Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

If/When Using my Space Saver Wheel !!

152bobby

I'm just always thinking maybe/if/what happens etc when I may need to use my space saver wheel and have to drive at 50mph and pi** absolutely everyone off.

So I thought of getting something like in the photo below to keep in the boot with my space saver wheel.

But I just cannot find such a thing.  I did order one from cautionsigns.co.uk, but I ordered one from them months ago and have never received it and I constantly emailed them and have never got a reply.  So they are obviously scammers still trading.

Has anyone got such a thing for the rear window, should I ever need it !!

Screenshot_20240127-155508.png

• Like 1

My question would be, why? At most you'll be 10mph under on a national speed limit single carriageway road - which is where over taking might be trickier for other road users. On a multilane carriageway you'll be with the flow of Lorries. 

I'd not worry over it and trying to 'warn' others. 50mph is not overly slow on a NSL road. 

• Like 2

Ok, think about it, if I'm on a dual carriageway and anyone behind a Aygo just has to get in front of it.  Its the biggest issue I have to downsizing to such a small car !! And what if I'm on a motorway after a wheel change !!!  There will be he'll to pay, they don't know I have a space saver fitted !!

I drive frequently on motorways and do 70mph and ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER car I see does 70mph because they all whizz passed me.  Only buses and trucks never overtake me.

So I don't care what anyone says, I'm going to find such a sign and good luck to anyone on a dual carriageway or motorway with a space saver fitted !!

Just a thought - why not print your own using the computer and printer, (or get someone to do it for you)? You could then put it in a see through document holder and just sellotape it to the rear window if and when needed.

• Thanks 1

Yes, that's my plan B option

13 hours ago, 152bobby said:

Ok, think about it, if I'm on a dual carriageway and anyone behind a Aygo just has to get in front of it.  Its the biggest issue I have to downsizing to such a small car !! And what if I'm on a motorway after a wheel change !!!  There will be he'll to pay, they don't know I have a space saver fitted !!

I drive frequently on motorways and do 70mph and ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER car I see does 70mph because they all whizz passed me.  Only buses and trucks never overtake me.

So I don't care what anyone says, I'm going to find such a sign and good luck to anyone on a dual carriageway or motorway with a space saver fitted !!

If your concern is that everyone wants to overtake you, then going slower only facilitates that...... And you'll be plodding along in lane 1 with the lorries - unless you're a middle lane driver(?!)

You can do what you like of course, but it'll make no difference to people's behaviour regardless. People ignore many large illuminated signs giving them information about the road ahead - pretty sure a small sign saying you have a space saver wheel won't be top of their priority list. 

On dual carriageways all trucks aim to driver at 60 +/- 0.1 mph.  Your Aygo at 50 would be like a rat or other vermin.  Once they are riding your bumper you may even be below their line of vision. 

The only time you can justify continuing on a high speed truck route is for a time critical journey- say a hospital appointment or a flight departure. Other times go get the tyre repaired or limp home and wait until you can get it fixed.

I wouldn't worry in the least Bobby, hopefully it'll never happen, but if it does we'll all just need to deal with it, and give you a wave as we overtake you  😄

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DJ123 said:

.......People ignore many large illuminated signs giving them information about the road ahead -

Sadly I've seen dozens of "Large illuminated signs" that are simply untrue. However, there are speed restrictions associated with them. Usually to 60mph, then another 60mph then a drop to 50mph. Guess which one has the speed camera on it.... This happens time and time and time again while there is absolutely nothing in or on the road.

The "best" one we saw was "Pedestrians on the road" on the M1. But, no blue lights, or indeed an other sort of "official" response and absolutley no sign of any pedestrians/broken down vehicle that might have given rise to a pedestrian. I should have thought it reasonable for there to be a great deal of "action" if there were folks walking up the M1. Perhaps there was someone a little time a go which has been resolved but in that case what's the reason for the signs to still be "on" if there's no longer a hazard?

Conversely I've had the exceptionally scary experience of having a "flat" which resulted in Lane 1 having a "Red Cross" sign (managed to pull off the M'way itself). Which the truckers ignored........ Even when they could see me, they stayed in Lane 1.....

Is it a surprise when folks ignore the signs when their experience tells them that there's no hazard there? "Crying wolf" springs to mind.

Of course, one day there shall be......

Andy

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about doing 50mph - I find these days it's very common for random people to be doing 50mph on the motorway, at least down here, and people have adapted.

Truck drivers are pretty good at spotting that and will overtake early if they can see their closing speed is fairly high, as if they end up tailgating you they won't be able to overtake because they can't accelerate quickly, so most of them will move over well in advance to avoid that, or if it's busy they'll either settle behind you or back off even more to create an acceleration gap, kinda like how I had to in my old Fiesta :laugh: .

That said, I spend 90% of my time in the left lane and frequently blast past lines of people in the middle and right lane because there is someone doing 50 or less in the middle and causing a tailback as people get stuck behind them :laugh: 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AndyN01 said:

Sadly I've seen dozens of "Large illuminated signs" that are simply untrue. However, there are speed restrictions associated with them. Usually to 60mph, then another 60mph then a drop to 50mph. Guess which one has the speed camera on it.... This happens time and time and time again while there is absolutely nothing in or on the road.

The "best" one we saw was "Pedestrians on the road" on the M1. But, no blue lights, or indeed an other sort of "official" response and absolutley no sign of any pedestrians/broken down vehicle that might have given rise to a pedestrian. I should have thought it reasonable for there to be a great deal of "action" if there were folks walking up the M1. Perhaps there was someone a little time a go which has been resolved but in that case what's the reason for the signs to still be "on" if there's no longer a hazard?

Conversely I've had the exceptionally scary experience of having a "flat" which resulted in Lane 1 having a "Red Cross" sign (managed to pull off the M'way itself). Which the truckers ignored........ Even when they could see me, they stayed in Lane 1.....

Is it a surprise when folks ignore the signs when their experience tells them that there's no hazard there? "Crying wolf" springs to mind.

Of course, one day there shall be......

Andy

i agree that many are fruitless. However it was an analogy as to what people choose to ignore, as opposed to a discussion on what people do/don't decide to follow - akin to a sticker on someone's car, whether that be an 'L' plate, 'P' plate, on tow, and so on.....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DJ123 said:

i agree that many are fruitless. However it was an analogy as to what people choose to ignore, as opposed to a discussion on what people do/don't decide to follow - akin to a sticker on someone's car, whether that be an 'L' plate, 'P' plate, on tow, and so on.....

Many of these generate a 'so what's thought.  An L or P simply means blast passed as soon as you can, particularly at roundabouts.   Or 'follow at your peril'.

Child on board or Show dog on board are excellent signs only if displayed when true  as it can warn emergency services post accident. 

Saw a brilliant notice on the back of a Czech truck yesterday "Keep 100m back or you will be shot".  Tellingly it was written in Arabic as well as English.

I could not see the gun ports. 

As an aside, we had some software from a small boutique company.  They were trying to market an anti-carjack device.  While we all wish for a pair of 0.5 inch Brownings to deter tailgaters their kit was an acoustic-visual simulator. 

It was intended for the Iraqi market.   Could it be legal here? 🤔 

• Haha 2

Not sure, but definitely more legal than the south african flame thrower I posted in another thread! :laugh: 

Could go to a ricer meet and ask if they can share their exhaust pop and bang map - that'd give anyone a fright :laugh: 

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links