obliterate the planet, in the firm belief that they will be going to “somewhere better”.  

The only thing I would say is these fanatical leaders don't seem to want to test that theory of somewhere better themselves. 

16 hours ago, Haliotis said:

ubiknal

You were Ubik'ed It took me a while to realise you were talking about a premier division football team.

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

You were Ubik'ed It took me a while to realise you were talking about a premier division football team.

I edited it twice, but didn’t notice it had still changed back - the word should have read `a-r-s-e-n-a-l’ . I assume that was too close to an unpleasant body part!😃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

@Haliotis volatile countries which are run by religious fanatics - people who are quite ready to obliterate the planet, in the firm belief that they will be going to “somewhere better”.  

The only thing I would say is these fanatical leaders don't seem to want to test that theory of somewhere better themselves. 

Roy, I don’t even want to think of some madman being prepared to “put it to the test”. There is always the risk of some extremist power saying, “If I can’t have things my way, I’ll do it.”  Putin strongly hinted this when he told the West to keep out of his war with Ukraine.

The doomsday clock is no different from those that banged on thousands of years ago that the world was going to end and we would see the second coming of Ch***t.

People are scared that the world will be blown up by some middle eastern or chinese dictator or Ras-Putin.

The reality is that it’s not in the interest of any of these to either start or launch a nuclear bomb against any western nation. What needs to be understood is that it's all about money and power. 

People need to understand that those that want war create war and those that create war fund war. When enough money has been made off the back of this they then fund the rebuilding on both sides.

Those that hold the real power ensure this will never happen as they preserve the power and control for their future generations.

The ordinary citizen see and read what they want them to and they create fear when appropriate. It's also about distraction. Whilst we worry they make hay behind the scenes with plans and schemes shaping the world in the way they want it to go.

People really do not have a clue what really goes on in the world and how it has been manipulated by a few who control the lot with money and power.

Would I honestly worry about the world ending or nuclear war? my answer is no.😀

They say if you want to find out who the real power is “Follow the money”.

• Like 3

Armageddon! Armageddon!

Ahm a geddan outa here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bper said, “Would I honestly worry about the world ending in nuclear war? My answer is no.

Well, the Japanese might not agree with that!  Oppenheimer and his team knew what would happen when the A-bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.  They could have warned Japan and arranged a demonstration of what would happen.  Why they did not is anybody’s guess, and their reasons for actually doing it can only be surmised.  The argument is there to say it was to save the lives of many American military. But Japanese civilians were chosen to suffer instead.

Bearing in mind that an H-bomb can be given the necessary power to hit the enemy without the blast reaching the aggressor’s homeland, the discouragement to use it isn’t that strong.

You have said it yourself, Bob - it’s all about money and power. So, if some leader feels that he needs it, and life without it isn’t worth living, then he may well decide the risk is worth the taking.  

Albert, these people are put in these positions by the people who have the real power. They are given free rein along with money and power within their own domain.

They are kept a close eye on to make sure they do what they are told and to scare when told. They haven't got their fingers on the proverbial button as those around them are also there to keep a close eye to ensure this never happens.

They will not step out of line as they crave the position they are placed in. 

A leader doesn't need to crave money he already has it. 

Nuclear weapons are there as a threat or deterrent and will not be used. Don't believe any films that portray this as they are designed to psychologically instill an element of fear of potential destruction of the earth.

The first thought for most people are their children and families - job done. Manipulation is very easy you just have to see behind the curtain. If I was to make one constructive piece of advice it would be to do your own investigation and it will open up your eyes to how this world really works and who controls it.

Regarding the the Atom bomb it was dropped to send a clear message of the consequences of stepping out of line. It done it's Job. Lives lost are unimportant to those that have the real power.:smile:

• Like 1

In the words of private fraiser “ we’re doomed” ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bob, you said it right at the end. “Lives lost are unimportant to those who have the real power”.

General Sir Patrick Sanders, head of the British Army, is already sabre-rattling, saying, “British citizens should be “trained and equipped” to fight in a potential war with Russia - as Moscow plans on defeating our system and way of life”

The news media are already discussing the need to introduce conscription to swell our depleted forces. But how can they force our young people into service?  In such a situation, were I a young man, I would say that I was not going to be conscripted whilst thousands of immigrants were living in hotels with free board and £45 a week pocket money.  If they want to live in the UK, let them serve two years in military service.

A bit off the nuclear button topic, but closely related to it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links